Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Everyday i pass it and never been in ?

Ive walked past HMS Belfast everday for years and never been on it i dont know why just never done it is it any good ? Then again never been in the Tower ?

Think ill have to be a tourist for the day......anyone else not been to things they walk past every day...........must say cant say the same for pubs i walk past everyday i think ive done them all now....except that wine bar next to London Dungeon......oops another place never been !

Comments

• Options
    yep same to many parts of London
  • Options
    Went to the Belfast as a kid.
    Never been:
    Tower of London
    London Eye
    Buckingham Palace
    InsideTower Bridge
    London Aquarium
    Westminster Abbey
  • Options
    Belfast is great - went last year with my eldest we were on there nearly 4 hours

Been to most places but never been Buck Palace but then it was never open to public when we were kids like it is now.
  • Options
    Nope. Used to work in Fenchurch Street, and could see it every day from the window.

Since I've moved to Cornwall, it's great to go back to London and see the familiar stuff with different eyes.
    London is truly a treasure trove for the keen tourist.

Living down here in Cornwall, you get blase about it being a beautiful place to live - and take being near the sea for granted. Last week for my birthday, me and a friend went on holiday - just 1 mile and 15 minutes walk away from home!

We camped for 3 days, and had the most wonderful time under blue skies seing all of our little peninsula like a tourist - coastal paths, Country Park, woods, beaches, pub lunches and a Cornish cream tea. And then met our mates from our 'normal life' to watch pub musicians in the neighbouring village during the evening, lol

No traffic or airport stress. Even got the neighbour to feed the cat.

Try being a tourist in London for a couple of days or a weekend, including perhaps a night in a hotel - and treat it like you would if you were on holiday, no going home.

Try it. Bet you'd have a great time!
  • Options
    I've done the London Eye (disappointing)
    River tours (excellent!)
    Tower Bridge (Not much there but you get a great view)
    Tower of London (great stuff!)
    London Dungeon (That would have been 20 years ago and all I remember is my mum arguing about how expensive it was with the ticket girl!)
    Madam Tussauds/Planetarium (would have been back in 1992, planetarium was crap but Tussauds was good)
    Monument (if you want a great view of London and don't mind spiral stair cases, this is what you want, only £3 or free if you do tower bridge!)
    and various museums, art galleries etc on school trips.

London is such a great city!
  • Options
    I did the Belfast as a teenager back in the 70's.....Never done the London Dungeon....is it worth a look?....did Tussauds as a kid and the planetarium....went to the V&A for the first time ever last year...well worth it.....There is a London Transport museum somewhere? Anybody been?
  • Options
    when i was a shift worker and not on shift ,Fridays was on it night. So i would get up town mid day and go to one of the tourist places ----Tower---Imperial War museum/Science/V+A/natural History etc etc and then on to meet my mates and get rat arsed later ------------------true British culture !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]There is a London Transport museum somewhere? Anybody been?
    It's in Covent Garden, I think it's free. I've never been but I know some people who have and they liked it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]I did the Belfast as a teenager back in the 70's.....Never done the London Dungeon....is it worth a look?....did Tussauds as a kid and the planetarium....went to the V&A for the first time ever last year...well worth it.....There is a London Transport museum somewhere? Anybody been?

Transport Museum used to be at Clapham when I was a kid, full of shiny colourful old steam engines and ancient trams, like the ones that used to go between Woolwich and Charlton - ask March 51, he remembers them ....(!)

;o)

A few years ago, I took the kids to the one that's at Covent Garden. It's a bit smaller than the one that used to be at Clapham, and mainly contains London transport relics - there's a tram and horse-drawn bus, a locomotive from the Underground, and you can have a go driving the Tube train simulator. My kids loved doing that, so I made sure I had a go too!

Easy to get to, just off the Strand, 5 mins from Charing X station.
  • Options
    Everytime I drive over Tower Bridge I always remember what my dad says:
    "Tourists pay thousands to come over to see things like this,we use it as a road from A to B".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]There is a London Transport museum somewhere? Anybody been?
    It's in Covent Garden, I think it's free. I've never been but I know some people who have and they liked it.
    Not free, unfortunately - £10 for adults, though it's free if you've got a TfL staff pass (or staff nominee pass) or if you've got a Freedom pass
  • Options
    Tile Centre, Princes Road, Dartford.........does that count?

:-)
  • Options
    Tile centre ? herd thats not all its cracked up to be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Tile centre ? herd thats not all its cracked up to be.

Oi, your really getting my grout!
  • Options
    yes sorry mate that joke just didnt cut it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]yes sorry mate that joke just didnt cut it.

Yeah, snap out of it.
  • Options
    Me neither, done most of the tourist things, may take a half day in the summer and have a nose around, followed by a few pints in the pub just along the river from there
  • Options
    I go to the Tate Modern from time to time, just a bit upstream from HMS Belfast.
    Does that count .... ?

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]I .....There is a London Transport museum somewhere? Anybody been?

took NLJR to the new layout as it opened last year NLJR is nutts for trains but this was ok no where near how good it could be
  • Options
    You mean NLJR is an Addick trainspotter ....?

Don't tell the Spanners.

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took the kids to LT museum. £8 for adults if you want to be a tight git and not gift aid it., Free for kids. Thought it was ok, tried to explain to my kids how we used to hang off buses.

Went on Belfast last year for a corporate bash, fascinating.

Did the sightseeing tour last year on the big open top bus. Was ok. Kept pulling guide up on her facts! We got to Tower Bridge and it went up. Tourists loved it.

Kevin Portch's brother does/did ghost tours of town I think.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

Kevin Portch's brother does/did ghost tours of town I think.

Was he in high spirits .... ?
  • Options
    London Fire Brigade museum at southwark bridge training centre, although I'm not sure if its open to the public which could be a problem. But its great for the kids.
  • Options
    My old man was a radio operator on the Belfast, so many hours spent on there hanging around as a kid. Its worth a visit specially for boys who like huge guns etc. make a boat day of it and do the Golden Hind as well , shame about the Sark :(
  • Options
    Thanks for the mention Oggie. Yes, Clapham was indeed the place to see the historical LT vehicles including the steam powered tube engines; They also stored withdrawn stuff there prior to its being sold. Since its recent re-vamp Covent Garden has 'lost' many of its large exhibits which can now be seen at a disused depot at Acton! Slightly off subject but one of the most interesting museums for transport is at Wroughton Airfield, off the M4 near Swindon. It houses, in old aircraft hangars, all the stuff that's too big for the Science Museum not only road transport but a Lockheed Constellation and lots of other 'planes, many of them prototypes : a fascinating place only open 3 or 4 times a year, it's on the Museum's website if anyone's interested.