Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Missing Man

Has anyone clapped eyes on Parkinson recently ? The Official Site only seems to mention him in the past tense.

Comments

• Options
    yeah selling the big issue down victoria this morning

lock on FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]Has anyone clapped eyes on Parkinson recently ? The Official Site only seems to mention him in the past tense.

Intriguing, can you send a link, wishfull thinking and all that...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    well os statement on hereford away no mention of the man ie Phil parkinson will be taking his team to etc
  • Options
    I'm not saying he's gone it's just that he is only mentioned in the past tense.

For example "Investing in Youth" 12th June - "Rob Elliot, Chris Solly, Scott Wagstaff, Jonjo Shelvey, Lloyd Sam and Tamer Tuna - were in Phil Parkinson's squad for the final match of last season against Norwich City"

or "Reserving Judgement" 8th June - "U18s coach Matthew was promoted to the second XI role in mid-November following the elevation of Mark Kinsella to join Phil Parkinson's first-team staff after the departure of Alan Pardew."

There don't appear to be any quotes from him since the end of the season and nothing seems to refer to him going forward. I'm also surprised that he was not mentioned in the contract talks piece on the 5th June.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]I'm not saying he's gone it's just that he is only mentioned in the past tense.

For example "Investing in Youth" 12th June - "Rob Elliot, Chris Solly, Scott Wagstaff, Jonjo Shelvey, Lloyd Sam and Tamer Tuna - were in Phil Parkinson's squad for the final match of last season against Norwich City"

or "Reserving Judgement" 8th June - "U18s coach Matthew was promoted to the second XI role in mid-November following the elevation of Mark Kinsella to join Phil Parkinson's first-team staff after the departure of Alan Pardew."

There don't appear to be any quotes from him since the end of the season and nothing seems to refer to him going forward. I'm also surprised that he was not mentioned in the contract talks piece on the 5th June.

This is clutching at straws to the extreme. The first "were" refers to the list of youngsters, not Parky himself. It's not like it says "Rob Elliot, Chris Solly, Scott Wagstaff, Jonjo Shelvey, Lloyd Sam and Tamer Tuna - were in the squad when Phil Parkinson was still manager for the final match of last season against Norwich City"
  • Options
    Presumably he's on holiday...hence the lack of quotes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]well os statement on hereford away no mention of the man ie Phil parkinson will be taking his team to etc

agree, even if they couldn't get a quote from Parky it would at least have said something along the lines of that suggested. That it doesn't I take to be good news.
  • Options
    I'm not saying he's gone dabos, what I'm saying is that it seems strange that there have no mentions or quotes from Parkinson for something like 6 weeks. You would think with only a couple of weeks to go before the players come back for pre season and with players at the end of their contracts he would have been around for at least one interview. I also have not seen him arriving or leaving the training ground which I usually do on a regular basis. I'm not really in the Parkinson out brigade, I think he will have to do because I think it is going to be difficult to find someone of any quality.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite] I'm not really in the Parkinson out brigade, I think he will have to do because I think it is going to be difficult to find someone of any quality.

a ringing endorsement there !!!

And how is it going to be difficult to find someone of any quality ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately with very little cash and a need to sell what decent players we have I think it will be difficult to persuade someone with a proven track record to come. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Despite the poor financial state we are in, I'm sure other clubs are in a similar state, Charlton must still ne a mildly attractive propostition to an up and coming manager and we will need to be carefull in who we appoint.
    Charlton has a fine stafium, good facilities and is just in a dormant malaise but with a modest up turn in results with fans leaving the Valley pleased, if not ecstatic. rather than thoroughly depressed, this could be a very good time for a new manager to join us. Lets face it, things could not have been much any worse than under parky and I am sure that a new manager will have a decent honeymoon period and could quickly get the fans on his side, should his carreer start well.
  • Options
    agreed that we are still an attractive option for managers, with a decent shout at promotion surely most managers would welcome the chance to get us back into the championship and add that to their CV
    even with little money managers such as Boothroyd and Jim Gannon have been there and done it with low budgets gettting teams promoted, also neither are contracted anywhere
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]agreed that we are still an attractive option for managers, with a decent shout at promotion surely most managers would welcome the chance to get us back into the championship and add that to their CV
    even with little money managers such as Boothroyd and Jim Gannon have been there and done it with low budgets gettting teams promoted, also neither are contracted anywhere

Gus Poyet is another without a club.

I agree that there are many unemployed managers who could do a job, but we would also have to pay off Parkinson if his contract doesn't expire in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]I'm not really in the Parkinson out brigade,I think he will have to do because I think it is going to be difficult to find someone of any quality.
    It would be difficult for a number of reasons. Which "quality" manager in their right mind would agree to take over at Charlton right now? We've been relegated to the lowest FL division we've ever played in; we have no money; our more experienced players are out of contract; we have no money; our better players (Bailey, Shelvey) are being feted in the press as being too good for this division; we have no money; season ticket sales are down; we have had to sell the training ground; we can't afford a proper reserve team next season; and, on top of all of that, we have no money.

Taking all of this into consideration, is there any - any - "quality" manager who might look at Charlton right now and say to himself, "I really want to do a job there, despite the fact they can't afford me and I would have to sell far more than I could buy"?

