Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

D-Day photos - Very proud today

DA9DA9
edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
I'm a very proud & happy man today, Fred Norris, in the photos on NOTW website, I helped organise his trip, just had the family back with the vehicle (blonde lady in glasses to his left, holding his arm) and they were telling me the stories from the weekend, almost in tears here.

D-DAY

Comments

• Options
    It's fantastic that so many veterans can still make the trip, good man for helping to organise the trip. You've every right to be very proud.
  • Options
    I'm not ashamed to say the memorials each year put a lump in my throat.

Good on you mate
  • Options
    Well done DA9.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited June 2009
    Cheers all, In fairness, all part of my job, but still immensely pleased I could play a part, however small.
  • Options
    Nice one E

Heroes one and all of them
  • Options
    Well done mate, good on yer!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I'm a very proud & happy man today, Fred Norris, in the photos on NOTW website, I helped organise his trip, just had the family back with the vehicle (blonde lady in glasses to his left, holding his arm) and they were telling me the stories from the weekend, almost in tears here.

You big softy
  • Options
    Was in tears on Saturday when watching the coverage on the TV.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.
  • Options
    Well done, makes me even prouder to be an Englishman.
  • Options
    Well done DA9 you should be very proud of yourself.

It must be great to have the privilege of knowing some of these men.

The pictures on saturday were very moving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good hit E.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well done DA9.

We who came after should never forget the debt we owe to these incredibly brave men who were prepared to give their lives that we may enjoy the freedoms we now take as read. Yet again, whether by cock up or for other reasons our Government got on the wrong end of this! I think that Gordon Brown is at the stage that if he fell into a barrel of t*ts, he come up sucking his thumb!

My son has been learning about D Day at school. In my opinion it should be a compulsory part of the curriculum for children to study this. In the "bang your dead" explicit world of high tech games that kids experience these days, learning about real heroism and the horrors of real war should be used as a positive counterbalance to the consequence vacuum these games bring with them.

My 10 year old son has asked me if I will let him watch Saving Private Ryan. As it is a 15 Cert film, I have refused thus far. Am I right? Part of me thinks that letting him watch films that get close to the true horrors of warfare will help to shape his understanding of the truth better than anything I could say to him. On the other hand should he be spared, at his tender age, the traumas of reality for a while longer? I wonder what is for the best in the long run?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]My 10 year old son has asked me if I will let him watch Saving Private Ryan. As it is a 15 Cert film, I have refused thus far. Am I right?

The beginning is very violent, but it isn't gratuitious - does that make a difference ?
  • Options
    It is a brilliant movie that we watched in year 9 or 10 so would say watch it yourself then decide.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Well done DA9.

We who came after should never forget the debt we owe to these incredibly brave men who were prepared to give their lives that we may enjoy the freedoms we now take as read. Yet again, whether by cock up or for other reasons our Government got on the wrong end of this! I think that Gordon Brown is at the stage that if he fell into a barrel of t*ts, he come up sucking his thumb!

My son has been learning about D Day at school. In my opinion it should be a compulsory part of the curriculum for children to study this. In the "bang your dead" explicit world of high tech games that kids experience these days, learning about real heroism and the horrors of real war should be used as a positive counterbalance to the consequence vacuum these games bring with them.

My 10 year old son has asked me if I will let him watch Saving Private Ryan. As it is a 15 Cert film, I have refused thus far. Am I right? Part of me thinks that letting him watch films that get close to the true horrors of warfare will help to shape his understanding of the truth better than anything I could say to him. On the other hand should he be spared, at his tender age, the traumas of reality for a while longer? I wonder what is for the best in the long run?

My advice would be to watch the film yourself first and gauge whether or not you think a "15" cert is justified. You also know your own child and how impressionable he is (or not) and thus whether he is likely to be adversely affected by any excessive violence, blood and gore etc.

If you think it is ok after roadtesting it yourself then sit and watch it with him.

If you think it is too much for him at this age promise him that you will watch it with him when he is a little older if he is still interested.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you're nervous about letting him watch Saving Private Ryan why not let him watch The Longest Day. Yes its in B&W but its not quite so violent.

Plus its less Hollywood storyline following one patrol and closer to a documentary of what happened to the US, Canadian and British forces. Oh and the French ;)

Wiki Link
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Well done DA9.

I'd say let him watch it but be careful you don't order shaving ryans privates by mistake!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]let him watch The Longest Day. Yes its in B&W but its not quite so violent.

Plus its less Hollywood storyline following one patrol and closer to a documentary of what happened to the US, Canadian and British forces. Oh and the French ;)

Wiki Link

My all time favourite war film, followed by A Brideg Too Far, Saving Private Ryan, and have the Band Of Brothers box set, which is awesome.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I have watched A Bridge Too Far with him, I suggested we watch The Longest Day together but he didn't like that idea.

I have seen Saving Private Ryan and I think, all bar the first twenty minutes, it's probably OK for him, but it's that twenty minutes that specifically related to D Day, thats the dilemma. I'll have another look at the "twenty minutes" and then make a decision.

As for Shaving Ryans Privates, I've not seen it, any one got a copy?............

