Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Minutes from the Fans' Forum meeting held on Thursday 14th May 09

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't understand the hostility to supporters providing the club with potential leads on up and comers. There are a limited number of things that Addicks abroad can do to help the club, but one clear resource that can (and should) be tapped is additional eyes looking for inexpensive talent as a supplement to the academy.

While I spend an inordinate amount of time watching bad football in America, inlcuding Crystal Palace's U.S. affiliate in Baltimore, I would like to imagine that if there was a player on the pitch (particulary one with an EU passport) who showed any promise, there would be someone to flip the information to at the club. I harbor no illusions that I have a keen eye for talent, but I do speak to professional scouts at matches here and, when I can go, in West Africa. I would imagine many other Charlton supporters do as well.

Voicing a serious concern that Chappie might be inundated with bad leads seems a bit silly; as does the assertion that listening to supporters regarding talent would render mighty Charlton the equivalent of a Conference side. The club has built and cultivated supporters across the globe -- a network that few if any conference sides (and a limited number of English clubs in general) can claim -- what possible protest could there be in attempting to utilize this resource to a greater extent?

I am grateful for the information. And, Dave, thanks for being willing to be the receptacle for the opinions of wannabe football managers around the world that happen to care about little Charlton.
  • Options
    When a supporter has provided the exclusive lead to the new American Shelvey, I will of course be delighted to eat my words.

Until then I remain sceptical. To call it hostile is laughably over-playing my point.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]When a supporter has provided the exclusive lead to the new American Shelvey, I will of course be delighted to eat my words.

Until then I remainsceptical. To call it hostile is laughably over-playing my point.

It depends on what the actual intention is. If its a case of oversees Charlton fans watching games in other countries then emailing Charlton saying so and so is worth looking at, then it will prove pointless like you say.

If however, it leads to building some for of connections in other markets, ie. a Charlton fan is good friends with say Brondby's academy coach, or runs a successful youth team is Brisbane, or has a son who is at an academy in Sweden, then trying to establish some form of links and a route in could only be of benefit, would it not.

For example, i think it was Prague Addicks friend that alerted the club to the availability of Kishishev.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]If however, it leads to building some for of connections in other markets, ie. a Charlton fan is good friends with say Brondby's academy coach, or runs a successful youth team is Brisbane, or has a son who is at an academy in Sweden, then trying to establish some form of links and a route in could only be of benefit, would it not.

Although the only thing with that is, we've had plenty of links with all sorts of clubs around the world in the last 4 or 5 years, and I don't think we've seen one first team appearance by a player from it.

Does show how hard it is and not easy to predict what will happen. Remember Jani Tanska, the new Sami Hyypia, apparently AC Milan wanted him, but he signed for us. Rurik Gislason, meant to be a promising attacking midfielder, and more recently, Martin Christensen and Mikkel Jensen. There were others as well, we brought in a Danish and before him a Hungarian(I think) 'keeper. Pretty sure there's a few more.

In fact we've probably had more success bringing in British and Irish players in, Elliot and Randolph came from other clubs, as did Shittu (fair enough he didn't play for us, but he's been a bigger success than any of the above players).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Centenary_Shirt[/cite]When a supporter has provided the exclusive lead to the new American Shelvey, I will of course be delighted to eat my words.

Until then I remainsceptical. To call it hostile is laughably over-playing my point.

It depends on what the actual intention is. If its a case of oversees Charlton fans watching games in other countries then emailing Charlton saying so and so is worth looking at, then it will prove pointless like you say.

If however, it leads to building some for of connections in other markets, ie. a Charlton fan is good friends with say Brondby's academy coach, or runs a successful youth team is Brisbane, or has a son who is at an academy in Sweden, then trying to establish some form of links and a route in could only be of benefit, would it not.

For example, i think it was Prague Addicks friend that alerted the club to the availability of Kishishev.

Whilst i agree that there are rare occasions like these where it works, this would already happen - as happened in your example. My fear is encouraing everyone to think they are talent scouts, and sending endless reports back along the lines of - I went to Ibifa for my olidays an I saw this rite good kid called Don Marco and I recon you should go an watch im. One report from every fan on their 'olidays leads to a massive overload and the gems like Kish would be missed.
  • Options
    I find the remarks regarding Parkinson and season ticket renewals utterly distasteful.