Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Wembly Shadow

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
I absolutely hate the way 3/4 of the pitch on a sunny day at the new wembly stadium is in a deep shadow.

Comments

• GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
  • haha fastest goal ever
  • not seen by quite a few...................cos of the shadow ;-)
  • They can slide parts of the roof out of the way to get rid of the shadow, but ITV need the roof in place to allow that silly camera to operate
  • i blame clive tyldsley for that shadow.
  • I blame Waggot
  • It annoyed me too.
  • [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]I blame Waggot
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]It annoyed me too.

What,Waggott & the shadow ?

;-)
  • The shadow was annoying.
  • we used to call Bryan Hughes 'The Shadow'. I wondered where he was, at Wembley apparently.
  • Sponsored links:

• To be serious for a moment ! The shadow on the pitch completely destroyed my enjoyment of the game. Not that i cared much about Chelsea V Everton. But had that been Charlton V Anyone in the cup final, i would be seriously pi**ed off.

Hang on a minute !!!!!!!!!! If that had been Charlton V Anyone i'd have been there...........................
    Well! you know what i mean...............................dontcha?
  • It's less of a problem if you watch terrestrial coverage as the signal compression on satellite can be pretty tough. It's worse on LCD and plasma TVs than old fashioned CRT (ie big heavy)sets as these are better at coping with dark pictures.

But it's annoying. I remember reading some of the hype when the place was being built that the design and placing was such that this wouldn't be an issue and remember thinking that would only possible if the stadium was on casters and slid along to follow the sun. Anyway. The Collisseum in Rome had sunshades built to stop the glare ruining the site of a few Christians being killed so some kind of translucent screen could presumably be put in place, though that would probably bung another fiver on the cost of a burger.
  • In today's Times.

When the stadium was rebuilt at a cost of £757 million, the architects were said to have employed astronomers to calculate the sun’s position on May afternoons. It was believed that, at 3pm on Cup Final day, only the two southern corner flags would be in shadow.

Given that today scientists can predict the smallest deviations and 'wobbles' of our planet's orbit around the sun for many years in the future how did they get this so badly wrong? I am sure the Romans could have predicted the length of shadows 4 or 5 years into the future with better accuracy then what we witnessed on Saturday!
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]In today's Times.

When the stadium was rebuilt at a cost of £757 million, the architects were said to have employed astronomers to calculate the sun’s position on May afternoons. It was believed that, at 3pm on Cup Final day, only the two southern corner flags would be in shadow.

Given that today scientists can predict the smallest deviations and 'wobbles' of our planet's orbit around the sun for many years in the future how did they get this so badly wrong? I am sure the Romans could have predicted the length of shadows 4 or 5 years into the future with better accuracy then what we witnessed on Saturday!
    A lot of the shower was from the non-moveable roof, astronomers aren't what they used to be!
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]I blame Waggot
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]It annoyed me too.

What,Waggott & the shadow ?

;-)

Both!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]In today's Times.

When the stadium was rebuilt at a cost of £757 million, the architects were said to have employed astronomers to calculate the sun’s position on May afternoons.

Perhaps Charlton could employ Astrologers to calculate the club's position on a May afternoon next year.

Or even the next time we appear at Wembley - like a May afternoon next year ..... ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]In today's Times.

A lot of the shower was from the non-moveable roof, astronomers aren't what they used to be!

Which it would, if the FA and Wembley push back the moveable parts of the roof
  • When the stadium was rebuilt at a cost of £757 million, the architects were said to have employed astronomers to calculate the sun’s position on May afternoons. It was believed that, at 3pm on Cup Final day, only the two southern corner flags would be in shadow.

Which assumes that CF day is on the same day every year, which it plainly isn't.
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]In today's Times.

Which it would, if the FA and Wembley push back the moveable parts of the roof
    A lot of the shower was cast from the side stand's roof which is retractable. There's nothing that opening the ends roof could of done.
  • Perhaps it was the smoke of Guus' cigar, should he be fined for smoking in a work place?