Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Margate - all those years ago

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]NLA - the pub could be the Captain Digby as mentioned above. Past Margate on the way to Broadstairs on top of a cliff.

Maybe not, but then waht the fug do I know anyway!

Used to love days out in Margit as a kid. Been through it a few times recently and the word "Bobhole" springs to mind. Sad really.

You're right about the Digby but it's more of a restaurant now. It used to attract all the youngsters in the summer for a drink on a Friday night.
  • Options
    I went down there last year for my bro's wedding. On the train back to Ashford with my Mum we saw the old wooden scenic railway burning down. Apparently the local council are determined to get back to the old Dreamland days but face huge problems, not least of which is gangsters burning each other's amusement arcades down, drug supply battles, etc.
    There's glimmers of hope:

http://www.blackpowdermonkeys.co.uk/wasteman.htm

But personally I'd go to Folkestone...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]NLA - the pub could be the Captain Digby as mentioned above. Past Margate on the way to Broadstairs on top of a cliff.

Maybe not, but then waht the fug do I know anyway!

Used to love days out in Margit as a kid. Been through it a few times recently and the word "Bobhole" springs to mind. Sad really.

sounds like it could be it we used to drive right through margit following the beach then we used to turn in like we was heading to broadstairs

from what i can remember the pub was right on top ogf the cliff on the left as you turned down the road if you went straight on it was a very narrow road that led down to what looked like a small quay side

i am going to get my racing pigeon brain on and take a run down there in the summer
  • Options
    Im telling you mate, I'd rather,
    With the costa brava,
    Have a day down Margate with all me family.
  • Options
    NLA - is it this pub?

Captain-Digby-Broads-1154192851.jpg

Captain Digby
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]We walked to Dymchurch from Hythe few weeks back. Dymchurch another kentish seaside town going down the swanny.

we popped into a pub there before heading back... no one inside bar the bloke behind the bar. Place was filthy. i ran my finger across one of the tables, collected a mound of dust. worse pub ever.

I live in Hythe, and have to agree Dymchurch has been on the decline for many years. Still does attract buses from London for the day etc but apart from them in the summer, it's a ghost town.
  • Options
    Do you live in Hythe? where abouts. We have taken a big shine to Sandgate/Hythe area and have been down a few weekends. May be just not ready for the big move yet but i dont want to miss out on the house prices! how cold an miserable in the winter?
  • Options
    Didnt Dowman move down to Hythe?
  • Options
    yes he did, just outside i think.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Do you live in Hythe? where abouts. We have taken a big shine to Sandgate/Hythe area and have been down a few weekends. May be just not ready for the big move yet but i dont want to miss out on the house prices! how cold an miserable in the winter?

If you know where the big Green is in Hythe, i live the road next to that, about 500 yards from the beach. It's a very nice area, especially in the summer, i think there's more Pubs than shops in Hythe at the mo! A lot of shops closing down in the High street, expected really.

Is cold and miserable in the winter, but then most places are! You've always got the Canal and seafront to take walks along etc. One thing about this area is there is very little crime. We live in peace down here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yes the only danger is getting run over by an electric wheelchair!

We walked the canal the other week but had to come off road to find dymchurch, 3.5 hours later... thats why we were gasping.

We also walked through brockhill country park the day before and cross country and ending up in the Drum Inn i think it was called.

anyway sorry off topic a bit here.
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited May 2009
    Indeed, a LOT of Pensioners i'll give you that!

Hythe to Dymchurch is quite ahealthy walk, i'm not surprised.

Yeah Saltwood is also a nice place, bit more expensive though up there! Went to school there as a kid.

I know the Drum Inn very well, i'm mates with the Landlord - been a favoured watering hole for years.
  • Options
    Just looked up that live music pub in Margate I went too, the Brittania, Fort Hill, very good live bands and acts in there.
  • Options
    Can't remember ever being to Margate on a holiday or anything. Been to the football ground 2-3 times to run the line. The nearest I've been for a holiday in Margate is watching Only Fools and Horses' Jolly Boys Outing DVD lol ;o)