Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This is so true about growing up

edited May 2009 in Not Sports Related
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, and 60's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos..

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day and we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY,

no video/dvd films,

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Comments

• Options
    Kev,

You should have stayed in for a couple of nights and learnt how to use a PC, you have posted the message twice!

;-)

Seriously though great post because it is true.
  • Options
    This again. I think I first saw this in the 1960s.

Nostalgia is great and I think there were a lot of things that were simpler and better in the old days but that's maybe cos I was a child and I saw as a child and I thought as a child.

But so much of it is wrong. if you really think Mums didn't have to go to work in the good old days then I say lucky you. My mum worked, albeit part time, and so did plenty of other working class women.

I could go on but I'll just be accused on "putting people right" again : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, and 60's !!

and still cardy's wasnt in fashion!!
  • Options
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
  • Options
    Thing is we have as parents all bought into this present reality. I wouldn`t dream of letting my little princess out with the same freedoms I enjoyed.
  • Options
    Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TG: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Thing is we have as parents all bought into this present reality. I wouldn`t dream of letting my little princess out with the same freedoms I enjoyed.

That is true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]This again. I think I first saw this in the 1960s.

Nostalgia is great and I think there were a lot of things that were simpler and better in the old days but that's maybe cos I was a child and I saw as a child and I thought as a child.

But so much of it is wrong. if you really think Mums didn't have to go to work in the good old days then I say lucky you. My mum worked, albeit part time, and so did plenty of other working class women.

I could go on but I'll just be accused on "putting people right" again : - )

I was born in the fifties. Almost everyones mum was a housewife. Not because they didn't want to work. Not because extra money wouldn't have helped. But because they believed it was a mum's duty to be with their children every possible moment. To be there when we came home. To love and nurture us and teach us values. Some things really were better in 'the old days'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Thing is we have as parents all bought into this present reality. I wouldn`t dream of letting my little princess out with the same freedoms I enjoyed.

That is true.

Which is why we decided not to have kids.