.......only joking!!
  • Options
    My father was at D-Day + 3 , Lion Beach, Armoured Division, Tank regiment
    But He's currently in Darenth Valley Hospital fighting his final battle , not sure who is worse the Germans, or the NHS and the Social Services.
    love him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All the best to your dad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: clivey_hero[/cite]My father was at D-Day + 3 , Lion Beach, Armoured Division, Tank regiment
    But He's currently in Darenth Valley Hospital fighting his final battle , not sure who is worse the Germans, or the NHS and the Social Services.
    love him

Regards to him...

D-Day is only part of the struggle, the battle for France and the liberation of Paris took a lot longer to achieve and the breakout from Normandy saw fighting and casualty levels similar to WWI trench warfare. The Germans were considerably more prepared for this element of the battle and the Panzer divisions were some of the elite regiments in the German Army, plus they were armed with the Tiger tank against the inferior Sherman and Churchill tanks. The British armoured divisions fought valiantly in the battle to free France.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: clivey_hero[/cite]My father was at D-Day + 3 , Lion Beach, Armoured Division, Tank regiment
    love him

I'm sure all on CL send our best wishes.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]let him watch The Longest Day. Yes its in B&W but its not quite so violent.

Wiki Link

My all time favourite war film, followed by A Brideg Too Far, Saving Private Ryan, and have the Band Of Brothers box set, which is awesome.

I forget who it was but one of the actors who played a one of the Officers in the 6th Airborne who secured the bridges behind the German lines had taken part in the actual attack in '44 and played the part of his CO.

Must have been hard for him to relive that with all the memories that would have come flooding back.
  • Options
    Richard Todd.
  • Options
    My Dad was in the tank regiment and he said he had been in the first tank to land. His task,with others, when it was over was to clear the bodies from the beaches. It was an experience too overwhelming for him and his life, and the lives around him, were profoundly affected. I grew up in a generation that very much needed to forget the war, and I now understand this attitude was both hurtful and perhaps neglectful to those who had served. I am so happy that some veterans (hopefully this includes Clivey_hero's dad) can live their final days knowing that todays young generation both care and respect their service. But how come I million Brits voted BNP, are they just unthinking alienated people who haven't made the connections? Very sad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]Richard Todd.

That was it! :)
  • Options
    love him

All the best to your dad.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]My Dad was in the tank regiment and he said he had been in the first tank to land. His task,with others, when it was over was to clear the bodies from the beaches. It was an experience too overwhelming for him and his life, and the lives around him, were profoundly affected. I grew up in a generation that very much needed to forget the war, and I now understand this attitude was both hurtful and perhaps neglectful to those who had served. I am so happy that some veterans (hopefully this includes Clivey_hero's dad) can live their final days knowing that todays young generation both care and respect their service. But how come I million Brits voted BNP, are they just unthinking alienated people who haven't made the connections? Very sad.[/quote]

My dad drove the Sherman Tank which acted as a mine sweeper and they would normally go in first , he saw his elder brother's Tank blow up at St Lo in the Battle for Caen , and almost got court martialled for leaving his Tank and running to get his brother out , luckily my uncle survived and even luckier received a Blighty wound.

Dad was also one of those unlucky enough to liberate Belsen, which although he will say 'I don't like to talk about it ', but once he gets going .......
    My brother and I grew up in awe of what he did and I think he knows most of our generation respect those who did their duty, although he never had much time the Politics of it all. Some years ago we took him back to Lion Beach in Normandy , which was moving. I Remember him saying how much it had changed , which amused us all.

Many Thanks to Curb_it , Da9 , Blackforest and miserable for their kind words
  • Options
    The Tigers were designed to fight the Russian T34s at long range on the open plains not for the tight fields, towns and lanes of Normandy.

Here the Shermans and Churchills could get closer to their target and use this to their advantage whereas the long barrelled Tigers actually had a disadvantage because the barrell took that much longer to swing around and engage and even at times would get blocked by trees, hedgerows, walls etc

It was actually the 88mm Panzerschreck (Bazooka) and their 88mm anti-tank guns that did most of the damage to Allied armour during the breakout.
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    love him

Regards to him...

D-Day is only part of the struggle, the battle for France and the liberation of Paris took a lot longer to achieve and the breakout from Normandy saw fighting and casualty levels similar to WWI trench warfare. The Germans were considerably more prepared for this element of the battle and the Panzer divisions were some of the elite regiments in the German Army, plus they were armed with the Tiger tank against the inferior Sherman and Churchill tanks. The British armoured divisions fought valiantly in the battle to free France.

The Tigers were designed to fight the Russian T34s at long range on the open plains not for the tight fields, towns and lanes of Normandy.

Here the Shermans and Churchills could get closer to their target and use this to their advantage whereas the long barrelled Tigers actually had a disadvantage because the barrell took that much longer to swing around and engage and even at times would get blocked by trees, hedgerows, walls etc. Therefore the tank battles were a little more balanced, especially when the Sherman Fireflys were involved as they had been fitted with the British 17lb anti tank guns. A normal Sherman could not destroy a Tiger, unless it was within 100m and the shell impacted on the side of the Tiger.

The 88mm Panzerschreck (Bazooka) and their 88mm anti-tank guns that did pretty much 50% of the damage to Allied armour during the breakout.

Right - Nerd moment over!