Parkinson may have proven that he wasn't good enough to keep Pardew's squad up on Charlton's money. But is there anyone else who could do a better job and who would be interested in doing it in today's circumstances?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]

I agree that there are many unemployed managers who could do a job, but we would also have to pay off Parkinson if his contract doesn't expire in 2 weeks.
    The clue's there, really.
  • Options
    If we are going to replace Parkinson we have to get it right this time, replacing one poor manager with another one just for the sake of it is a waste of time and money. Honeymoon periods don't last long and we need to get out of this division as soon as we can. Lets just hope the board get it right this time if that are going to jettison Parkinson.

If you go back to June 08 on the Official Site the majority of news items speak of "Pardew's Charton" and he is quoted a lot of the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SparrowsLane[/cite]I'm not really in the Parkinson out brigade,I think he will have to do because I think it is going to be difficult to find someone of any quality.
    It would be difficult for a number of reasons. Which "quality" manager in their right mind would agree to take over at Charlton right now? We've been relegated to the lowest FL division we've ever played in; we have no money; our more experienced players are out of contract; we have no money; our better players (Bailey, Shelvey) are being feted in the press as being too good for this division; we have no money; season ticket sales are down; we have had to sell the training ground; we can't afford a proper reserve team next season; and, on top of all of that, we have no money.

Taking all of this into consideration, is there any -any- "quality" manager who might look at Charlton right now and say to himself, "I really want to do a job there, despite the fact they can't afford me and I would have to sell far more than I could buy"?

Parkinson may have proven that he wasn't good enough to keep Pardew's squad up on Charlton's money. But is there anyone else who could do a better joband who would be interested in doing itin today's circumstances?

Alternatively, the person we should appoint is the one that looks at all those factors and says "Right then, bring it on" and not "we'll I've got no money so we'll just do our best and see what happens, yada, yada, yada..."

Of course there are people out there who see us as a step up with bags of potential. I really don't get this idea that Parky's the only bloke who'd take the job, I really don't...
  • Options
    Chizz, as stated above, it still provides a hungry and aspiring manager the chance to kickstart a big club that is very down. I don't think the problem was so much the squad, but the appalling management that took place under pardew and parky. The squad's morale was rock bottom and the team selection confusing.
    Maybe it would be a risky position to take, but the rewards would be immense. It is one hell of a challenge, but the right person can make it work.
  • Options
    Your right there are plenty of managers who would take the job, but there are also plenty that would make a mess of it as we've seen on the last few occasions. Another wrong appointment will leave us even more out of cash and in this division for another season at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: c4fcdenmark[/cite]Chizz, as stated above, it still provides a hungry and aspiring manager the chance to kickstart a big club that is very down. I don't think the problem was so much the squad, but the appalling management that took place under pardew and parky. The squad's morale was rock bottom and the team selection confusing.
    Maybe it would be a risky position to take, but the rewards would be immense. It is one hell of a challenge, but the right person can make it work.
    You're absolutley right. If we can find a "hungry and aspring manager" to kickstart Charlton - and his own career - we'll be in an enviable position. There are, however, two flaws with this.

Should we gamble on another new manager? Especially in the scenario you are suggesting, which seems to be a manager with no experience, pedigree, history, success already.

Second, in the current situation, who could honestly say that they would feel absolutely comfortable with this board's latest choice of manager? To put it another way, after appointing Dowie, Reed, Pardew and Parkinson, what makes our decision-makers think they have suddenly cracked it when it comes to appointing managers?

If it were down to me, I would throw my support completely behind Parkinson, make sure he and his players knew that he was in full charge and wait, hope and pray that he can take us up in one or two seasons.
  • Options
    your last statement says it all Chizz.........".......I would throw my support completely behind Parkinson......."

thats excatly what the directors / chairman should be doing. IF he is still in charge of the 1st team AND is still going to be there come July then the directors should be saying just that UNEQUIVICALLY.

Surely they read his site and have read the many many comments re takeover and Parky's future. Nw is the time to say it loud and clear.........either he is here for the forthcoming season or he isn't. It is now getting beyond a joke
  • Options
    I fear ive lost 20 quid to Brunello and Chirpy ;-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I fear ive lost 20 quid to Brunello and Chirpy ;-(

So has it all fallen through then, NLA, and Parky is here to stay?
  • Options
    Chizz, fair points. I think our views ultimately stem from whether we (a)want Parky, (b)´stand by him until his contract expires or someone too good to be missed out on or a takeover means that we can attract a decent calibre and pay parky off, or (c)not at all and the board should dismiss parky, be contacting agents, drawing up a shortlist for interview and that they should have done this weeks ago immediately after the Narch game.

I get the impression you are a (b) and I am a (c) - do not insert three letters(!). The board seem to be (a)s.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Presumably he's on holiday...hence the lack of quotes.[/quote]

Long bloody holiday...I wish I was the manager of a football team!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I fear ive lost 20 quid to Brunello and Chirpy ;-(

So has it all fallen through then, NLA, and Parky is here to stay?

not fallen through but perhaps our views on Parky differ from those at the helm

meet you in the lib boys to collect your winnings ;-(
  • Options
    Missing but not Missed .....Parkinson.
    Missed for 18 long years ...Lennie.
    All is not lossed yet...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Missing but not Missed .....Parkinson.
    Missed for 18 long years ...Lennie.
    All is not lossed yet...

i was talking to my mate at Online last week N W
  • Options
    Tavern
    You have an online mate as well.Speak to him on Friday.