Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

pc help if poss

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
I'm having problems loading pictures onto my ebay account, i can load them up in the morning but NOT in the afternoon or THE evening, when i try to load them in the afternoon or evening i get There was a picture service server error try me again later.

This has only been a recent problem,any ideas or help?

Can load fine on other pc's.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Bandwidth throttling by your ISP? First thing ISPs do when they throttle internet usage is destroy your upload speed - though its a little bit drastic that you can't upload images at all during those periods, that would be my best guess based on the info you've given. I often can't use any of the upload facilities on Facebook during what Virgin media laughably define as 'peak' time (i.e. anything outside 9-5 on a workday or the hours of midnight and 6 AM)
  • Options
    Never get any problems like this, never have either!! I am on a Mac by the way!!!
  • Options
    Gees Leroy have Virgin gone like that? Used to have NTL and Virign and the throttling occurred more often than not during work hours, or at least P2P used to drop off at that time.

I would say leroy's almost certainly right. Your ISP is throttling at peak times and the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) rate is too slow for eBay: the connection to ebay's server will timeout if the upload is not fast enough for their settings.

Best thing is check on your ISP's website for throttling rates and times, they change these when it suits them. If they don't have them online phone up and ask them, some ISP's provide very little info on when they kill services but they'll tell you. If it's that then it's upgrade to a better service or change ISP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Gees Leroy have Virgin gone like that? Used to have NTL and Virign and the throttling occurred more often than not during work hours, or at least P2P used to drop off at that time.

I would say leroy's almost certainly right. Your ISP is throttling at peak times and the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) rate is too slow for eBay: the connection to ebay's server will timeout if the upload is not fast enough for their settings.

Best thing is check on your ISP's website for throttling rates and times, they change these when it suits them. If they don't have them online phone up and ask them, some ISP's provide very little info on when they kill services but they'll tell you. If it's that then it's upgrade to a better service or change ISP.
    All sage advice - except that FTP doesn't enter into it if he's just trying to upload images to eBay. That's all done over HTTP & HTTPS.

Also, the ISP will lie through their teeth when asked for any info - even over the phone. They'll just say they do 'adaptive' traffic shaping (which, basically, means they can throttle your traffic whenever they like and you can't do a damn thing about it).

Up until Virgin took over the old Telewest network I had one problem on cable in five years. Since then its been non-stop grief. They haven't invested in the network, have ramped up charges and oversubscribed the routers in almost every area of the country.
  • Options
    Stop getting drunk in the afternoon
  • Options
    Why ?

(hic)
  • Options
    Thanks all,great help,i'll go and throttle my isp :-)