Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

zola wants Freddy Sears out on loan

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
No brainer for me GO GET HIM.

Comments

• Options
    remember all loan players are lazy and have no commitment to us. Loan players are evil and we do better without them.

(that was me being ironic BTW)

Would love to have him if he'd come.
  • Options
    Do you really think that someone with his abilty will drop down into the 3rd tier of English footballto to get his bollocks kicked every week? I don't. As much as I would love t see him at the Valley, he'll stay in the Premiership or go to a Championship side, IMHO.
  • Options
    im with you valley. would be great, but dream on people.
  • Options
    Is he that good already that he's definitely Championship quality? Don't know enough about him. Might find it hard to get interest from a Championship club. Look at Waghorn, I doubt any other Championship club would have taken him on loan, if he goes out on loan again it'll probably be a League One side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Do you really think that someone with his abilty will drop down into the 3rd tier of English footballto to get his bollocks kicked every week? I don't. As much as I would love t see him at the Valley, he'll stay in the Premiership or go to a Championship side, IMHO.

Defoe went out loan to Bournemouth when he was of a similar age. It wouldn't be that much of a shock to see Sears in Div 3.
  • Options
    He wont go to another club in the Premiership, championship club will get him IMO, Ipswich being up the road (ish) but our geographic location is a plus, and they may see us (as I do) as a larger club on a temporary downer.
  • Options
    Hi All,

New to the forum, 1st post. Mini intro: Charlton fan since 1st game Sat 17th August 1985 V’s Barnsley (aged 8) with a certain living legend on the front cover of the programme, never looked back since and never will.

Freddie would be worth a look, although would he take the battering he'll get in league 1? Undoubted ability with good movement, just not sure on the rough stuff. He's young so would try to prove himself, not worried re commitment. Although thinking on, perhaps we should try our own youngsters if we have any good enough?
  • Options
    Welcome Pshrimpt! I've got to agree with those who find it a tad unlikely that he'll be loaned to a Div 3 club.
  • Options
    I think we are completely overdoing the physical battering angle of Division 3. It is not a pub league some make out, look at the sides that have come out of it in the last few years.

Get the impression the kid has lost his way a bit in the last year. There will certainly be Championship clubs in for him though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think we are completely overdoing the physical battering angle of Division 3. It is not a pub league some make out, look at the sides that have come out of it in the last few years.
    Have to disagree look at the cloggers like Doncaster and Swansea who only got anywhere by brute force.
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being local might be an advantage as he may want to stay at home.

Will come down to wages but if we can offer a regular place in a challenging team then it's possible. Jay Simpson went out on loan from Arsenal to Millwall and don't Leeds have a prem player on loan?
  • Options
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
  • Options
    For me too, it's a no brainer.

Do we need another non-scoring striker?
    He's played 23 first team games; and been scoreless in the last 22. He makes Carl Leaburn look prolific.

Do we lack short players up front?
    He's five foot seven. A couple of inches shorter than Chris Perry.

Are our current strikers over-brimming with confidence?
    The best way of improving our own players is to have them playing, scoring and winning games for Charlton. What good would it do Deon Burton, Andy Gray, Izale McLeod, Chris Dickson or Stuart Fleetwood to see someone else's player come in and play ahead of them, then swan off after a few weeks or even the whoe season.

For me, one of the most important aspects of next season is to develop one, two or three Charlton players into confident, goal-scoring strikers. Yes, winning promotion is important. But so too is having a team capable of challenging in the Championship the following season. And we won't do that by taking more youngsters on loan and handing them back at the end of their development season.

Who would I rather see score for Charlton? A Charlton player or a hammer?

For me, it's a no brainer.
  • Options
    no we don't need him... also he's probably on 5k plus a game - so not our price bracket.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]For me too, it's a no brainer.

Do we needanothernon-scoring striker?
    He's played 23 first team games; and been scoreless in the last 22. He makes Carl Leaburn look prolific.

Do we lack short players up front?
    He's five foot seven. A couple of inches shorter than Chris Perry.

Are our current strikers over-brimming with confidence?
    The best way of improvingour ownplayers is to have them playing, scoring and winning games for Charlton. What good would it do Deon Burton, Andy Gray, Izale McLeod, Chris Dickson or Stuart Fleetwood to see someone else's player come in and play ahead of them, then swan off after a few weeks or even the whoe season.

