Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England's 2018/22 World Cup Bid

Good thing or waste of public money in hard times.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7856716.stm

"With South Africa and Brazil to host the 2010 and 2014 competitions respectively, Fifa has said no African countries can bid for the 2018 showpiece while South America must wait until 2026 for the chance to bid again.

Successful hosts must meet certain conditions if they are to win the right to stage the World Cup, providing at least 12 stadiums with minimum capacities of 40,000, with the final to be held in a stadium with a capacity of at least 80,000."

We are up against

Mexico

USA

Holland/Belguim

Spain/Portugal

Indonesia

Russia

Qatar

South Korea

Japan

Australia

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Hopefully the hard times will be over by then henry, can only be good for me as i was living in oz for the euro's when they were here, and the world cup by all reports actually makes money for the host nation or nation's.

I should add then i suppose that its a yes from me, not like we will have to build stadiums or villages as teams stay in hotels or resorts that are already here, win win and got to be easier than organising an olympic games.
  • Good.
  • Strange thig is the guy who is heading up the bid said the " The English bid should be free from arogance like saying football is coming home". Well sorry fella but thats kak.
  • Where is he from then i wonder gh?
  • it will be scandalous if we don't get it. We obviously have everything in place to do it.
  • last time other countries saw our bid as arrogant and they didn't vote for us. So they are trying to learn the lessons and play the political game.
  • We could host a better tournament tomorrow than most of those countries could do in 2018.
  • The "home " of football is England.

FIFA saying anyone is arogant is a pot + kettle if there ever was one.
  • It coming home...

31aae826-2a57-40a0-99f5-6a72c8538802.jpg
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]We could host a better tournament tomorrow than most of those countries could do in 2018.[/quote]

Exactly, will be fantastic if we get it.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]The "home " of football is England.

FIFA saying anyone is arogant is a pot + kettle if there ever was one.

Of course it is but maybe having that as your main selling point doesn't win votes. Why use a failed strategy again?
  • After last night have they screwed up our chances or is that being over dramatic?

The pictures and video are going to be shown worldwide - not good.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]After last night have they screwed up our chances or is that being over dramatic?

Being over dramatic...
  • At least the Hammers fans can now say they won us a world cup... and lost us a world cup...
  • way to over dramatic...our hoolie problem is nothing like other european countries, everyone just likes to jump on the bandwagon.
  • [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]way to over dramatic...our hoolie problem is nothing like other european countries.
    Compared to the list above?
  • no worse I suspect than the other European countries listed....one incident (albeit a fairly bad one) and everyone is going into overdrive FFS !!

will be chip paper in a week or so...
  • I think Australia will get one of them...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]After last night have they screwed up our chances or is that being over dramatic?

The pictures and video are going to be shown worldwide - not good.[/quote]

Why not cancel the 2012 Olympics as well?
  • Well a corrupt & crime ridden country Like South Africa could get it so cannot see how a few West Ham fans coming onto the pitch & giving it large is gonna effect our World Cup bid.

As for the fighting outside, that goes on up & down the country home & abroad so is not even a factor.
  • Sponsored links:

• what Ketman said
  • Qatar will get one of them... money talks
  • Very dramatic WSS, as Ketman says the next one is in South Africa and the next European Championship is in Poland & Ukraine!!

But then again, we are England. ;-)
  • Out of all of those bidders i canonly think of us that deserve it. In my opinion:

Mexico - Although have hosted before their league is pointless and cant imagine they have the same level of facilities as us.

USA - Not a football nation do not deserve it. However im sure the facilities would be top notch

Holland/Belgium - If you took Belgium out then fair enough i think Holland would be good at it on their own.

Spain/Portugal - Probably would be good at it again if you took Portugal out as they have a waste of time league like Belgium

Indonisia - Last time i checked was one of the world poorest contries not sure were they have appeared from.

Russia - Not sure never hosted before and have pointless league so prob wouldnt be great but am not sure.

Qatar - Up and coming country and will have booming economy soon so might be a good option in a few years time.

South Korea - Not on their own plus hosted 2002 dont be greedy.

Japan - On their own would be fine but hosted in 2002 last time we hosted was 1966 lets have a chance.

Australlia - Shocked they are even mentioned nothing to do with football atall and the way they speak of the English have no sympathy and would not be happy it if they got it. Like USA though im sure their facilities would be brilliant.

These are my opinions about host for the 2018 world cup would be good to read others and see different opinions. O and i saved the best to last

England - Fantastic country Fantastic people fantastic Leagues Fantastic stadiums Fantastic Facilities ultimatly should host 2018 world cup as is the home of football.
  • edited August 2009
    You cant rule out countries just because they have leagues which aren't as high profile.
    Otherwise we'd see the Euro rotated around England/Spain/Germany/Italy every 4 years
  • Indonisia - Last time i checked was one of the world poorest contries not sure were they have appeared from.

With their impressive human rights record a spot of hooliganism is nothing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Indonesia
  • I think people are underestimating how much FIFA and UEFA hate us and how something like this, with such global coverage will have an effect.

Whether that is right or not is another argument.
  • Its not necessarily the leagues that im judging it on its the facilities because the leagues are shite also most countries with not so good leagues will have not so good facilities obviously im slightly biased as want it to be in England every year lol but yea your point BigRedEvil is right as i said its only my opinion.

Also my georgeous friend debs says hi Charlton fans