Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A question for the men about women and football.

If it were possible, would you make football a men only event?
I'd also like to know the reasons for your answers as well if possible please.
Totally honest answers are fine, even if your views are considered sexist or non PC, I'd still like to know.

Comments

• Options
    No, I know loads of women who love their football and could talk me under the table regards tactics and team selections, etc.
  • Options
    I quite like women to be there.
    If you don't, it's quite easy to make your own experience 'males only' but I've always found that having a few women around usually moderates any totally stupid behaviour.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No but I dont like the tokenism of female commentators/ presenters/ lines....referree's assistant (wtf is that about) and believe it should be on merit.

Someone like Gabby Yorath knows her stuff clearly and has obviously grown up with football before it became trendy but some of the choices made dont appear to be on merit and are just cringeful the ridiculous commentator on MOTD as an example. Seriously was she the best available or was she given the gig because of her sex?
  • Options
    1. I see no reason why women should not be fans and attend games,like "blokes" some are totally uniformed and others know more than most of us.
    2. Womens Football is a sport which should be looked upon as a sport in its own right not as a poor fersion of the mens game. I have seen a couple of internationals and watched a few of our womens games and thoroughly enjoyed them. I would love to see MOTD (Sunday) or Sky have a section on the womens game weekly even 10 minutes.
    3. Officials should be judged on their own merits and as the abuse of referees continues - Respect campaign what a load of bollocks, we willneed officials from both agendas. I do however think that combatting the macho males along the way to senioor officialdom, does have the potential for holding back women in this area.
  • Options
    I think your question itself is sexist and very none PC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]If it were possible, would you make football a men only event?
    I'd also like to know the reasons for your answers as well if possible please.
    Totally honest answers are fine, even if your views are considered sexist or non PC, I'd still like to know.

No.

My daughter plays and enjoys football and having watched quite a few games and tournaments I only wish that the enthusiasm and respect for the officials that prevails was more common in the mens' game-at all levels.
  • Options
    And can we ask why you are asking these questions?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]And can we ask why you are asking these questions?

Possible hormonal treatment and sex change in the offing?

:-)
  • Options
    In life, men and women are just opposite sides of the same coin.
    Why should football or anything else be any different .... ?
  • Options
    wrong forum to be asking these questiosn anyway. get better answers at the horse and groom (if it were still open). lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It has just occurred to me that SA may have been referring to watching football.

My answer is still no. As a small lad my grandmother often used to take me to The Valley. She was an integral part of the reason I still suffer this Club of ours and have inflicted the same burden on my brother and daughters!
  • Options
    I think its great my wife comes. She drives me home after a decent session every week.
  • Options
    I'm all for women being at football but............... Please dont write Charlton totty on the back of your shirt
  • Options
    And we need them to serve the drinks
  • Options
    i think the horse and groom may be re opening.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cheers guys. There's nothing sinister on the agenda as I've blacked those bits out. I'd basically been pondering ways to increase our ST numbers, especially with women in mind. I've been somewhat surprised at the reaction I sometimes get from other women when they discover that I'm football mad. I think there are lingering perceptions that football is for men, especially of the knucklehead variety, and women are not welcomed. However, I will now be able to tell them that they are very much needed as chauffeurs and bar maids. That'll do it!
  • Options
    I brought my then girl-friend (later Mrs M) along to the Valley for our second date (first was Purley Orchid) to see us play Sheffield United in 1969. We arrived late (motorbike problems) just in time to see Charlie Wright in his inimitable style, let a shot from Currie or Woodward roll between his legs for the opening goal. At that time she knew nothing about the game but she knew entertainment when she saw it! We won the game and she was hooked: it was also a Tuesday night game and the Valley had an atmosphere of it's own under the floodlights in those days. Anyway she enjoyed it and became a supporter. I'm sure many women have pre-conceived ideas about soccer and about it being a male domain which is unfortunate but I think things are changing as more Family Areas are established at grounds and daughters are encouraged to attend as well as sons. More publicity and coverage of Women's soccer would also help understanding of the game and let people know that it isn't just a male dominated preserve. By the way, the 'bike broke down again on the way back and we ended up being given a lift (with 'bike) in a police van. I knew how to give a girl a good time in those days!
  • Options
    I met my wife at Charlton, so in answer to your question, i'm not sure !

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I met my wife at Charlton, so in answer to your question, i'm not sure !

Me too!
  • Options
    So we could have one block devoted to single hopefuls, a new business project called match makers could become an ST selling point. But this would then presumably require two separated divorced sections so they can all shout at each other. It would though help to make a lot more noise at the Valley. Now pondering which blocks would be suitable............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    May I also add that my husband has suggested seats in the Jimmy Seed stand for those who are playing away?
  • Options
    I love women!
  • Options
    I met me future husband Steve (NSU) via this site / Charlton so there is a good reason! :o)

Uncle - Even I cringe at the sight of the girls that have "Charlton Totty" on their shirts!!!! LOL

I have been going to Charlton since I was 7 (30 next week) so I think I know a fair bit about football. What I don't like are the women who turn up to games and insist in sitting there chatting about shopping and having their nails done and take no notice of the game - They are normally sitting in earshot of me! and tend to give the rest of the female popultion that love the game a bad name!

:o)
  • Options
    The more women the merrier, I think the days of football being a male only pass time is long gone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]I think its great my wife comes
    You must tell me your secret.
  • Options
    Missus is a big Stoke fan after going with her old man as a kid. The last coupla years have been a struggle in Footballing terms, especially after we beat them 2 zip when we last played.

We both go to Football on a Saturday, so it works quite well. Very well in fact!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MariaCAFC[/cite]

I have been going to Charlton since I was 7 (30 next week) so I think I know a fair bit about football.

Evidence alone you know nothing! As little as the rest of us anyway!

• Options
    I have no problem as long as they are knowledgable about the sport or not sitting near me ;-)

Taking my GF this year was huge mistake answering questions of why cant they have 4 goals to make it more exciting is not an enjoyable afternoon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MariaCAFC[/cite]

I have been going to Charlton since I was 7 (30 next week) so I think I know a fair bit about football.

Evidence alone you know nothing! As little as the rest of us anyway!

LOL - I make you right! ;o)
  • Options
    A friend of that 'chartlon totty' bird should really have a word. Mind you, if she thinks she is, all power to her. Shes braver than me! Women at football is cool, so long as thats why they are there. If you want a different type of 'score', go to a dating agency please!