Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Somme and the Retreat From Mons (some little CAFC Content)

Addickted, I MissthePeanutman, A Chelsea Fan and Yours Truly were in northern France over the weekend visiting some of the many, many CWGC memorials in the area, at only one of which did we interrupt an elderly French couple doing the do in the back seat of a car.

As well as some of the big sites (Thiepval, the memorial to the 72,000 missing from the Somme and Compiegne, the site of the German Surrender in 1918 and the French surrender in 1940) we went to some smaller and very beautiful cemeteries.

Tales of dogems at 1.00am, dodgy moulles, late knight drinking, bellows, being woken up at 8.00am to move the car for a Sunday market and more may get exaggerated in the telling.

A cracking weekend, thanks lads.

The CAFC content.

We paid our respects at the grave of Fred Chick, one of 4 CAFC members who died in WWI but the only one whose name we know.

We also found the grave of Billie Nevill the young officer who provided four footballs, one for each company, to kick in front of them as they walked towards the German Front line on the first day of the Battle of the Somme 1st July 1916. Nevill, along with 60,000 others, was a casualty that day.

Photos to follow

Comments

• Options
    Where did you stay?
    Did you see or find any of the iron harvest?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]Where did you stay?
    Did you see or find any of the iron harvest?

Stayed in a very small village called Longpont about 60km east of Paris. They had a Saturday night fair going on which was great to join in. Friends place and very nice.

A complete shell had been left on the wall of one of the cemetaries. Decided against bringing it home as they can, and do, still explode.

Also saw French kids selling shell caps at Theipval at 5 Euros a go.
  • Options
    You can never pay too much for a good shell cap :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]You can never pay too much for a good shell cap :-)

Or shoes!
  • Options
    Can't upload my photos as they are too big. The others can load there's instead.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This reminds me of the brilliant, evocative song by The Men They Couldn't Hang - The Green Fields of France: (wrtten by Eric Bogle)

Well, how do you do, Private William McBride,
    Do you mind if I sit down here by your graveside?
    And rest for awhile in the warm summer sun,
    I've been walking all day, and I'm nearly done.
    And I see by your gravestone you were only 19
    When you joined the glorious fallen in 1916,
    Well, I hope you died quick and I hope you died clean
    Or, Willie McBride, was it slow and obscene?

Did they Beat the drum slowly, did the play the pipes lowly?
    Did the rifles fir o'er you as they lowered you down?
    Did the bugles sound The Last Post in chorus?
    Did the pipes play the Flowers of the Forest?

And did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind
    In some loyal heart is your memory enshrined?
    And, though you died back in 1916,
    To that loyal heart are you forever 19?
    Or are you a stranger without even a name,
    Forever enshrined behind some glass pane,
    In an old photograph, torn and tattered and stained,
    And fading to yellow in a brown leather frame?

The sun's shining down on these green fields of France;
    The warm wind blows gently, and the red poppies dance.
    The trenches have vanished long under the plow;
    No gas and no barbed wire, no guns firing now.
    But here in this graveyard that's still No Man's Land
    The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
    To man's blind indifference to his fellow man.
    And a whole generation who were butchered and damned.

And I can't help but wonder, no Willie McBride,
    Do all those who lie here know why they died?
    Did you really believe them when they told you "The Cause?"
    Did you really believe that this war would end wars?
    Well the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame
    The killing, the dying, it was all done in vain,
    For Willie McBride, it all happened again,
    And again, and again, and again, and again.
  • Options
    Like Henry, I'm having problems uploading my pictures - being told...

The file you attempted to upload was empty.
    You are not allowed to upload the requested file type:

Any ideas anyone, as there are some 'interesting' 'photo's.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]This reminds me of the brilliant, evocative song by The Men They Couldn't Hang - The Green Fields of France: (wrtten by Eric Bogle)

Well, how do you do, Private William McBride,
    Do you mind if I sit down here by your graveside?
    And rest for awhile in the warm summer sun,
    I've been walking all day, and I'm nearly done.
    And I see by your gravestone you were only 19
    When you joined the glorious fallen in 1916,
    Well, I hope you died quick and I hope you died clean
    Or, Willie McBride, was it slow and obscene?

