Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

iPod converters for the car

I need a bit of kit that allows me to play my ipod in the car via either the CD player (preferred option) or the ciggie lighter. Don't have an input for a jack plug.

What reasonably priced and easy to use gadget, hopefully without loads of wires, would you recommend, fellow lifers?

Ta and LLL&BH (Dazzler, do you know that one?)

Comments

• Options
    I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought you'd get much sound out of the ciggie lighter!
  • Options
    Id get a new head unit

that or you can get a radio transmitter for your Ipod and then play it through the radio, all very easy no wires
  • Options
    in my old motor i had a tape deck so used a tape converter thinghy that connect to my ipod worked very well.
  • Options
    you can pick up a cable for £7.99 (or it was when i bought the ladyfriend one) from Halfords plugs straight into the headphone port and should go into your cd player if that has a front port.

OR
    if it's a fancy stereo one you can pick up a USB to ipod adaptor. A bit more expensive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: scruffle[/cite]Id get a new head unit

that or you can get a radio transmitter for your Ipod and then play it through the radio, all very easy no wires

I've got one of these - it's pants
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought you'd get much sound out of the ciggie lighter!

I wouldn't have thought so either but I'm told you can.

What's a head unit? Most technology and gadgets are a blur to me.

What's a good radio transmitter to get? No wires sounds good.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    IS that to humour me?!

Head unit is the playing unit in your car, be it CD/DVD/Tape or Radio

Radio transmitter you plug onto your Ipod its only a small little thing and it shoudl be picked up by your car stereo automatically, although as is mentioned not sure its the greatest sound quality, but I'm gettin the fellin you won't be playin music very load with and expensive speaker set up in your car?! In which case the quality will be fine
  • Options
    Buy a new car!
  • Options
    Hi Henry,

Take a look on www.iworld.co.uk and look for the Cygnett kit in the Car accessories section, I have a unit that plugs in the ciggy lighter and takes my nano, it is the Griffin model you simply tune an FM station on the front of the Cygnett unit to one matching your radio and bingo your tunes come out the sound system, also charges your ipod as well.

The only downside is you do need to find an FM channel that is blank with no music but if you hunt around the 80.1 area you should find something.

Good luck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]Buy a new car!

I did (well newer- 08 numberplate) that's why the old tape cassette thing I had is no good any more.

Thanks Scruffle, Wasn't trying to humour you, I really know next to nothing about cars or stereos.

Cheers Mike, I will check that one out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

Me too, only ever worked if i drove along whilst holding my Ipod OUT of the sunroof
  • Options
    Cigarette lighter radio adapter thing i have. Goes into my phone. Plays tunes. Lovely.
  • Options
    That's an I-pod shuffle or I trip isn't it - Quite pricey!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]LLL&BH (Dazzler, do you know that one?)

Laugh, Love, Live and Be Happy?
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    No, it's Ladies Love Large and Beautiful Hayes - in my dreams : - )
  • Options
    Go abroad and by a transmitter that they aren't allowed to sell in the UK. The ones here have a very low maximum transmission power so that you don't broadcast to anyone else. The trouble is that they are so feeble that getting a good reception is more than a bit hit and miss.
  • Options
    http://www.xcarlink.co.uk
  • Options
    I use the Logic3 iPod In-Car FM Transmitter and Charger - I find it very good locally, but I do have to retune occasionally on motorway journeys when the signal can suffer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

I've got an iTrip and it works fine, paid tenner for mine from eBay, better than shelling out a ton for a brand new head unit
  • Options
    Henners seriously does your head unit have what looks to be a "headphone port"

if it does £6.99 from halfords or if it has a tape deck £9.99 - the i-trip seems to always need re-tuning (the GF had one!)
  • Options
    i-trip FM thing works OK outside London 50 miles plus in my experience but not too good in our pirate radio addled FM area.