Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A financially good end of season.....

...for Charlton's budgeting team.

Millwall and Gillingham filling out the away end next season is probably £120k better off than Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe.

Birmingham winning promotion and Diawarra qualifying for Europe has also brought in some extra cash.

The club will probably have at least £300k in the budget for next year now that potentially might not have been there.

Comments

• Options
    The policing cost for Millwall will negate the away fan revenue.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]The policing cost for Millwall will negate the away fan revenue.

Good point.

Some of us also will give serious consideration as to whether we are prepared to risk attending this fixture which will mean a potential loss of revenue from home fans.
  • Options
    a spot of Black in a sea of red maybe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]The policing cost for Millwall will negate the away fan revenue.

Good point.

Some of us also will give serious consideration as to whether we are prepared to risk attending this fixture which will mean a potential loss of revenue from home fans.

You've said this before Len. The away game I wouldn't blame anyone for not going. However, the home game as long as you enter and exit via the Landsdowne / Charlton Lane side of the ground you'll have no problems. Just avoid Floyd Road / away end and pubs.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Generally I'd agree with you on that . When my kids were younger I would always take that route .
  • Options
    Dont worry about the pubs as Curb-it said they have already said they aint ging to open. the rest of course is just all scaremongering.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Dont worry about the pubs as Curb-it said they have already said they aint ging to open. the rest of course is just all scaremongering.

Scaremongering possibly but I would imagine that the police and both clubs would be happier if The Valley fixture was either an evening kick off or at a time when any potential trouble is unlikely like boxing day.
  • Options
    funny hearing the wall fans on the way home yesterday "oh well at least we got chartlon"
  • Options

Good point.

Assuming you have a ST, your non attendance will mean very little to the club.
  • Options
    Hopefully a bit more than the 4000 to date, though fairly early days.

I for one, will be attending the Millwall game because I have never had the pleasure of their company at a live game. However, my wife used to live in SE16 on lower road next door to a big Milwall pub and I had the misfortune of watching the FA cup final there when Millwall met Man U in the final.

I have never finished my drink so quickly and never cheered Man U so fervently, in the safety of her flat. I also remember the riots that ensued after their play off game with Birmingham.

I really can see why no one likes them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]a spot of Black in a sea of red maybe.

Like your analogy, Nelse. Better than Dead.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

Good point.

You've said this before Len. The away game I wouldn't blame anyone for not going. However, the home game as long as you enter and exit via the Landsdowne / Charlton Lane side of the ground you'll have no problems. Just avoid Floyd Road / away end and pubs.
    Not quite so easy if you have to get the sodding train back into Wall country though.
  • Options

Good point.

can't see too many staying away from a home game cause it's 'Wall visiting, in fact more will attend because it is them. Stay away from the Toolbox, no problem, if you want but there is no reason not to attend The Valley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

Good point.

can't see too many staying away from a home game cause it's 'Wall visiting, in fact more will attend because it is them. Stay away from the Toolbox, no problem, if you want but there is no reason not to attend The Valley.

A lot of home fans stayed away from The Valley after the game in 93/94 had trouble in home areas.

No team/supporters will ever stop me from going to a game but this is one game my four year old will not be going to this season even though I have just bought him his first season ticket.
  • Options
    Was 93/94 the year it all kicked off in the Director's Box?
  • Options
    I seem to remember it went off in the covered end as well that day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]Was 93/94 the year it all kicked off in the Director's Box?

That was the year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]

Good point.

Assuming you have a ST, your non attendance will mean very little to the club.

If it is just me and nobody else thinking that way then I agree with you as they already have my money.

However if plenty of others think like me then a significant dent will be made in bar, food outlet, Club shop and programme sales and thus revenue.

My (and the others obviously) non attendance will mean something to the Club then.

For the record I haven't completely ruled out going I've just said that it needs serious consideration. For example should I leave my daughter at home etc, etc if I do go.

I just think it is a sad state of affairs that I even have to think twice about going to watch my team play with my family. Some will probably accuse me of being over cautious but I go back a long way and know the Millwall reputation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

Good point.