Did they Beat the drum slowly, did the play the pipes lowly?
    Did the rifles fir o'er you as they lowered you down?
    Did the bugles sound The Last Post in chorus?
    Did the pipes play the Flowers of the Forest?

And did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind
    In some loyal heart is your memory enshrined?
    And, though you died back in 1916,
    To that loyal heart are you forever 19?
    Or are you a stranger without even a name,
    Forever enshrined behind some glass pane,
    In an old photograph, torn and tattered and stained,
    And fading to yellow in a brown leather frame?

The sun's shining down on these green fields of France;
    The warm wind blows gently, and the red poppies dance.
    The trenches have vanished long under the plow;
    No gas and no barbed wire, no guns firing now.
    But here in this graveyard that's still No Man's Land
    The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
    To man's blind indifference to his fellow man.
    And a whole generation who were butchered and damned.

And I can't help but wonder, no Willie McBride,
    Do all those who lie here know why they died?
    Did you really believe them when they told you "The Cause?"
    Did you really believe that this war would end wars?
    Well the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame
    The killing, the dying, it was all done in vain,
    For Willie McBride, it all happened again,
    And again, and again, and again, and again.

GULP!
  • Options
    Top verses there from the men they couldnt hang.......a lad who worked for me back in the eighties used to follow them all over the country......he was a bit weird and a Nigel to boot.

Amazing what you can find whilst walking alongside the fields in Northern France.....I had a large collection of shells, detonator caps and various odd bits of shrapnel.......I once found a massive shell which must have stood nearly three feet in height in a field near Hawthorn Ridge.....I have the photos somewhere. My Grandads brother is commemorated at Thiepval. I once sat at the ruins of a German machine gun block, next to the Ulster tower.....I was stting there trying to get a feel for what it must have been like, walking towards your death......there was a group in the grounds of the tower and someone was reciting poetry....it was really surreal and somewhat eerie.....
  • Options
    Hi Henry.....
    Was over at The Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme two weeks ago.....
    My brother in law has a base over there as he works for the western front, and does research for the CWGC .

I was tracing my grandfathers brother who died over there private Smart from Deptford......

If there are any Charlton connections I am sure he will check them out he has access to the war records/graves etc. Players/ officials/ fans
    If you have any names/dates let me know I am sure he would be happy to help out, he owes me a favour or two...... just give me a whisper.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Hi Henry.....
    Was over at The Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme two weeks ago.....
    My brother in law has a base over there as he works for the western front, and does research for the CWGC .

I was tracing my grandfathers brother who died over there private Smart from Deptford......

If there are any Charlton connections I am sure he will check them out he has access to the war records/graves etc. Players/ officials/ fans
    If you have any names/dates let me know I am sure he would be happy to help out, he owes me a favour or two...... just give me a whisper.....

Thanks Ken,

All we know is that the Club minutes from 1919 when CAFC was reformed post war mention four members who paid the "ultimate price" or similar. But no names are mentioned. It could be any of the pre-war players or coaches etc and at this distance almost impossible to find. If we knew the names we could have a good stab at finding them as the CWGC records are pretty good.

Clive Harris, who is a Charlton fan and runs tours of the Western Front, has done some research and Fred Chick is the only one he's been able to say with any certainty was one of the four.
  • Options
    Frank "Bronco" Burton, who stood over 6 foot tall, was a Mexican born full-back signed from the Hammers who served as Sgt F Burton GS/47737 in the Royal Fusiliers, first with the 23rd Sportsmans then to the 1st Battalion. He served at Ypres, Somme and Cambrai and was wounded 6 times and awarded the Croix de Guerre. He then went onto play 107 times for Charlton

Many of the Charltons fans had already swelled the ranks of the 20th Londons (Woolwich and Blackheath) by the time the club decided to "wind up" for the duration in March 1915. Records show 30 Club members, players and officials joined the forces. 4 lost their lives and seven more were wounded.

One such man was Fred Chick player and trainer at what is now the Valley signed on the 13th Middlesex, an over spill of the 17th (footballers) Bn. He is listed as Private 245365. He was killed in action 31/8/16 and is buried at Caterpillar Valley Cem, at Longueval on the Somme
  • Options
    Cheers Ken, that's the info we have, but we can't seem to locate the other three who lost their lives during '14-'18.

