Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst ever season ?

has this been your worst ever season following the club ?

having seen 40 odd seasons (some very odd)im sure this is the worst.

We were awful the year we went down to the old div 3 in about 1973. We had been bad for 3 seasons and fully deserved to go down.

BUT:

This season tho it was the hope that Pardew might get his head out of his ego
That the Board had stopped their run of bad management
That the players might actually perform
There was a wining start and a great peformance against Reading-----------but it was a true false dawn.
The hoorific disapointment of Zebel ------ like winning the Lotery only to find it was the wrong week you were checking.
A Caretaker manager who would only get the job "on results", then went on to be the worst CM in the history of Pro footie.
The worst run in the clubs history.
Signing loan players from Palarse
Religated and 13 points from safety.
Millwall at Wembley
Parkinson still here.

Even when we lost The Valley we had a good team and got promoted.

this is the worse by far.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm pretty sure this years team, especially in that run from October till January will be the worst we'll ever see. Hopefully...

Anything that could go wrong, went wrong, apart from going into administration.
  • Options
    And after this weekend we may be able to add:

Millwall get promoted
    SE Londons 3rd highest ranked team
    Gillingham get promoted
  • Options
    Nelson's relegation team was worse imho. But for the club , this was the worsed season overall in terms of
    it represents an accelerated decline and all the gains of the Murray/Varney/Curbishley years falling apart.
  • Options
    Definately the worst in the years i have been following.

Can take the odd crap team every now and then, but coupled with the realisation that we neither no where near as strong a club, or as strongly supported as we'd grown to believe, its been hard to take.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Definately the worst in the years i have been following.

Can take the odd crap team every now and then, but coupled with the realisation that we neither no where near as strong a club, or as strongly supported as we'd grown to believe, its been hard to take.

So true. Makes you realise how thin the financial vaneer of football actually is.
  • Options
    I don't know about worst ever, but it's certainly been the most miserable season in my 40 odd years of support ... depressing to the point that I stopped wanting to go, and that's never happened before. I've ordered my ST for next year though.
  • Options
    I think its possibly the worst Ive seen, even taking into account the 72 team....whats made this worse though is the fact that we know on paper at least that they should have done a whole lot better...so maybe its not the worst team, but the worst performance overall by the club...and I was never really in any doubt as to our true numbers....but then again Im a fair bit older than some on here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]has this been your worst ever season following the club ?
    No.

This season's on-field performances have been dire. Awful. Thoroughly and completely dreadful. And the relegation that followed was thoroughly deserved on the basis of those performances. But I am very sure that, as long as promotion is secured next season, then this season will be seen as a blip. A short, sharp jolt. Like the last time we were in division three.

And, because it's so recent, it seems worse.

But, in short, we only got relegated. We had no repeat of the Jamie Stuart or, God forbid, Pierre Bolangi or Tommy Caton episodes and we still own - and play at - The Valley.

Sure, this season's been bad. But we've had worse.
  • Options
    Oh absolutely the worst...and by some distance!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Oh absolutely the worst...and by some distance!

Totally agree. Worst since I have been going in 1961 both on and off the field.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worst I can remember, if only for the fact that we never had a settled team.
    (39 ffs..............)
  • Options
    You are all forgetting that it could actually get worse...Millsmall and The Jills both go up!!
  • Options
    Given ours, the clubs, and the wider football worlds realistic expectations on how we were likely to do this season, we arguably put in the most disappointing performance out of the whole 92 clubs. If they get relegated, Newcastle may have a shout on that one.

For that alone, i can't remember a worse season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]You are all forgetting that it could actually get worse...Millsmall and The Jills both go up!!

