Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2nd half of season predictions

WSSWSS
edited December 2006 in General Charlton
(taken from my post on a previous thread)

West Ham winning has not changed anything.

We are still 5 points off of getting out of the relegation zone.

The next three games are the msot important sequence of games in our recent history in my opinion.

0-3 points - season over

3-6 points - progress of sorts

7-9 points - more positive outlook, fans and players alike

Comments

• Options
    the way we're playing we'll do well to get 0
  • Options
    Sorry, but I honestly cannot agree. Any chance we had of survival has long gone; the fat lady has already sung.
  • Options
    I admire your optimism WSS, but we were probably gone after Reading away and certainly after Sheff Utd. The last 2 games have just confirmed this. No fight, no passion, no idea. Where the f*ck Reed thinks we're going to win 10 games and get 30 points from i do not know. Although i guess he has to say that.
  • Options
    the problem is chris the 'goals are killing us'..... ffs les step down!
  • Options
    I way i look at it is that we are not exactly half way through the season.

If we perform exactly like we have for the first half (god forbid) we would have 24 points come the end. That means we need to pick up 16 points from somewhere else which is 5/6 games.

I think that is achievable but based on Saturday i understand everyone's pessimism
  • Options
    based on the season so far ...it's impossible
  • Options
    Ok WSS, looking at our remaining games, where do you think we can get 30 points from? I can see 5 wins tops. Fulham, Boro, Wigan, Sheff Utd and maybe Reading at home. We might get a draw away at Watford but that's probably it from our away games.
  • Options
    Not Impossible, Improbable!
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2006
    Based on heart rather than head i suppose. Wins in bold, draws in in italics.

If we still have a chance i think April is the crucial month

Sat Dec 23 Middlesbrough 15.00 A
    Wed Dec 27 Fulham 20.00 H
    Sat Dec 30 Aston Villa 12.45 H

Tue Jan 02 Arsenal 19.45 A
    Sat Jan 13 Middlesbrough 15.00 H
    Sat Jan 20 Portsmouth 15.00 A
    Tue Jan 30 Bolton Wanderers 20.00 A

Sat Feb 03 Chelsea 15.00 H
    Sat Feb 10 Manchester United 15.00 A
    Sat Feb 24 West Ham United 15.00 H

Sat Mar 03 Watford 15.00 A
    Sat Mar 17 Newcastle United 15.00 H
    Sat Mar 31 Wigan Athletic 15.00 H

Fri Apr 06 Manchester City 14.30 A
    Mon Apr 09 Reading 15.00 H
    Sun Apr 15 Everton 15.00 A
    Sat Apr 21 Sheffield United 15.00 H
    Sat Apr 28 Blackburn Rovers 15.00 A

Sat May 05 Tottenham Hotspur 15.00 H
    Sun May 13 Liverpool 15.00

30 points i think but still extremely tough
  • Options
    8 wins from our last 10 home games. I'm not sure whether you actually believe what you write. We haven't won 8 games in the whole of 2006!! Deluded.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably Chris but i need to hold onto some hope
  • Options
    i'd italic most of those bolds, and thats being positive.
  • Options
    and un-italic the italics as well eh Suze? :-)
  • Options
    Erm that means that you will win all but two of your remaining home games!....do you still believe in father xmas?

I understand the need for optimism in your situation.....(we have been there many times), but it will take some super human performance for Charlton to get out of this.

The big problems are the results against watford, sheff utd and reading, typically promoted teams like these represent at least 7 points from 3 games for the established prem teams.

Assuming Peter Taylor can keep the hapless bunch of half wits we have, in the championship, then i look forward to seeing you all again next season!
  • Options
    I think 17th place will survive this year with 36-38 points this year so we can discount a couple of games. ;-)

I hope i havent just confirmed everyone's worst fears
  • Options
    The thing is WSS, the games you have highlighted in bold, so would the opposition. And opposition are showing a lot more desire than us at the moment.

The trouble is you can only really judge on what we have seen so far this season, and with what we have seen of late giving a higher weighting. And what we have seen is a side so incapable of either passing the ball, or showing the will to fight, that it is impossible to form any view of us picking up decent points.

They can talk in the dressing room as much as they like, it won't disguise the fact we are missing virtually all the basic ingredients of a footballing side. Halfway through the season:

1. We have no idea what our best centre defence or centre midfield combinations are, or whether either of them are good enough to compete in the Prem. That is the spine of the side you build around, but has been our weakness for 12 months now.

2. We have no idea what is our best formation, or what formation suits our best players the best.

3. We have a collection of players that publicly show little desire to WANT to turn things around. There has been no noticeable improvement of scrapping, or working harder during games.

4. At the half way point, there is only one player, Andy Reid, who has improved since the start of the season, while several others, Faye and Darren Bent most noticeably, have worsened significantly.

5. We appear to have no leadership characters in the playing squad who others will look up to, and who will provoke a positive reaction.

6. We find it near impossible to keep a clean sheet, while scoring goals from open play is looking more unlikely. 4 goals from the last two away games were from outside the box. Players are not giving everything to close space or pressurise opponents.

7. The negative public snippets in the red-tops are becoming too frequent for there to be nothing in it. Its clear that they either do not want to play for each other, the manager, or the club in general.
  • Options
    Can't disagree with any of those points AFKA, i suppose its just my way of keeping sane at the moment!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    We are still 5 points off of getting out of the relegation zone.

The next three games are the msot important sequence of games in our recent history in my opinion.

Taken from Dec 18th, WSS our very own Nostradamus !!

*keep saying something and it will come true eventually*
  • Options
    2 points down on my predictions at the moment though
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    They were the 2 points lost at home to Fulham.........
    Thanks, ref.