For me, one of the most important aspects of next season is to develop one, two or three Charlton players into confident, goal-scoring strikers. Yes, winning promotion is important. But so too is having a team capable of challenging in the Championship the following season. And we won't do that by taking more youngsters on loan and handing them back at the end of their development season.

Who would I rather see score for Charlton? A Charlton player or a hammer?

For me, it's a no brainer.

You make some good points regarding players we currently have and how would they feel if a loan player comes in and takes a place, but on the other hand i think you under-estimate Sears' talent. Many of his appearances have come as a late sub so to say he is scoreless in 22 is a bit harsh on him. I'd also say that he is far more talented than anything we currently have at the club. I'd expect Gray to go to get him off the wage bill and Fleetwood to go on loan again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Do you really think that someone with his abilty will drop down into the 3rd tier of English footballto to get his bollocks kicked every week? I don't. As much as I would love t see him at the Valley, he'll stay in the Premiership or go to a Championship side, IMHO.

Arsenal sent Jay Simpson to Millwall for a season, thats how these youngens will get toughened up.
  • Options
    Spurs sent 2 youngsters on loan to Yeovil at the end of last season, Man Utd had a couple on loan at Peterborough and a kid at Leicester
  • Options
    How the hell do people think that Sears will come to a team in the 3rd level ? Ipswich in a home friendly, Palarse reserves on loan ---------thats our level now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]How the hell do people think that Sears will come to a team in the 3rd level ? Ipswich in a home friendly, Palarse reserves on loan
    thats our level now.

For the same reason already explained, Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd etc all have sent young players on loan to League One clubs.

And all the stuff about 'he won't handle the cloggers in League One', Premier League players are better, and that includes being bigger, stronger and fitter.

I know it's a lot less games, but Defoe made his West Ham debut before going on loan to Bournemouth.

This isn't a proven striker here, he'll probably have the choice between a mid table to bottom Championship club, and a good League One side.

And Chizz - we have no idea if most of those strikers will be here next season. What I do know is whatever happens, we need to sign at least one striker if not a couple. If getting a young Prem reserve on loan is the best option available, that's what we'll have to do.
  • Options
    London Lite, today has a small article saying that Sears could be set for loan move to either Southend or Leyton Orient. It then goes on and he says he's keen to get goals and games under his belt. So who knows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sears has joined Palace on loan for the season :-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Sears has joined Palace on loan for the season :-(

If he likes dressing up in silly costumes then good luck to him.
  • Options
    Probably tried us but no oonene answered the ph
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Sears has joined Palace on loan for the season :-(

Good, from what I've seen and heard he's rubbish with a Billy Bigballs attitude.
  • Options
    Uncle who is a West Ham supporter likes him as a player but thinks he is too skiny and light to play in the prem.
  • Options
    Doesn't score enough goals for me despite getting plenty of chances. I think a season long loan to us would have done him some good. Grab some goals build his confidence and muscles up a bit. Would have been good for everyone. Our forwards need a kick up the backside because lets face it they just didn't turn up last season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]No brainer for me GO GET HIM.

Ledge....I don't think the reality has quite sunk in with you mate...I can understand it of course.....but we are down amongst the dead men at the moment the name Charlton Athletic doesn't have the same ring to us fans let alone players and agents....god willing we'll get back to a level of self respectability soon but in the meantime we're gonna have to eat a whole lota humble pie mate!
    If we're riding high during the January window I can see 'maybe' us getting a couple of half decent loaness if we feel the need...until then not a chance....unless.......... unless............. unless, the long awaited takeover becomes a reality.
  • Options
    palace are a more attractive proposition than us .....

****shakes head in disgust at the demise of charlton****
    *****lies back closes eyes and thinks of the curbs era*****
  • Options
    Aint that the truth morts.........................aint that the truth.
  • Options
    I'm sure Zola will be fascinated by the prospect of seeing the little lad being deployed by Parky in a 451 (with two central midfileders playing on the wings) and whoever we have left banging high balls at the defender standing next to him. Sign him up.

Could be the new Waghorn.