Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bailey Comments on OS

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
But at the end of the day, I've still got two years left on my contract and I'm part of the reason that Charlton went down, so there's no reason why I deserve to get a move anywhere. If I'm here next year I'll always pull on the shirt and wear it with pride."
It's unusual I take footballers comments with any more than a pinch of salt - and he may well go anyway. But, what a fantastically grounded statement from our best player.
Jonathan Fortune, Svetoslav Todorov and Matt Spring were all handed 'Palace medals' for scoring important efforts against Charlton's rivals from Selhurst Park over the last few years.[\quote]
Bit sad that, given the circumstances of our season, tbh.

Comments

• Options
    "If I'm here next year" is not quite as good as "I'd like to stay to get us out of League One" thought is it..
  • Options
    Just what he's said at least once before. He will stay if no one comes in for him, if a Championship (or better, but I can't see it) club come in for him, he gives the impression he'll want to go.
  • Options
    Think it may just depend on 'where' he may be asked to move to.....he's very much the family man and is very very close to his wife and her in laws in Forest Hill they have just had a new baby too...Alfie, I 'm sure they wouldn't be too happy at the thought of being very far away.
  • Options
    Surely this is the most interesting part of the quote:

''I'm part of the reason that Charlton went down, so there's no reason why I deserve to get a move anywhere.''

Humility and responsibility from a professional footballer - what is the world coming to?

Extra glad he won POTY now. What a refreshing and honest thing for him to say (even if it turns out to be said as he prepares to head out of the door!).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Think it may just depend on 'where' he may be asked to move to.....he's very much the family man and is very very close to his wife and her in laws in Forest Hill they have just had a new baby too...Alfie, I 'm sure they wouldn't be too happy at the thought of being very far away.

Could see someone like QPR coming in for him then, would suit him in that situation. A bit further away, maybe Ipswich? Both of them have money, they'll be able to make offers that clubs like Palace and Watford won't be able to afford.

Thinking about it he has always played in the south, so maybe that'll rule out the Northern teams?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Surely this is the most interesting part of the quote:

''I'm part of the reason that Charlton went down, so there's no reason why I deserve to get a move anywhere.''

Humility and responsibility from a professional footballer - what is the world coming to?

Extra glad he won POTY now. What a refreshing and honest thing for him to say (even if it turns out to be said as he prepares to head out of the door!).
    Yeah, that was the bit that caught my eye. I should have just posted that bit of the quote.

It's not just footballers. With the blame culture in society (and given the number of goals he's weighed in with), it'd be easy and not unreasonable for him to absolve himself of guilt for this year.