Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

foreign manager

like Barca's success with Pep Guardiola would it benefit charlton have a manager from abroad bringing new training methods new style of playing like pep a former player would someone like The Tank Costa have the same impact or Di Canio just an idea people

Comments

• Options
    Everything depends on takeover.

But I was impressed with what Di Matteo achieved last season
  • Options
    No.

Maybe as a Championship club, not where we are.

I feel we need big changes on the playing side, and we are going to need people with good player expertise at these levels.
  • Options
    Martinez? Di Matteo? Gus Poyet?

All performed well at this level. If they have played in England for a while I don't see why not.
  • Options
    Gus Poyet another option did well at Swindon and Leeds had a spell at spurs so has been around clubs I dont see why not cant do any worse then AP PP ID LR
  • Options
    I thought Guardiola was Spanish ?

I don't think the nationality really matters, I just want the best man for the job, the one who will get us up (how PC was that answer !!) doesn't matter if he's from England or Italy !
  • Options
    well we havent had that right man since AC left so perhaps its worth a shot who would you like to see be the new manager
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]No.

Maybe as a Championship club, not where we are.

I feel we need big changes on the playing side, and we are going to need people with good player expertise at these levels.

That. And yeah Guardiola is Spanish.

We're going to have bring the right players in, find bargains from The Championship, League One and League Two.

And of course a manager could do even worse, they could take us down to League Two.
  • Options
    I dont care where the manager is from. You can get scouts to find the players in league one and two. I want my manager to manage and get the best out of the players at his disposal and I dont see any reason why this cant be done with foreigners whatever league you are in.
  • Options
    Little bit of a pointless thread in many respects (sorry guys) as, if and when a takeover takes place the new regime will already have their man either in place or very much in mind one would have thought!
    If the takeover doesn't go ahead, I can see Parky staying on quite frankly!
  • Options
    lets hope this take over takes place then dont want PP in the hot seat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quick review of how English v not-English has worked for Charlton so far.

Charlton have won or been placed in competitions twelve times ("Div Three" 29, 35, 75 and 81; "Div Two" 36, 86, 98, 00; Div One 37; FA Cup 46, 47; FM Cup 87). Eleven of those were with English managers. One (1929) with a Scot.

In the last twenty-five years (since Les Gore took over in April 1974) Charlton have had one manager from outside England. Iain Dowie.
  • Options

In the last twenty-five years (since Les Gore took over in April 1974) Charlton have had one manager from outside England. Iain Dowie.[/quote]

Agreed...Dowie was in fact from outside the Universe!
  • Options
    So we've never had a foreign manager then (i.e. non UK & Rep.) ?

Maybe that's what's been missing all along...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]So we've never had a foreign manager then (i.e. non UK & Rep.) ?

We had one period from September 1967 to April 1974 where we were managed by non-UK people (Eddie Firmani, followed by Theo Foley). During this period Charlton won precisely nothing and suffered relegation to the third tier.

However, it should be noted that at least Theo Foley made one significant signing: Derek Hales.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]So we've never had a foreign manager then (i.e. non UK & Rep.) ?

We had one period from September 1967 to April 1974 where we were managed by non-UK people (Eddie Firmani, followed by Theo Foley). During this period Charlton won precisely nothing and suffered relegation to the third tier.

However, it should be noted that at least Theo Foley made one significant signing: Derek Hales.

I'd say 3 Hales, Flanagan and Powell.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Eddy Firmani was south African

Theo Foley was from RoI

Pardew from plant Ego

Parkinson can come from anywhere as long as he goes back very quickly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lee Heywood[/cite]lets hope this take over takes place then dont want PP in the hot seat

takeover or no takeover Parky is toast
  • Options
    lets hope so off to Reading he goes lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]I dont care where the manager is from. You can get scouts to find the players in league one and two. I want my manager to manage and get the best out of the players at his disposal and I dont see any reason why this cant be done with foreigners whatever league you are in.

Whilst it seems unlikely this type of scenario. A European manager would have contacts to good bargain players, or up & coming talent in their particular coutries, or surrounds. Wouldn't necessarily need all league 1 experienced players, if these were good imports.
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]takeover or no takeover Parky is toast

Can you keep that to the toast thread please Large ;-)

Toast in it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well said stefco i like the idea of that remember that player dowie had that looked good basinos tricky winger - midfield player couldnt get a work permit he was a bit special
  • Options
    Yeah defo foreign manager for us, we should get that flower bloke from Barca, gladiola !!
  • Options
    Phil Parkinson IS foreign, foreign to his team, foreign to the idea of being a football manager!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lee Heywood[/cite]well said stefco i like the idea of that remember that player dowie had that looked good basinos tricky winger - midfield player couldnt get a work permit he was a bit special

Assuming you're talking about Bolanos, he was hardly an unknown gem. He had been on trial with Liverpool before us, played in the world club championship, and had played a few games for Costa Rica (just not enough to get a work permit obviously). Anyway he was decent, promising, but not significantly better than what we had.

He also signed Pouso who wasn't suited to English football at all.
  • Options
    yes thats him in the friendlys he looked good enough Pouso apart from that goal against england he looked lost when he played for charlton hadnt played enough games for costa rica

lets be honest dowies signing dont go down well apart from the loan signing of carson
  • Options
    And Reid of course. New when I saw him the first game or two he'd be important for us.
  • Options
    Diawara was very underrated, too. It'lll always take a while for these things to bed in... The likes of Faye was useless, but he's put in a good shift for Stoke this year, too.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah obviously there's a reason he signed for Bordeaux and is still playing for them. Maybe he was like Rommedahl and just wasn't suited to English football. Did have some decent games towards the end though.

Faye at Stoke just another example of us not being able to get the best out of a player.