TBF the way everything has gone this season they will probably both go up :-(
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Having supported the club for 27 years I have to say 2008/09 is absolutely,totally, utterly a wasteland of a season, the worst bar none if it could have gone wrong it did.And all that after the superb performance against Reading, I really believed that day we were awesome, the rest was largely forgetable. As You say GH even when we lost The Valley we had a good team that kept the pride of the club alive during a difficult time. What will next season bring? Either A) A start made in the battle to return to former glories, in a style similar to Manchester City (Not impossible)or B) A slip into the 4th tier of English football? (Before anyone poopoos that- imagine telling someone in 2005 after we destroyed Middlesboro that in 4 short years we would be in the third division)
  • Options
    I have watched some tosh in my time, but never endured a season with so few bright moments. The football was dull, the team had absolutely no belief, even when we took a lead everyone knew that these numpties wouldnt get the three point, I couldnt identify with most of the players as they kept coming and going, and to make matters worse all the teams in that league were beatable.

Easily the worst season for me!!

However I will be renewing next season with hope in my heart.............
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]I have watched some tosh in my time, but never endured a season with so few bright moments. The football was dull, the team had absolutely no belief, even when we took a lead everyone knew that these numpties wouldnt get the three point, I couldnt identify with most of the players as they kept coming and going, and to make matters worse all the teams in that league were beatable.[/quote]

Brilliantly put and totally accurate.
  • Options
    Yes... so far. :-(
  • Options
    Worst for me by a long chalk. Started going in the late seventies/early eighties and some of the teams we had before Lennie were pretty toss - but any one of them would have at least a few triers in there. People like Les Berry, Leroy Ambrose etc who had a go even though they weren't the greatest of players. The current lot are shoite AND couldn't give a monkeys.
  • Options
    It's been almost unbelievable that both team-wise and club-wise things could end up as they have, and I have no reason to think there's going to be much change in the near future. My seventh relegation but always before I've had some optimism about the future and looked forward to the coming season : not this time though. Can only echo and endorse all the above comments.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about the one when Curbs left
  • Options
    Been going since 1963. This is the worst by a long way. So soon after we were an 'established premiership' club makes it even harder to take. 39 players this season. They can't have all been crap, meaning something fundamentally wrong with management. Most worrying is that we may not have finished falling yet.
  • Options
    Definitely the worst season in all of the years I've been going. This was the first season ever that I haven't been bothered about not going. I must've missed about 10 games this year which in the past would've been unheard of.
  • Options
    It's been the most depressing season ever for me....just can't understand how it's all gone to rat shit in such a short space of time(but that one has been done to death on here so i won't dwell on it).Only missed the one home game but just couldn't be arsed with most of the away games this season which is not like me at all.

I'm still looking forward to next season even if we don't see any takeovers,money etc coming in.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]I think its possibly the worst Ive seen, even taking into account the 72 team....whats made this worse though is the fact that we know on paper at least that they should have done a whole lot better...so maybe its not the worst team, but the worst performance overall by the club...and I was never really in any doubt as to our true numbers....but then again Im a fair bit older than some on here[/quote]

and I was never really in any doubt as to our true numbers

Interesting comment, after 10 years of growth , I had assumed we had significantly grown our supporter base.
    But I do start to wonder if marketing the club during the club differently than 'come and see Premiership cheaply'
    would have generated a different fan base growth.
  • Options
    Been supporting since 85, so this will be the first time I've seen a Charlton team out of the top two divisions. So yes for sure the worst, although as always theres hope things will turn in the right direction again.
  • Options
    Maybe not on paper but definatley on the pitch.
  • Options
    Yes, the worst by far all over the place - pitch, board, and personally I don't think we the fans have been that great either. The Zabeel thing (and the lingering, rather desperate, speculation about rich investors) didn't always show us in a our best light in my view. It certainly exposed some divergent views about what we think we can expect and should aspire to as CAFC supporters. Perhaps the premiership years spoilt us as well as the club in some ways. Or as others have pointed out maybe it has spoiled football full stop. On the other hand, although I have no idea if the club will come back stronger from this, I think the average CAFC fan might.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Given ours, the clubs, and the wider football worlds realistic expectations on how we were likely to do this season, we arguably put in the most disappointing performance out of the whole 92 clubs. If they get relegated, Newcastle may have a shout on that one.

For that alone, i can't remember a worse season.
    The only team in the football league that I think has had a worse season is Chester. Relegated from the football league despite getting an 17 point head start and have entered administration this week.
  • Options
    Annus Horriblis.

A nadir.