For most games this would be fine but a lot of Millwall live in the same areas as Charlton fans so would be coming from the same direction, same trains, same buses etc. Add to that the fact it'll be their biggest away game of the season and they'll be well up for it.
  • Options
    maybe we should make them pick their tickets up from a service station on the M1!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This scaremongering really has to stop chaps.......lets just look forward to a proper London Derby....anyone would think the Millwall thugs were superhuman.....they are just people......get over it.
  • Options
    would never let Millwall fans put me off, i will be there home and away next season. The one good thing about going down is all the games we have coming up against teams not far away, Millwall, Brighton, Leyton Orient, Southend, Brighton, Wycombe, Brentford...fantastic...add to that a couple of new grounds and i can see myself going to a lot of away games this season for the first time in years.
  • Options
    Word is we've got to collect our Charlton away tickets from TK Maxx in Bexleyheath. Bit of a pain in the ar$e really.

I honestly can't see that it's going to be like some people make it out. As far as im concerned, its an easy away day that lets me get home within half an hour. Anyone that thinks it'd going to be kicking off left, right and center might want to try stepping out of the 80s for five minutes.
  • Options
    Don't want to disagree with you groucho but I will. You scum will turn up as you always do, I know the majority of your fans, granted a small majority, really are not like that. But you do tend to attract the scum of south east london and Kent and although I will be at the game, there is no way I would take my little boy if he was old enough. I can look after myself, but I know too many of your 'fans' from down the years who didn't care what age opposition fans were and would happily have a dig at a kid. That's life I suppose, not your fault scum are attracted to your team, but I would love to see an accurate demographic of your support. My guess would be that most are from outside your natural catchment area and have a tendency to violence fuelled by unemployment, bad upbringing, isolation at a young age possibly bought on by interference from a close relative, low self esteem and small cocks. Apart from that I think you lot are alright and I was absolutely gutted when you lost in the play offs, again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Don't want to disagree with you groucho but I will. You scum will turn up as you always do, I know the majority of your fans, granted a small majority, really are not like that. But you do tend to attract the scum of south east london and Kent and although I will be at the game, there is no way I would take my little boy if he was old enough. I can look after myself, but I know too many of your 'fans' from down the years who didn't care what age opposition fans were and would happily have a dig at a kid. That's life I suppose, not your fault scum are attracted to your team, but I would love to see an accurate demographic of your support. My guess would be that most are from outside your natural catchment area and have a tendency to violence fuelled by unemployment, bad upbringing, isolation at a young age possibly bought on by interference from a close relative, low self esteem and small cocks. Apart from that I think you lot are alright and I was absolutely gutted when you lost in the play offs, again.

Dont hold back
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dear Mr Dowman,
    How very dare you, as said by someones ex flat mate we live in the 80z. Of course that dsnt explain why the last time we played NillWall there was trouble on 3 sides of the ground and in the Directors box. I think if you continue to slag of these unwashed toss bags the "friends of Millwall" will be upset . Consider your self warned. Think you might want to change the "and small cocks "part--- most Millwall fans are big pricks.
  • Options
    Sorry I forgot to mention that their average IQ is equivalent to the number of seats the government will gain at the next election and that they are the product of centuries of inbreeding in the gin houses of the old Kent road and thamesmead, I must add I think they are wonderful salt of the earth types dealt a poor hand in life and subject to a media conspiracy.
  • Options
    And,don't forget, those media "types" put the Turkish flag in their ground for the Leeds game.
  • Options
    I would like to point out that the views expressed in my posts are not those of all Charlton fans, just those that have ever lived in South london or Kent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Groucho78MFC[/cite]Anyone that thinks it'd going to be kicking off left, right and center might want to try stepping out of the 80s for five minutes.

Did the riot after the Birmingahm play off game happen in the 80s or the Spanner at Reading or the trouble at the Valley in 93 (and that is the first 3 of manysince the 80s). Where ever you lot go when it is high profile be it opposition who eqaully like to kick off or a local team it goes off. If it dosen't it will be due to a high police presence which we as a club will have to fork out for.