Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boozing etiquette

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
Was out on the lash last night and was chatting to some Aussie barman. Anyway, being the charitable kinda fella that I am when I ordered the next round I offered him a drink. I gave him a tenner for the two pints of Stella I'd ordered and whatever he wanted.

Cheeky bastard came back to me asking for another 50p as he wanted a Stella too and it was £3.50 a pint.

Am I wrong or is that bang out of order???

Comments

• Options
    That is taking the p*ss. They usually take a couple of quid and put it in the staff jar (or their pocket).
  • Options
    I think you should count yourself lucky that he wasn't drinking champagne :-)
  • Options
    Etiquette doesn't even come into it, you just gave him a tip, I've never heard of a barman asking for more money to top up a tip. Aussie? Sounds about right.
  • Options
    As soon as you said Aussie I could guess the next step in the dance, me personally?

I would of asked for my change, but I can appreciate the awkward situation you were in.

I would of asked for my change without our antipodean friend's drink
  • Options
    Cheeky bar steward...
  • Options
    Yes that's out of order, stupid convict schlaaaaaag. What Carter said.
  • Options
    He should have got himself a half...simple as.
  • Options
    Bang out of order. Did you give him the extra 50p?
  • Options
    You should've ordered a cheaper lager
  • Options
    You're right VM. Since when did £3.50 become an acceptable price to pay for a pint of anything?!

To be honest, when he asked for more dough I initially thought that I'd given him a fiver instead of a tenner, but then it dawned on me.

Cheeky ****.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]You're right VM. Since when did £3.50 become an acceptable price to pay for a pint of anything?!

To be honest, when he asked for more dough I initially thought that I'd given him a fiver instead of a tenner, but then it dawned on me.

Cheeky ****.
    We're all different I guess...but I certainly wouldn't have allowed it to pass by without a comment of some kind....and he wouldn't have got the extra 50p that's for sure!
    Like I've said, he should have worked it out before hand....which I'm sure he did, the sly fecker....and bought himself a half.
  • Options
    Without doubt the etiquette is that he should have taken for a half. Are you flush then Rockerfeller?
  • Options
    Ha, i think that's hilarious. Would have loved to have seen your face !

He should have took a half
  • Options
    That's perfectly acceptable. Most of my mates own, run or work in bars and if someone offers you a drink, you take for the drink. Some pubs have staff rates so they only take two quid and that covers their pint, but many it's full price. Many barstaff prefer to do a shot of Jager or sambuca with a customer, but that's not far off the price of a pint (£2.40-£2.80 usually). What would piss me off was if they didn't drink it and just took the money. I want to see them drink the drink I've bought in front of me, and when on occasions (on holiday, no-one would dare do it to me) people have tried to put the money in a tips jar instead, I insist on them either having the drink or giving me the money back. As long as the bloke actually drank the pint, then he is behaving spot on according to all bar etiquettes that I am aware of.
  • Options
    You have to admire his balls !!!!!
  • Options
    I've never seen that happen and has made me chuckle. Can't say I agree with it but I'm sure I would have handed over the 50p in shock!
  • Options
    The fecka didn't even pull himself a pint - it went straight into his dusty bin. To be honest I was in shock, and pretty smashed, so it took me a while to fully appreciate what had just happened.
  • Options
    lol classic

to be honest i thin most of us to a man would have been gobsmacked by that
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Aw man the awkard situations generousity can get you into. To be honest the ones kind enough to tip are usually the ones who say nothing aswell. On the plus side you did get a good story out of it. "eh mate, you got 50p more?" Classic.
  • Options
    What a mug
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit harsh VA thought Off It was being very generous LOL
  • Options
    buying an Aussie a beer and a geezer at that, you deserve it ----------------- did you get his phone number (smilly face thingy)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]You have to admire his balls !!!!!

Quote of the Day!
    I always knew there was something different about you Shooters ........ (!)

;o)
  • Options
    When I did bar work it was considered taking the P if you took a pint. Half was considered acceptable.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]That's perfectly acceptable. Most of my mates own, run or work in bars and if someone offers you a drink, you take for the drink. Some pubs have staff rates so they only take two quid and that covers their pint, but many it's full price. Many barstaff prefer to do a shot of Jager or sambuca with a customer, but that's not far off the price of a pint (£2.40-£2.80 usually). What would piss me off was if they didn't drink it and just took the money. I want to see them drink the drink I've bought in front of me, and when on occasions (on holiday, no-one would dare do it to me) people have tried to put the money in a tips jar instead, I insist on them either having the drink or giving me the money back. As long as the bloke actually drank the pint, then he is behaving spot on according to all bar etiquettes that I am aware of.

So wrong you are almost meeting yourself coming back the other way! If they have a drink the owner gets the benefit, not the barman (and that's me speaking as an owner BTW), many places don't allow their staff to drink behind the bar so they can't accept a drink anyway, or if they can it's a coke, which they probably don't really want and the cash goes in the owners pocket once again.

Ditto taking for a an expensive drink and then asking the kind donor to cough up more money, only one in ten people asks if you want a drink/offers a tip, so when they are kind enough to do so, you don't take the p*** like that idiot did.
  • Options
    Don't worry Algarve, I've learnt my lesson. If I find myself in any bars this coming weekend you can be sure I won't be buying the guvnor a light ale!
    ;o)

Oh, and cheers for your kind words vancouver - duly noted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Don't worry Algarve, I've learnt my lesson. If I find myself in any bars this coming weekend you can be sure I won't be buying the guvnor a light ale!
    ;o)

I was referring to the Aussie as a mug Offy, you mug ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Don't worry Algarve, I've learnt my lesson. If I find myself in any bars this coming weekend you can be sure I won't be buying the guvnor a light ale!
    ;o)

I was referring to the Aussie as a mug Offy, you mug ;o)

Oh, that's ok then. I'll cancel the flight to vancouver now.
  • Options
    lol sorry that was me stirring it .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]lol sorry that was me stirring it .

Cheers ledge ;o)

Don't cancel the flight Offy - I could do with a few Stellas tonight ;o)