Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just had Barclaycard Security on the phone

Someone has been using my card (well a copy of it I should say) in The Czech Republic.
6 purchases completed at an average of £1,600 per transaction!
Fooking charming!!!

Comments

• Options
    ok but do you lose that or as they know it's fraud are you o.k?
  • Options
    The bloke must be knackered
  • Options
    Don't suppose you've recently used your card in a Shell petrol station in Kent?
  • Options
    I've got you that Dukla Prague away kit you wanted, Soundas£ : - )
  • Options
    Um. Barclaycard phoned me the other day but I wasn`t around. Said they would phone back........I wonder ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I've got you that Dukla Prague away kit you wanted, Soundas£ : - )

Very funny Henry!!!! They also mentioned a payment of £2678.32p made to The Bromley Branch of Charlton Athletic Supporters club.
    I am in the clear as it's a cloned card....just leaves you wondering where and who doesn't it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Someone has been using my card (well a copy of it I should say) in The Czech Republic.
    6 purchases completed at an average of £1,600 per transaction!
    Fooking charming!!!

That's next season's midfield sorted then.
  • Options
    This is the fourth case I have heard of in as many weeks. Including me.
  • Options
    I got clobbered 2 years ago but Virgin were on the phone to me in a matter of minutes to confirm I was not actually in Bangalore within 7 minutes of me using my card in Bluewater.

Refunded the £300 straight away and all was well

Apparently it was the Esso garage in the high street where I lived - about 300 residents of my small town had been hit!!!
  • Options
    My future father in law had his Amex cloned at the BP garage in Greenhithe a few weeks ago, petrol garages are rife for this sort of thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]My future father in law had his Amex cloned at the BP garage in Greenhithe a few weeks ago, petrol garages are rife for this sort of thing.[/quote]

Exactly the same thing happened to my old man in a petrol station in Surrey. He wasn't 100% sure where he had been scammed out of £300 but had a rough idea, he went into the station a week later- giving them the benefit of the doubt and paid with cash just to be on the safe side, when one of the tossers who worked there had the gall to say to him "not using your card this week?" F@@king cheeky ba@tard. Avoid using any form of card in a petrol station,you know it makes sense Rodders.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]My future father in law had his Amex cloned at the BP garage in Greenhithe a few weeks ago, petrol garages are rife for this sort of thing.

Exactly the same thing happened to my old man in a petrol station in Surrey. He wasn't 100% sure where he had been scammed out of £300 but had a rough idea, he went into the station a week later- giving them the benefit of the doubt and paid with cash just to be on the safe side, when one of the tossers who worked there had the gall to say to him "not using your card this week?" F@@king cheeky ba@tard. Avoid using any form of card in a petrol station,you know it makes sense Rodders.

Mostly Tamils so I'm told...it's a way they use to finance their ongoing strife and finance their militia.
  • Options
    This happened to me once - it was the Somerfield in Croydon (apparently two herberts had nicked a card reader, modded it with a chip reader then put it back in the next morning before anyone knew) who apparently let it go on for two months before they admitted it was their fault. Bank tried to get silly with me, saying I couldn't have used 'adequate protection' and someone must have 'got my pin number' from me being careless with it. (this was in the early days of chip & pin). I told them to piss off and pay me money back or I'd sue them - it was back in within 24 hours.
  • Options
    Chip and pin does nowt to deter the crooks.
  • Options
    The "SHELL" petrol station going UP Bluebell hill is under invesigation because something like 1500 people have reported that they have lost money due to scamming. Its the only common thing linking everybody.

It seems that something was "added" to the till to read the cards, so it did not look like anything was wrong as the card was kept in view at all times!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Chip and pin does nowt to deter the crooks.
    Amen. Its just another way for the banks to try and 'prove' your liability when they get rinsed.
  • Options
    I never ever use my card at a petrol station anymore after my parents have been hit on more than one occasion. Keep away from Esso on Bromley Road, just up the hill from Shortlands Train Station. And watch out for BP in Locksbottom if paying by cash...on 2 seperate occasions they've tried to short change me by claiming I gave them a 10 when I'd given them a 20.
    Dodgy places are petrol stations!
  • Options
    yeah, but Ol, these petrol stations/companies need money as they're are so short.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]The "SHELL" petrol station going UP Bluebell hill is under invesigation because something like 1500 people have reported that they have lost money due to scamming. Its the only common thing linking everybody.

It seems that something was "added" to the till to read the cards, so it did not look like anything was wrong as the card was kept in view at all times!

Exactly what I was getting at in my earlier post. Apparently, it was a couple of engineers that blagged their way into the garage, saying they were there to service the card reader... Several other garages in Kent are also rumoured to have been done
  • Options
    Watch the buggers. They'll refund any money that's taken, but still whack you for foreign exchange costs cos B'card did that to us. They relented after a fight and we got all our money back. The odd thing is that we don't use our B'card except as an emergency back up and no petrol purchases at all. New card provided, same thing happened, but at least they phoned to check before processing the withdrawal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Chip and pin does nowt to deter the crooks.[/quote]
    Amen. Its just another way for the banks to try and 'prove' your liability when they get rinsed.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on Leroy.
  • Options
    The thing that annoys me, is where I work, we regularly identify attempts to put dodgy card transactions through our systems, but when we try to alert the police or the credit card companies, they aren't interested, as we aren't the ones who are being defrauded.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]The thing that annoys me, is where I work, we regularly identify attempts to put dodgy card transactions through our systems, but when we try to alert the police or the credit card companies, they aren't interested, as we aren't the ones who are being defrauded.

Same here, had a bloke the other week, looked at the card and it was a womans name, Mrs whatever, told him he couldnt use it as its not his, his answer "It's my grandmothers and she told me I could use it, so what's the problem", I was stunned, told him that if he wanted to use the card for payment I would have to speak to the cardholder on the phone and ask some security questions which the machine would ask for, he wasn't happy, but eventually I got to talk to her, but I still refused to let him put the pin in, even though he did know it, and I did a manual transaction, his other argument was he had been using it for months, too which my response was "I cant speak for other companies & shops lack of security checks, but you cant use it here yourself"
    I must get that at least once a week, you would be amazed at the amount of dumbass people out there who thinks its ok to hand over someone else's card "cuz they told me I could use it", still baffles me to this day, and the first time his gran gets ripped off, she will be screaming blue murder at all the shops he used it in.
  • Options
    And there lie's the farcical lunacy that is the chip and pin system.