Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gareth Barry to Manchester City

That's going to set off an interesting cat/pigeon interface

Comments

• Only because I thought he was a target of Liverpool. If he has seen something that makes him think Man City are a serious prospect, then maybe they will make more "big" signings. Until now, I had always assumed the clear hierarchy between the three clubs was Liverpool, Villa, City. Apparantly not any more.
  • Suppose Man city are less of a threat than Liverpool to Villa in terms of league position so pretty shrewd move by o'neill.

Theyll get a lot more cash than they would from the scousers as will the player himself whilst getting to ply his trade alongside robinhio etc. Also less pressure on him there than at pool where he may not necessarily get to play every game under rafa who likes to rotate even top drawer players.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Only because I thought he was a target of Liverpool. If he has seen something that makes him think Man City are a serious prospect, then maybe they will make more "big" signings. Until now, I had always assumed the clear hierarchy between the three clubs was Liverpool, Villa, City. Apparantly not any more.

Barry isn't get any younger, if he signs for 4 years or more then it's likely to be his last big contract. City will offer him more than Liverpool would as well. Also he'd be a regular at City but probably a bit part player at Liverpool if they keep Mascherano and Alonso so it's not that hard to see why he'd prefer City.
    I genuinely feel that with the right signings City will be a top 4 club within 2 years.
  • Last June
    Gareth "I want to join Liverpool - I want to play Champions League football"

This June
    Gareth joins Man City who are not even in Europa Cup

Who said it's all about the money!!
  • Given that Hargreaves seems permanently crocked and Carrick is, well, Carrick Barry would be an good signing for United rather than City.

Oh, the days when Dennis ran straight at him and got him sent off at the Valley.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Only because I thought he was a target of Liverpool. If he has seen something that makes him think Man City are a serious prospect, then maybe they will make more "big" signings. Until now, I had always assumed the clear hierarchy between the three clubs was Liverpool, Villa, City. Apparantly not any more.

Barry isn't get any younger, if he signs for 4 years or more then it's likely to be his last big contract. City will offer him more than Liverpool would as well. Also he'd be a regular at City but probably a bit part player at Liverpool if they keep Mascherano and Alonso so it's not that hard to see why he'd prefer City.
    I genuinely feel that with the right signings City will be a top 4 club within 2 years.
    That's a really good point and you may well be right. But, are you saying they will be a top-4 side at Liverpool's expense? If not, then it's still a weird choice.
  • No i'm not saying that, if anything it'd be at Arsenals expense. But we don't know if Liverpool are still in for him. Alonso is a better player so unless he goes, Liverpool don't need Barry. I'd have thought Liverpool would be better off spending their money on decent full backs, a strike partner for Torres and possibly a right winger to attack fullbacks as Kuyt doesn't do that.
  • I've been interested and followed Barry since the tiswas at Brighton. Like Lucas Neill before him I think it'd be a shame if he goes to a second rank team, I'd rather he go abroad to Madrid or Milan as I think he's good enough. City won't improve him as a player.

Clearly Rafa thinks Barry's better than Alonso. Yet Mascherano and Alonso is a better mix. Rafa doesn't have the money but he either needs to create another in the hole force, or dig out a winger from somewhere. If I was Rafa I'd go all out for Tevez, he can play with anyone and fill in for Gerrard or Torres. Barry is a great player
  • ][/quote]
    That's a really good point and you may well be right. But, are you saying they will be a top-4 sideat Liverpool's expense? If not, then it's still a weird choice.[/quote]

Surely Tottenham are going to break into the top 4 next season !!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Given that Hargreaves seems permanently crocked and Carrick is, well, Carrick Barry would be an good signing for United rather than City.

Oh, the days when Dennis ran straight at him and got him sent off at the Valley.
    I have absolutely no recollection of this - was that the game Bent scored from a header from a pass from the half way line?
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Given that Hargreaves seems permanently crocked and Carrick is, well, Carrick Barry would be an good signing for United rather than City.

I have absolutely no recollection of this - was that the game Bent scored from a header from a pass from the half way line?

T'was indeed. Bryan Hughes scored the winner.
  • Saturday, 30 December 2006,
    Charlton 2-1 Aston Villa

Bryan Hughes came off the bench to head home a dramatic last-minute winner for Charlton against 10-man Aston Villa.

Gareth Barry put Villa ahead from the spot after he was brought down in the area by Hermann Hreidarsson.

Charlton, who had earlier hit the bar through Darren Ambrose, levelled when Darren Bent met Talal El Karkouri's long ball with a precise diving header.

Barry saw red after an hour for hauling down Dennis Rommedahl but Villa looked to have held on before Hughes struck.

New Charlton boss Alan Pardew saw this as a must-win game for his relegation-threatened side before kick-off - and in the end his players did not let him down.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Given that Hargreaves seems permanently crocked and Carrick is, well, Carrick Barry would be an good signing for United rather than City.

Rommedahl cut inside from the right wing about 40 yards out and accelerated towards goal - he was in a goalsoring situation just outside the box about to go 1-on-1 with their keeper, when Barry floored him and was red carded.
  • I don't think i ever saw the enigma that was Rommedahl do anything even close to a run like that before or after that Villa game. Waste of a talent.
  • why oh why do you lot keep dragging those great days up

cant we just remember always being this shit
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I don't think i ever saw the enigma that was Rommedahl do anything even close to a run like that before or after that Villa game. Waste of a talent.

So true. If only he had been that aggressive in every game.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I don't think i ever saw the enigma that was Rommedahl do anything even close to a run like that before or after that Villa game. Waste of a talent.

It was the same move he did when he scored from outside the box with a cracking shot at Newcastle.

And the same move as when he scored the winner at Palace.
    Remember 'Dennis-in-the-last-minute' ..... ?

;o)
  • Barry undergoing a medical at Man City according to ssn. Ms Thompson looking hot today.
  • He could never have a good whole game, it was always a half here and there. Don't think I know a more frustrating player!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]He could never have a good whole game, it was always a half here and there. Don't think I know a more frustrating player!

Darren Ambrose .... ?

;o)
  • edited June 2009
    http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6633735

Signed a five year deal but for how much a week? Money talks! I can't see his career progressing any further by making that move.