Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Supporters Trust

In his comments to AFKA's outstanding blog, imissthepeanutman suggests that now is perhaps the time to set up a Supporters Trust.

I reckon that this is a smart and timely suggestion. What do others think? If you need to know more , as I did, about how they work in general, go tohttp://www.supporters-direct.org/home.asp?country=engwal

Comments

• Options
    Not just now but generally I've felt it has been a good idea for a while.

The situation now will, however, give some impetus to the idea.

I just hope that it is taken forward by some young gun slingers and not the same old names.
  • Options
    I definately think its worth exploring and confess i need to do some reading as i don't know enough at present on how these organisations work.
  • Options
    Supporters' Direct are quite pro-active and happy to come out and meet with fans to discuss what they do and how it can work.

I'll give them you number AFKA : - )

Seriously this is something that the Fans' Forum should, IMHO, be looking into.
  • Options
    actually i suggested it within the thread re The Pitch Owners fund raising idea.

still cant have one of the "dark side " being right can we.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]still cant have one of the "dark side " being right can we.
    Racist!
  • Options
    please explain that WSS
  • Options
    Sorry, i missed a ";-)"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]please explain that WSS

I think it may have been a joke about "Dark" but could be wrong ; - )

You did mention it recently GH. I few other people have also mentioned it.

There was even a meeting with Supporters' direct in 2006. Inspector Sands was there as well as some other Charlton fans. It was a no-goer then for two reasons IMHO

We were in the Prem and people didn't see a need

The people running it, or one in particular, was unlikely to attract support for the Trust among fans or within the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Seriously this is something that the Fans' Forum should, IMHO, be looking into.

Don't see this as a Fans Forum issue to be honest. I think their brief and remit as it stands give them plenty to concentrate on and try and make a difference with.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Seriously this is something that the Fans' Forum should, IMHO, be looking into.

Don't see this as a Fans Forum issue to be honest. I think their brief and remit as it stands give them plenty to concentrate on and try and make a difference with.

True but I think the existing structure of the FF and the good work they are doing is a foot in the door.

There is already a body of fans working with the club so one next logical step is to formalise that relationship in the form of the trust.

That's not to say that a Trust couldn't or shouldn't be created alongside the FF.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so you think the FF are doing a good job? thats nice to hear after all the hoo ha you and a few othes made when they put their initial points in to the Board.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]so you think the FF are doing a good job? thats nice to hear after all the hoo ha you and a few othes made when they put their initial points in to the Board.

Yes, I've always thought that they are doing a good job and I've told them that on here and privately on many occasions.

No, I didn't like the way the Statement of Intent letter was worded and I said so as I didn't want want I thought, rightly or wrongly, were some over harsh words, to detract from the core idea of the letter and all the other good work they were doing and are doing.
  • Options
    okay i havent seen encouragement from you rather than just that afternoon when all the whispers went wrong for all to see.
  • Options
    I am also in favour of a Supporters Trust. I seem to remember that when it was looked at a while back, the feeling was that we didn't need one as the board were doing a brilliant job.....:o) Actually I thought at the time that for that reason alone, it was sensible to form one. If we'd formed one when things were going well, it would have been in a strong position if things went t*ts up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I am also in favour of a Supporters Trust. I seem to remember that when it was looked at a while back, the feeling was that we didn't need one as the board were doing a brilliant job.....:o) Actually I thought at the time that for that reason alone, it was sensible to form one. If we'd formed one when things were going well, it would have been in a strong position if things went t*ts up.

Interesting point Bing - all the more reason to get moving now
  • Options
    I reckon that this really is an excellent idea. From my very limited reading so far, it would seem that a when a club is in crisis, it is one of the best times to form a Supporters Trust as it can have a galvanising effect. I would hope that the FF reps would support the idea but it is a fundamentally different concept and thus I feel that a Supporters Trust should start from scratch with full transparency rather than going the FF route as the reps are appointed by the club. I mean no disrespect whatever in saying that, the FF reps are solid, but they are not democratically elected.
  • Options
    @stilladdicted

I agree with you. I'd hope we could find a way to combine the strengths of both concepts. I'd like to hear what Dave and TelinOz think of the ST idea.