Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Betting Scandal of 1964 involving Sheffield Wednesday

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
In all my years supporting Charlton I had no idea that one of our ex players, Jimmy Gauld, was the organiser of this match fixing ring and was sentenced to 4 years! I wonder how many other ex Charlton players have gone on to serve time?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]I wonder how many other ex players have gone on to serve time?

Len Glover (the real one!)
    Ronnie Mauge
  • Options
    I know it was before he joined us (on loan from Birmingham) but didn't Ricky Otto do a spell inside before becoming a professional footballer at Leyton Orient?
  • Options
    Peter Storey of Arsenal for running a brothel, I believe
    Graham French of Luton
    Luke McCormick of Plymouth - drink driver
    Mark Ward of West Ham, drug dealing
  • Options
    Phil Parkinson - Impersonating a football manager, badly! (how did he think he could get away with it?)
  • Options
    What did Len Glover do?
  • Options
    In the Valiant 500 there was a goalie who was banged up for currency smuggling just after WW2, think his name was Gerry Keizer.
  • Options
    Didn't Kenny Achampong get banged up after trashing a 36 bus?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Didn't Kenny Achampong get banged up after trashing a 36 bus?[/quote]

Was that the result of one of his speculative shots on goal?
  • Options
    I thought Ricky Otto did time after his playing career ended too.
  • Options
    Sharon, not sure about him being inside, but heard stories about him coming out. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]What did Len Glover do?

I think it was something to do with drugs

Glover Website
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]In all my years supporting Charlton I had no idea that one of our ex players, Jimmy Gauld, was the organiser of this match fixing ring and was sentenced to 4 years! I wonder how many other ex players have gone on to serve time?[/quote]

I was aware of that along with Lane and Kay at Sheffs Weds, what I was interested to understand was how the betting scam worked.
  • Options
    One of those two (Lane or Kay), ran a sports club ground/bar in Blackheath for a fair while some years back....after he came out of the slammer that is.
  • Options
    Frank McAvennie (Drugs)
    Mickey Thomas (Counterfeiting)
    Joey Barton (Being A C***)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]One of those two (Lane or Kay), ran a sports club ground/bar in Blackheath for a fair while some years back....after he came out of the slammer that is.[/quote]

I never knew that . Interesting.
  • Options
    I never realised Len Glover went on to become such a super star after he left us!
  • Options
    Yes. it was in Manor Way Blackheath....can't remember the name of it now....someone on here will know no doubt as it had several football pitches and was well used for weekend local football....also for cricket if I'm not mistaken.
    I'm pretty sure it had a well known name at one time but has long since changed hands...possibly several times since then.
  • Options
    Did Jamie Stewart, Lee Bowyer, Dean Chandler, David Whyte or anyone else do time?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Did Jamie Stewart, Lee Bowyer, Dean Chandler, David Whyte or anyone else do time?
    No.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Yes. it was in Manor Way Blackheath....can't remember the name of it now....someone on here will know no doubt as it had several football pitches and was well used for weekend local football....also for cricket if I'm not mistaken.
    I'm pretty sure it had a well known name at one time but has long since changed hands...possibly several times since then.

It was Grindlays Bank Sports Ground that Tony Kaye was bar steward at in the early 90's. Grindlays were taken over by ANZ then sold to Standard & Chartared.
    Blackheath CC 3rd XI used the ground sometimes as did SE3's other famous club, The Red Dogs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Yes. it was in Manor Way Blackheath....can't remember the name of it now....someone on here will know no doubt as it had several football pitches and was well used for weekend local football....also for cricket if I'm not mistaken.

It was Grindlays Bank Sports Ground that Tony Kaye was bar steward at in the early 90's. Grindlays were taken over by ANZ then sold to Standard & Chartared.
    Blackheath CC 3rd XI used the ground sometimes as did SE3's other famous club, The Red Dogs.

Thank you Chirpy.
  • Options
    Did Jay Notley ever do time?