Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many sports have been held at the Valley

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
Hi all
Am a new member,but a lifetime supporter of Charlton,i think some of the younger supporters will not believe what went on at the Valley,in fact i reckon quite a few people will be surprised,my apologies if this topic has been raised before.
All the best Dave

Comments

• Options
    Off the top of my head Rugby League and American Football have also been staged at The Valley
  • Options
    I don't think anything else apart from Rugby League. Don't remember Gridiron being played at the Valley.
  • Options
    American Football was staged at The Valley in 85. From memory I think the team whose 'home' games were played there were called the Greenwich Rams
  • Options
    Gaelic football.
  • Options
    Boxing - Jim Ryan on Pat Brady

I seem to remember loads of kids playing a game as pre-match entertainment before a game in the 70's - table tennis or something silly?

Wasn't there a cheerleaders competition one day as well?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]American Football was staged at The Valley in 85. From memory I think the team whose 'home' games were played there were called the Greenwich Rams

Easter Sunday, April 14th 1985, The Greenwich Rams lost 42 - 0 to the Milton Keynes Bucks in front of a crowd at the Valley of 1,346.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Golf was played there the 18th hole of the British Open in 1972

Greg Norman hit an amazing Birdie from the upper step off of the old East stand
  • Options
    Midget Car Racing was held at the Valley in 1948.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Association Football up until 2 years ago.
  • Options
    errrmmm........power boat racing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Topless Darts
  • Options
    Women's international football. England v Holland. That was different.
  • Options
    Trampolining (if that's a sport). Some gymnasts provided the half time entertainment back in the early '70s.
  • Options
    The early '70s also produced a camel and an elephant being led round the pitch one Saturday. Efforts were made to get them to kick a ball into the net but without success: but the Sunday papers had a good time comparing their efforts with those of the team and suggesting we should sign them up!
  • Options
    Well done, 24 Red.....it was gymnasts not table tennis.
  • Options
    Is laughing at palace fans a sport?
  • Options
    The British national eagle taunting champtionships a few years ago.
  • Options
    Ronaldo has played at the Valley - so Diving

I'll get my coat
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2009
    There has been plenty of rowing over the years
  • Options
    ten-pin bowling.

well nearly.
    i'm sure i remember a bowling alley being cosiderred when we were trying to get back to the valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Speedway and Greyhounds ?