Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newsnight

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Right, a bit of fishing around turns this up:

the edited version that Carly Burn's commenting on, which was on TV and then pushed on the front page of the BBC News website all the next morning, leading a few hundred thousand people to think "crikey, Fry's an arse, isn't he?"

the full version which the BBC didn't put up for 13 hours, in which you can see some of the context of what he said.

If anyone's doing GCSE Media Studies, this is a good case study of manipulation :-)

(None of this excuses the sheer brass neck of the MPs concerned, who I think should have the whips withdrawn on all sides, then we might as well have a general election now and flush this rotten lot out once and for all.)
    Interesting, although even in context I think he understates the importance of elected reps not doing something that is so clearly morally unjustifiable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]that's interesting inspector. As if stephen fry would be wrong!

Heh. I don't care whether Fry's right or wrong, really, but he's entitled to an opnion, and he's certainly been shat on by Newsnight, whatever.

Ben Affleck's twitter says he is wrong and so do i!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    On the point that MPs should all be housed together by the taxpayer, the big flaw with that is that we already have a political class that spends most of its time in a bubble talking to itself. That's why it loses touch with public opinion and the rest of the world's preoccupations.

Anything that forces politicians to mix with other people whose preoccupations and opinions are rooted in everyday experience of the real world is to be encouraged, so I think housing them all together in London would make a bad situation worse.
  • Options
    Good point AB

hows about putting 1 in every council estate in London and letting see how tough on crime and the causes of crime they have been