Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rights of the common man (or not)

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
As you probably remember we were blessed with lovely weather last weekend to the extent that I decided to take Mrs G to the seaside, Tankerton near Whitstable to be precise.

We had an enjoyable afternoon relaxing until two men (think stereotypical Millwall fans and you will have a fair idea of the kind of people they were) in their late thirties early forties at a guess turned up with two large remote controlled cars. Initially it was quite fun watching these cars as they were capable of attaining a fair lick and these guys were skilled at manouvering them. However they were extremely noisy and after half an hour it became irritating.

My question to any actual or barrack room lawyers on here is would I have been within my rights to ask these "gentlemen" to stop as I seriously considered doing?

In the end we decided to walk elsewhere and in fact ended up cutting short our visit but should we have had to do that?

The noise was such that children of 10 or under who walked past, almost without exception, covered their ears as did quite a few others. Furthermore it sounded loud from half a mile away or more. I base that estimate on a sign stating that toilets and a cafe were 600 metres away and I know that we walked at least two hundred metres probably more before we reached the sign.

In the North East a man was battered to death recently when he asked a group of men to desist from making a noise outside his house late at night. A Senior Police Officer or it may have been his local Labour MP said that he was to blame for his own death and thus the family were not entitled to compensation because he "brought it on himself" by confronting the men. One reason I decided not to intervene was that I felt the authorities would probably turn on me if events escalated. I found it annoying but it was even more annoying to see these poor children having to cover their ears while these two louts seemingly obliviously continued polluting the atmosphere with their noise.

Comments

• Options
    people= c***s until proven otherwise FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]people= c***s until proven otherwise FACT
    Amen
  • Options

Me, and my 2 younger brothers, have this theory!! It goes like this!!

'Other People, are c***ts.'

Basically anything annoying that happens, like anywhere, is always caused by 'Other People', ie other peoples tv's (ie next door), thats the most annoying thing, all you can hear is a muffled voice which is irritating enough, but yopu delve deeper, that muffled voice is infact an 'other persons' voice!! Double annoying!! Good theory tho eh!!

Its such a shame there are people like that, who have no respect, in our block there these noisy sods next door but on the top (mine is bottom of 3) so really shouldn't be able to hear them, but at least once every couple of weeks they stay up singing tottenham songs, shouting screaming and acting like arseholes until 4 in the morning, but we cant quite assertain who these fuckers are, cos obviously communal door and shit you just don't know exactly who goes to what flat, but we have our suspitions!! Last England game they were at it, but this time the loud bloke (its a couple you see, about 25-28 years old praps) hung out the window and shouted to his muggo mate the number of his flat, number 43!! Now i am all for taking a few pals up there and beating the granny out of the useless turds, but my mrs frowns upon that sort of behaviour!! Before, when it was just me n mrs, it just about bare-able, but one day they will wake Daisy, thats when Mrs MCS will go up there and carve them up!! Just why they have to be so loud is beyond me, but i suspect they are a bit nutty, the bloke looks handy anyway, and i have seen him and some his herbert mates stood outside the Standard pub in Nuxley Village, moody boozer that, and where i suspect they all come back from at midnight.

What to do eh, some people just don't got no respect!!
  • Options
    Why do kids listening to shit music on their mobile phones and then not pipe it directly into their little brains via the miracle invention known as headphones. I'm always astonished when I see a pack of the little chavlets huddled around some squeaking, tinny little speaker that would have been an unacceptable sound quality 30 years ago. They should bring back the birch.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What's your problem, you should be more accepting of other peoples hobbies/interests. Is the only reason you were annoyed because these men were "sterotypical Millwall fans"?

Would you have been so annoyed if they had been Muslims, Black or Irish people making a noise doing something they enjoy?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]What's your problem, you should be more accepting of other peoples hobbies/interests. Is the only reason you were annoyed because these men were "sterotypical Millwall fans"?

Would you have been so annoyed if they had been Muslims, Black or Irish people making a noise doing something they enjoy?

Yes!

I was not alone in my annoyance as I tried to convey above. Two people ruined the ambience for thousands for a radius of half a mile or more.

That is a fact whether they are white, black or purple with green spots!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mmmm I wonder!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Mmmm I wonder!

You've made my day implying I'm a loony left PC nut!

Henry and others I'm one of you!:-)
  • Options
    Sorry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]

Me, and my 2 younger brothers, have this theory!! It goes like this!!

'Other People, are c***ts.'

Basically anything annoying that happens, like anywhere, is always caused by 'Other People', ie other peoples tv's (ie next door), thatsthemost annoying thing, all you can hear is a muffled voice which is irritating enough, but yopu delve deeper, that muffled voice is infact an 'other persons' voice!! Double annoying!! Good theory tho eh!!