I've got a lovely picture of Fred Chicks grave (if admin can assist with the download).

His headstone actually says "West Kent (Queens Own) Yeomanry"- we were there yesterday!
  • Options
    To all of you that have accused me of being a member of a 'BNP lite' (English Democrats) political party.
    Whilst you were there, had you travelled to Ieper (Ypres) you may have found the grave of my Grandfather. I did.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]To all of you that have accused me of being a member of a 'BNP lite' (English Democrats) political party.
    Whilst you were there, had you travelled to Ieper (Ypres) you may have found the grave of my Grandfather. I did.

my great grandad got a Military cross for his bravery there Daggs
  • Options
    A great honour N L addick. you should be proud.
    My grandfather got a DCM (posthumous) He was 26 yrs old!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]A great honour N L addick. you should be proud.
    My grandfather got a DCM (posthumous) He was 26 yrs old!

proud as punch done some good research through some helpfull tips from folks on here
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Respect to your great/Granddads, Daggs and NLA.

Mine fought at Jutland in 1916 while my dad was in the Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal (the danger UXB people) in WWII
  • Options
    Thanks Henry. There are some things we do have in common. :)
    NLA. Did your G Grandad suvive the war?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes mate got all the way through ans was in the Military Police for the 2nd
  • Options
    Wow, as someone with little or no family background beyond my Mum, these story's of your family achievements make great reading and all should be, and rightly so are very proud. ...........................Doff's cap to one and all....................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Wow, as someone with little or no family background beyond my Mum, these story's of your family achievements make great reading and all should be, and rightly so are very proud. ...........................Doff's cap to one and all....................

i placed his medal in a display in the Enfield small arms museum, the post office stamp on the back of the medal box was Enfield post office 5 mins from where i currently live. It takes time to research and is imensly satisfing NLJR will in herit the medals he is already so proud of them and has taken them to school to show off at show and tell.

They shall not be forgotten in this House hold i can assure you of that
  • Options
    Whilst i obviously wish my Grandfather hadn't died when he did, and indeed wish he had never had to do what he and thousands, or is that millions, of other young men had to do. If any of you have relatives who died in WW1 ever get a chance to visit the cemetaries and battlefields of Northern France and Belgium, do it. It's an experience you'll never forget or regret.
  • Options
    I started to read this thread thinking 'what has this got to do with anything'.

Wow my opinion has changed. I am not aware of any of my grandfolks war histories other than my two Nan's in WW2. One worked on the Conscription Board which sat in what became the Dole Office in Spray Street in Woolwich. Henry, I think your brother worked there in the 80's? And the other worked in the Arsenal making the bits and pieces you guys still discover.

Also a reminder to dig out my Men They Couldn't Hang album;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]I started to read this thread thinking 'what has this got to do with anything'.

With one of my threads? How could you think that? : - )

Yes Danny did work there then? Do you know him then?

My nan also worked in the Arsenal in WWI. She was one of the Canaries, so called because the cordite in the shells made their skins turn yellow.
  • Options
    Yeah I worked with Dan and went to a few Charlton Games with him. Ask him about Jonno and see if he remembers me. Also, remind him he is rubbish at table tennis!!
  • Options
    Great post guys , I have become very interested in reading about ww11, most people do not realize how many people died in that war amazingly it was almost 50 million.
    My dad was in Burma and i want to visit there but at the moment not very safe.
    A few years ago a group of friends and i was on holiday in Prague and decided to go to Poland and visit Auschwitz- Birkenau , that was the most terrible thing you can imagine, I would recommend the authority's instead of sending these ASBO's on holiday to sunny places to send them there instead , you never know it just may rub some respect off on to them...
  • Options
    WW1

Battlefields from the air, new footage
  • Options
    Very interesting . My great Uncle is buried at Dulhallows cemetry in Ypres and we have been back a few times at this time of year to leave a cross . The new aerial footage stonemuse mentions above , was shown last night on the news or bits of it and Ypres was just a wasteland apart from the debris of the Cloth Hall , it was astonishing. I knew there wasn't much left, but to see it from the air was amazing. Also the footage of Passchendaele was incredible , just thousands of shell holes full of water.