Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reed's Contract

edited December 2006 in General Charlton
Reed is a Charlton man, as undoubtedly is Murray - both wanting what is best for Charlton.

It's possible that despite signing a three year contract, the pair have an agreement that if things do not work out at Reed's current level, he will carry on as 1st team coach and support a new manager on the same terms as agreed, which will be better than his previous contract for sure.

Wishful thinking? I would put that sort of deal and my cards on the table in my current role if it was for the good of the business, in identical circumstances, but much depends on how frank a relationship they have and whether the Charlton blood runs deeply enough for Reed to accept such conditions.

If we lose to Boro next Saturday, I'm praying the above will unfold with Pardew in charge starting with the Fulham and Villa games. Having invested so much money as well as cash, the Board know that this is not about pride, but what needs to be done to try and salvage our Premership status. I hope they show courage and foresight and act before it really is too late. Point gaps at the minute are irrelevant, it is all about building a run of points and I just don't see that happening as things currently stand.

Comments

• Options
    I don't rate Pardew that highly, he certainly is not a miracle worker.

Back Reed.
  • Options
    I'll back Reed whilst he's in charge, am never a boo boy, regardless of performance, as that helps nobody, but I do sense a lack of interest and complete lack of confidence in many of the players, the latter which would be expected in our current predicament. Often a new manager brings some spark back into the dressing room which can kick start a revival and that's why for the sake of our club, I hope we get a fresh face in. I would very much want Les as coach still, don't get me wrong, but management and coaching are two quite different arts and I just don't reckon he's going to cut it in his new role.
  • Options
    if we were to get Pardew it must be done asap and certainly before the transfer window opens. my fingers are crossed that we do as our Les is a nice person and all that but a premiership manager he is not!
  • Options
    Im up for Pardew..... the way the team are playing it is clear that we stand ZERO chance of getting anything if we dont make a change...
  • Options
    I don't know this as a fact but I'd be surprised if there wasn't a notice period specified in the contract of a year or 6 months. There is in most contracts (football and non-football) there certainly was one in Dowie's.

That's not to say that RAM is hedging his bets or that there is a sinister plan it's just normal practice.
  • Options
    If you really are desperate to bring in someone to save the season then you would be much better off with George Graham than Pardew surely?
  • Options
    Surely if George Graham had wanted to get back into Football management he would have by now.

And i wouldn't be suprised if Pardew had already, unofficially been asked if he was interested in "throwing his hat into the ring" and politely declined.
  • Options
    If I was Pardew I'd be booking a holiday somewhere warm for the next couple of weeks, then I'd worry about a job. The likelihood is that he'll get an offer soon enough, if Charlton are interested I can't see much changing over the next two/three games.
  • Options
    Exactly- an Xmas break is a rare luxury in football- enjoy!!

With the way he (Pardew) was sacked, he'll be very near the top of the pile in the management merrygoround.

Don't see him at the Valley though- if that was going to happen , i think it would have by now.
  • Options
    Pardew will end up at the nigels once Peter the Taylor is sacked