Its such a shame there are people like that, who have no respect, in our block there these noisy sods next door but on the top (mine is bottom of 3) so really shouldn't be able to hear them, but at least once every couple of weeks they stay up singing tottenham songs, shouting screaming and acting like arseholes until 4 in the morning, but we cant quite assertain who these fuckers are, cos obviously communal door and shit you just don't know exactly who goes to what flat, but we have our suspitions!! Last England game they were at it, but this time the loud bloke (its a couple you see, about 25-28 years old praps) hung out the window and shouted to his muggo mate the number of his flat, number 43!! Now i am all for taking a few pals up there and beating the granny out of the useless turds, but my mrs frowns upon that sort of behaviour!! Before, when it was just me n mrs, it just about bare-able, but one day they will wake Daisy, thats when Mrs MCS will go up there and carve them up!! Just why they have to be so loud is beyond me, but i suspect they are a bit nutty, the bloke looks handy anyway, and i have seen him and some his herbert mates stood outside the Standard pub in Nuxley Village, moody boozer that, and where i suspect they all come back from at midnight.

What to do eh, some people just don't got no respect!!

take 1 turd.
    1 box.
    1 sheet wrapping paper.
    1 postage stamp.
    and use your imagination.

and repeat.

may not solve the late night noise, but the knowledge of their pending early morning deliveries from the postie should help you sleep.
  • Options
    PBS,
    lovely idea,but,if,as we do,live in a converted house-to-flats,and they don't answer the door, then "postie" rings our doorbell...............
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]Mmmm I wonder!

You've made my day implying I'm a loony left PC nut!

Henry and others I'm one of you!:-)

Len has come out of the closet and admitted to all, He's one of them! good on ya Len ; )
  • Options
    DFT mate Lens one of us mate not one of them !
  • Options
    Blimey.
    never knew (Sir)Henry was/is left-wing...
    Good on yer HI !!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]DFT mate Lens one of us mate not one of them ![/quote]

I did say sorry...sorry again Len
  • Options
    It's possible they were committing a "statutory nuisance" Len. In theory they could have been served with a notice informing them of this and requested to stop. Failing to stop the nuisance would trigger enforcement action, including seizure of the cars and prosecution for breach of the notice together with forfeiture of the their little toys. That's the theory anyway...
  • Options
    Anyway, back to the plot. I reckon they're probably breaking a number of Council Bye-Laws, Len, by causing a nuisance on Council-owned land and also a noise pollution hazard effecting a large number of people. It would be worth writing to the Council explaining the problem and saying that you'r day was spoilt and you're unlikely to return etc. (Chief Exec's office/ Parks Dept/ Env. Health: noise team, are the people). If you don't hear anything for a couple of weeks write to the local newspaper saying the Council haven't bothered to write to you on this problem and it's a disgrace etc. Might make you feel a bit better at least!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Anyway, back to the plot. I reckon they're probably breaking a number of Council Bye-Laws, Len, by causing a nuisance on Council-owned land and also a noise pollution hazard effecting a large number of people. It would be worth writing to the Council explaining the problem and saying that you'r day was spoilt and you're unlikely to return etc. (Chief Exec's office/ Parks Dept/ Env. Health: noise team, are the people). If you don't hear anything for a couple of weeks write to the local newspaper saying the Council haven't bothered to write to you on this problem and it's a disgrace etc. Might make you feel a bit better at least!

Basically saying in words what I'd like to.
    Don't let it go Len, push these points and hopefully many,many others will follow............
  • Options
    FFS it's a public space. I used to race my remote controlled cars up and down my road but it's a cul de sac and they were electric. If someone's using petrol cars in a public space not only is it noise pollution but a health and safety nightmare. One of them hits a kid or dog and it's pretty dangerous.

The question should be nothing to do with Len Glover but whether these selfish c***ts have no respect or awareness of other peoples safety and enjoyment of the environment. It's bloody Tankerton not South East London there's huge ammounts of countryside where they could drive their fat arses to. There's even a massive burnt out pub on the A2 with a mottled mildly overgrown car park not far from Faversham.

In answer to your question Len it's common sense isn't it. If they're approachable people then have a friendly chat. Otherwise move on. There's been some occasions I've wanted to say something but it's only worth it if the environment is more collegial and it don't always work. As for the paper talk i'd take it as a pinch of salt, the CPS, police and Judges can go loopy sometimes but generally it's the papers. Usually they neglect to add that the man was agressive or confrontational, rarely do papers attempt to paint the correct context past a simple headline.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My Dad lives in Tankerton, right on the front next to the Marine Hotel, I'm glad he and my Mum were away last weekend as although he is 75, he would have gone over and told them to stop after a while. Goodness knows what would have happened.