Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Normandy 2009

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
For those that are interested.
What an occasion, we went to Normandy on June 4th and returned on June 8th.
We visited Pegasus bridge for the first celebrations 12.16am June 6th. Also Omaha beach, the cemetary is overwhelming there, over 9000 US service men buried there. ST Mere Eglise, Caranten, Merville Battery were also incredible places to visit. Everyone must go at least once. We met loads of Veterans and were lucky enough to hear plenty of stories, one is below. We also met Eddie Izzard ( I will post a pic when I get a chance) he is patron of The Normandy Veterans and was a top bloke. We will be back next year. Cheers

This chap was top though...read on

We me Don Baker at Pegasus Bridge on 8-6-09. He spent approx. 45 minutes recounting his wartime experiences, he is 87 years young and gives lectures on the Normandy battlefields.

Don was originally in the RAF as a rear gunner on bombers, in 1941 over the East of England he was wounded on his tenth mission by ‘Friendly Fire’, or has he said ‘it didn’t seem that friendly at the time’. The flak hit his window and gun and he was covered with hydraulic fluid, which was as corrosive as acid. This caused massive lacerations to his legs culminating in 3 months sick leave. He applied to be a fighter pilot but was turned down, he was then asked to join the fledgling SAS. His unit was given a map reference behind enemy lines, was parachuted in and told to make camp and await orders. He told a very funny story involving a visit to a liberated town, too much drink, a girl, perfume a hangover and a search for his unit back behind enemy lines. Those that heard the story will never forget it! By the time he had finished we were surrounded by other Vets and the camaraderie and banter was well in evidence after all these years.

They shall grow not old
As we are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Who's the old bloke on the right?

Thanks Bibble.
  • Options
    Cheers Dan, btw Le Tourniere,where we camped was lovely. Great place.