Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where for a good Sunday Lunch?

Have found it hard top find a nice place to take the kids but found this:

www.greenmanpub.com

The Green Man, Hodsoll Street.

Not cheap but top quality grub. Kids lapped it up, big thumbs up.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Have found it hard top find a nice place to take the kids but found this:

www.greenmanpub.com

The Green Man, Hodsoll Street.

Not cheap but top quality grub. Kids lapped it up, big thumbs up.

Hodsoll Street was missed completely on the 1931 Census!

There used to be a cutting on the wall in the Green Man. I think the population at the time was 10 or something like that!

Used to be a decent boozer but many years since I've been there.
  • Options
    The George in Trottiscliffe does decent grub and has an outside play area for the kids
  • Options
    Best place is The Knoll in Higham...out of this world...once again not cheap but absolutely spot on....a dessert trolley to die for.You come out fit to burst!
    Unfortunately you have to book 'at least' two or three weeks ahead and because of weddings they stop doing Sunday dinners at the end of April and start again (or so I believe) around September/October time.
    This is not a pub...it's a banqueting and conference center in a huge old Victorian House set in beautiful gardens.
    Look it up on the web....Higham is about 7 miles east of Gravesend, not far from Shorne Ridgeway.
  • Options
    I had a terrible argument the last time I was in the Green Man, Hodsoll Street. I booked a table for my mother's birthday, as she lives nearby, but because it was such a nice day, everyone flocked there, meaning that our table was not really reserved. Most things were off the menu and we had to wait over 90 mins to get food. I complained at the end, saying that I had booked 2 weeks in advance, but was told "What do you expect on a nice day?". Charming. I won't be going back. Maybe, you should go there on a wet Sunday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Best place is The Knoll in Higham...out of this world...once again not cheap but absolutely spot on....a dessert trolley to die for.You come out fit to burst!
    Unfortunately you have to book 'at least' two or three weeks ahead and because of weddings they stop doing Sunday dinners at the end of April and start again (or so I believe) around September/October time.
    This is not a pub...it's a banqueting and conference center in a huge old Victorian House set in beautiful gardens.
    Look it up on the web....Higham is about 7 miles east of Gravesend, not far from Shorne Ridgeway.

Oi, get on with your work & finding them badges.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Best place is The Knoll in Higham...out of this world...once again not cheap but absolutely spot on....a dessert trolley to die for.You come out fit to burst!

Oi, get on with your work & finding them badges.....

Not the Charlton Life badges?:-)
  • Options
    My sister likes it there and I have been meaning to try it. whats with these pubs that stop food at 2.30 on sundays? i hate that i want to eat about 4ish.

We ate at the Snail at Stone Street (Seal, Sevenoaks) - mainly a fish restaurant but does good sunday lunch but pricey also.
    Then stopped for a beer at the Bucks Head in Godden Green which is in a beautiful setting and doesnt get much better than that. Not eaten there but might try fathers day.

Kent in places is really stunning.
  • Options
    Len, like the "Takeover" I can't say !
  • Options
    There aren't many places that actually do a decent roast now. And like The Green Man you have to book or you are fooked.

The amount of times Ive turned up at 230-3pm and the restaurant is shut you wouldnt believe.

My Fave, The Black Lion in Southfleet apparently got burnt down by some local yoof. Magic eh. . . .

In winter we sometimes go to the carvery at The Lord Kitchener in Welling, but end up bumping into a load of old pals that I could do without bumping into!

Hodsoll Street is lovely, but a really odd place. One pub for about 20 houses. . . . bit spooky.

Bartellas in Meopham is great but doubt it does a roast dinner!

You can tell I havent had lunch today. . . . .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]My sister likes it there and I have been meaning to try it. whats with these pubs that stop food at 2.30 on sundays? i hate that i want to eat about 4ish.

We ate at the Snail at Stone Street (Seal, Sevenoaks) - mainly a fish restaurant but does good sunday lunch but pricey also.
    Then stopped for a beer at the Bucks Head in Godden Green which is in a beautiful setting and doesnt get much better than that. Not eaten there but might try fathers day.

Kent in places is really stunning.

I use The Bucks Head quite often, especially after a nice gentle walk in Knole Park...smashing pub.
    The snail is also a great spot....though I've not been there for while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Beehive does a cracking sunday lunch. A pint of turps, all you can eat before one of the local chavs starts on you and a ruck - all thrown in for £3.99.
  • Options
    I'm more a man about town .. and this place is superb

The Water Poet

It's between Liverpool St/ Spitalfields and Shoreditch so you have to have an asymmetric haircut...
  • Options
    The Castle, Chiddingstone
    The Wheatsheaf, Bough Beach
    The White Rock, Underriver
    The Chaser, Shipbourne (definitely book for Sundays)
    The Swan, West Peckham
  • Options
    Went to the Pilot yesterday and was disappointed.

The Hill in Greenwich is alright
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]The Castle, Chiddingstone
    The Swan, West Peckham

Does The Swan still brew its own beer do you know?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]The Castle, Chiddingstone
    The Swan, West Peckham

Does The Swan still brew its own beer do you know?

Yes it does Len - My parents live down that way and we normally go to the Swan followed by the Chaser inn in Shipborne which I can highly recommend for some very good grub at what seemed like good prices - at least when I was last there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]I'm more a man about town .. and this place is superb

The Water Poet

It's between Liverpool St/ Spitalfields and Shoreditch so you have to have an asymmetric haircut...

My 'local' at work. Decent boozer and reasonable food.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]I'm more a man about town .. and this place is superb

The Water Poet

Totally agree. I really miss that place. Had my leaving drinks in there - I don't remember leaving the pub so it must have been good!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]

I love a Wheatsheaf where Bough Beach?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]

I love a Wheatsheaf where Bough Beach?

Near Edenbridge/Hever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]

The Water Poet

Totally agree. I really miss that place. Had my leaving drinks in there - I don't remember leaving the pub so it must have been good!!

I lived down Folgate Street 2001-2003 so it really was my local.
    Use to do a cocktail called Dead Man Walking which was vodka,red bull and absinthe !!!
    Wasnt open at weekends then though - had to watch footy on a sunday over The Gun.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite] had to watch footy on a sunday over The Gun.

Another decent boozer in the area - does a great salt beef sandwich for lunch.

The Kings Stores is another
  • Options
    had a feeling you'd be involved in this thread - food and all that LOL
  • Options
    well i've managed to get a table in the green man for sunday lunch so will report back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]had a feeling you'd be involved in this thread - food and all that LOL

Did someone just break wind? Am sure I heard an annoying squeak...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]had to watch footy on a sunday over The Gun.

Another decent boozer in the area - does a great salt beef sandwich for lunch.

The Kings Stores is another
    Pretty much every lunchtime for 6 years in the Stores till I left RBS. Still go down there quite a lot on fridays.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]well i've managed to get a table in the green man for sunday lunch so will report back.

lol about to book one for myself on Sunday, Daisy is treating me for my first Fathers day, if we can get a table that is.
  • Options
    Took my old dad to the Green Man yesterday. Lovely spot as falconwood said and fekking great huge roast beef dinner. Nice.
  • Options
    I bet it was very busy yesterday Curb_it??
  • Options
    The gun at Docklands for a portuguese BBQ and a pint of super bock