Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2-0 Leicester City 28/04/92

edited April 2009 in General Charlton
A game too far in what was a fantastic first season for Curbs and Gritt?
Penultimate home game with 10000 away fans making the trip.
Superb first half goals from Lee and Whyte.
Tranmere and Bristol Rovers followed after this with both resulting on 1-0 defeats.
Great season.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2009
    We were talking about this on the Magic bus. Great game with all the LCFC coming round into the other stand as there were so many of them.

NB Surely this wasn't the game too far. That would have been Tranmere.
  • Options
    David Whyte was awesome in that game.

Really thought we had signed a bit of magic when we got him
  • Options
    Make Henry right: Tranmere on the Tuesday night afterwards was the game too far.

Remember we hammered them but just couldn't get the ball in the net.

Great season that one though.
  • Options
    That Tranmere game at Upton Park was a real kick in the goolies.
    All over them yet lost 1-0.

It just wasn't our night.
  • Options
    Remember the season well, the first at Upon Park - Bolder, Pitcher, Wilder, Minto, Barness, Gritt, Bumstead, Pardew, Webster, Balmer, Gatting, Lee, Bacon, Leaburn, Nelson, Gorman, Walsh, Dyer, Hendrie and Whyte (two loan strikers). Just about covers it. Ended up in 7th place with 6th placed Blackburn winning the play-offs so claim a place in the newly formed Premier League.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]That Tranmere game at Upton Park was a real kick in the goolies.
    All over them yet lost 1-0.

It just wasn't our night.

Wasn't it that annoying tw*t John Aldridge that scored as well?
  • Options
    It was the only time I ever wanted an away team to score a pen against us....

I had £10 on 2-1 Charlton 14/1 I thought let them nick one at the end were hold on to a 2-1 and I will clear up!

Thanks Bob!

It was the player of year party that same night down at the waterfront in woolwich I think?
  • Options
    David Whyte Whyte Whyte

What a player he looked (when he wasn't on the pies and booze). Sad figure now, by all accounts.
  • Options
    David Whyte was a fantastic striker and on fire that day.

Hundreds/Thousands of Leicester fans hopped over the turnstiles that day.

Tranmere always used to do us at home during that period. Really annoying team.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That was a great day

Leicster moving onto the Chicken run and a few of their chaps trying to take the North Lower at Upton Park, A few of us younguns( B mob pretenders) and a lot of the older lot holding em off by the advertising hordings never forget seeing a guy in a chicken suit on the Chicken run and wondering what the fuk was that about got talking to a Liecester fan years later and him saying it was beacuse they had a player called Brewster playing and they used to sing a bout a rooster for him ?

remember a good few em of giving us a chase outside round by the Boleyn

if oohaa ever needed to talk about away support they bought fecking loads
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    9000 NLA...remember it well mate....big JC was next to me giving it the verbals and there was me seeing the Alamo :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]9000 NLA...remember it well mate....big JC was next to me giving it the verbals and there was me seeing the Alamo :-)

I remember the game well - Leicester needed a point or two for promotion/get into the pay-offs and they expected to come down, kickus off the park and walk away with the necessary points and promotion. As others have said David Whyte was on top form that day and Leicester not only went home empty handed but lost the next couple of games and missed out on promotion. Travelling on the tube to the match (and home) was "fun", Leicester's mob (the Baby Squad) were one of the more feared crews around at that time and made B Mob look like well B Mob.

Then we played Tranmere who for some reason were our voodoo team in the early 90s, no matter how well we played we always lost to them. They too were on the verge of promotion that year and screwed up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]9000 NLA...remember it well mate....big JC was next to me giving it the verbals and there was me seeing the Alamo :-)

Leicester's mob (the Baby Squad) were one of the more feared crews around at that time and made B Mob look like well B Mob.

Explain
  • Options
    From what i can recall BFR our B mob held their own quite well at times especially when we were up against some larger numbers i was only about 17 just turned it and i witnessed some feats of greatness when they were up against it