Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky on the OS

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
regarding squad for next season, he states after the game today, and I quote " if we add some firepower and threat upfront......"

feck me. The only 2 recogonised strikers in the squad of 16 were Burton & Kandol, both of whom HE brought to this club. The buck stops there with him !.

and the directors want to keep this knobjocky !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    The alternative explanation is that Parky has already been offered a suitable payoff on condition that he talks positively about the future plans. I know that is a very 'rose-tinted' view given the experience of the last few years but I'm sticking with it for now.
  • Options
    Played with one up front till we got relegated then, and I quote " if we add some firepower and threat upfront......"??
  • Options
    Every set of supporters, every manager, every team throughout history has talked of extra firepower, a partnership up front, a 20 goal a season striker and so on. One of the most refreshing things I ever read was Adrian Boothroyd, when Watford were on their way up, they sold, I think it was Helgeson, fans were upset and asked who on earth was going to score the goals now, his answer was 'the other players'. No whinge, realised that you have 11 players in yout team, and he would have to sort it, organise it so 'another player' would score. Not sitting on his backside waiting for manna from heaven.
  • Options
    unlike pardew, he had no money to buy better
    not that pardew did buy better in McLeod and Varney
  • Options
    In my history of supporting Charlton I can think of few natural goal scorers - Hales, Mendonca, Hunt and D.Bent, its not easy to get them in. Not wishing to defend Parkie, but maybe Burton and Kandol was the best we could get, when inherting a doomed team. The real issue is the failure this season of our lead strikers Gray, Todorov (yes he is still here) and Varney, who were suppossed to shoot us out of this division - well I suppose they did that.
  • Options
    Lets be honest its hardly likely Parkinson will be here next season and he is doing himself no favours by attempting to hang on but as always
    it is about the impending payoff!
    Nothing new in that but surprised the board have taken this route over the season?
    I would really love to know what the board's 'cunning plan is' though?
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually, goals haven't really been the problem, have they?

Ironically, if you look at the table, I think only Norwich in the bottom eight have scored more goals than us.

Our problems have been more to do with schoolboy errors by clowns like Hudson at the other end of the pitch - and indeed, the failure of just about everyone in the team to defend as we seem at our worst defensively when we're in the lead and we pull all 11 back behind the ball !

Congrats to Chris Iwelumo. As we head off to div three, I wonder how he'll fare in the premiership with Wolves?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Congrats to Chris Iwelumo. As we head off to div three, I wonder how he'll fare in the premiership with Wolves?

Letsw hope he gets a chance
  • Options
    I agree with him, it's not his fault Pardew spent millions on Varney, Gray, McLeod, plus wages on Todorov, Lita and Iwelumo. With that sort of money, we should have had a few decent strikers in the first place. We would have done better last season and this season.

I'm also certain if we had better strikers, we'd be playing two up front.

He signed Kandol and Burton because they were the best available. Pardew signed Waghorn on loan who was no better either. What are you supposed to do, bottom of the league, no money, and no decent strikers? Do you keep playing what you've got? Or bring some in to at least give a bit of competition?
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Every set of supporters, every manager, every team throughout history has talked of extra firepower, a partnership up front, a 20 goal a season striker and so on. One of the most refreshing things I ever read was Adrian Boothroyd, when Watford were on their way up, they sold, I think it was Helgeson, fans were upset and asked who on earth was going to score the goals now, his answer was 'the other players'. No whinge, realised that you have 11 players in yout team, and he would have to sort it, organise it so 'another player' would score. Not sitting on his backside waiting for manna from heaven.

Which is exactly why he played 4-5-1. It gives all five of the midfield more freedom to get forward.

He only put Burton and Kandol in the squad yesterday because the rest of them are even worse. Todorov's not in because he's not put in enough effort in training, everyone wants to see hard working players in the team. Dickson has shown he's not really a Championship player and Tuna is 17, only scored a few goals for the reserves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Congrats to Chris Iwelumo. As we head off to div three, I wonder how he'll fare in the premiership with Wolves?

Otherwise he'll get sent back here .......

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

Otherwise he'll get sent back here .......

;o)

We could do worse ... oh yes we have!!!
  • Options
    Burton and Kandol...... not for me, even in the lower division. We seem to be grasping at straws here. As others have posted, Gray, Varney, Todorov, and co were the players that Pards invested in and it did not work......

The earlier pair mentioned do not look up to scratch to me. That is of course if they stay!. Not really sure any of the 'experienced' forwards shone this year so to me get rid!......

I assume the plan is to aim for promotion next year! How many of this lot would you want back in the first team in 12 months time in the championship!.... assuming we get back there.
  • Options
    At the moment, I don't think we can worry about 12 months time in the Championship, Ken.

First we'll have our work cut out to bring together a competitive team unit with backbone and mental strength, and sufficient ability to put in a promotion challenge.

At this stage, our focus must be on next season only...... ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]At this stage, our focus must be on next season only...... ?

Definitely. IF we get promoted, we would have done a good job on re-building the squad, will have a winning mentality.

Look at Peterborough, two promotions in a row, and Swansea have carried on playing good football and are doing well in their first Championship season. If we're good enough to get promoted back to this league, I'm sure we'll be good enough to at least stay up, if not finish in mid table.
  • Options
    Well backbone and mental strength...... have been sorely missing from our present team, so of course,...... but that is what I expect of a manager to provide! which is where we came in!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Well backbone and mental strength...... have been sorely missing from our present team, so of course,...... but that is what I expect of a manager to provide! which is where we came in!

Definitely agreed there, Ken !