Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alonso - Brown will drive top footballers away

From todays saily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/5578084/Xabi-Alonso-warns-that-tax-will-drive-top-players-away.html

Comments

• edited June 2009
    bye then ya greedy bastards. as if earning what u earn is not enough or trying to use it as an excuse to leave
  • From the atricle it is the 10% extra tax and the 30% depreciation in sterling too
  • Don't think there's much he can do. If he gave footballers a lower tax rate than real people, he'd be rightly ripped to shreds. That's what they do in Spain (hence Alonso getting involved), and it's a complete disgrace IMO
  • "Arsene Wenger, the Arsenal manager, predicted back in April that "the domination of the Premier League will go" because of the government's tax policy"

Am I sorry?

Heaven forbid, we may have to concentrate on home grown talent and the TV money may have to be spread about a bit more.

If footballers are paid net of tax (as happens elsewhere in Europe) and the clubs have to pick up the tax bill, it'll be supporters who have to cough up. Maybe they'll be willing to do that, but I don't think there'll be a lot of sympathy for the prima donnas.
  • I hope every single one fucks off. If they can get more money then let's see it. Considering probably only Real Madrid and Barcelona are willing to spend bigger wages on players whilst clubs like Blackburn easily meet wage demands from players at Bayern Munich; I don't think there's much any player can do. A very good but not exceptional Xabi Alonso should fuck off and see if he can get Real madrid.

It makes me sick when a footballer moans about taxes. The vast majority come from shithouse families like Stev Gerrard's, who bleed the state for more than they pay in by taxes, but as soon as they earn taxes are unfair. Virtually none of them earn a wage that is commensurate to their actual value in terms of productivity, maybe beckham does on the back of the commercial benefits he brings. If they want to operate in an economic market then fuck off and negotiate a better wage. A reduction in foreign footballers can only be a good thing.
  • Alonso is right there should be a differential in tax rates between Premier League footballers and the rest of society, maybe an extra 10% would be ploughed back into education of impressionable young children (primarily boys) who see their heroes swearing and spitting and cheating and feel it is right to emulate them.
  • The money sickness that football currently suffers is perfectly demonstrated by this ridiculous issue. Too much of our money is slushing around in premiership football enabling morons like Joey Barton to earn 650k over 4 years for image rights ffs. Is he alone in this ? I suspect most prem footballers also draw silly sums for image rights that can never be financially justified by the clubs. In the end football will implode on the back of huge debt driven by greed and I for one won`t shed a tear.
  • imo, football will implode in this country because there is too much money floating around, not too little. this is like when ballack complained about house prices in london. knobs.

and as i wrote this i see i might have well copied shootershill...
  • Anyone know what Airman Brown has done to upset Alonso ?
  • Don't care and especially don't care what Wenger says. Glad to see the other comments on this thread roughly echo my sentiments.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blimey, the poor things.

*sobs*
  • So suddenly playing "for the club I have dreamed about since I was a boy" isn't so important any more.

The arrogance and lack of understanding of the real world shown by these clowns is sickening.
  • Good the quicker they go the better. I can still remember when all football was exciting and success was not only available to those that could afford it.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Anyone know what Airman Brown has done to upset Alonso ?

He'd be even more upset if heard my tax policy.
  • NugNug
    edited June 2009
    I think for a few years now people have talked about the football bubble bursting. I am by know means a financial expert, far from it, but it does seems to me that a global recession, added to our governments higher rate tax policy, the Premier League's reliance on a Pay-TV service, that many people are giving up, is going to put football under immense pressure. I have no sympathy with the players or the clubs, it's pure greed. For this reason I wouldn't want some rich arab or american coming in and buying the soul from our club, admittedly we are rock bottom in all aspects at the moment, but I'd like to get back to being a competitive well-run club that respects it's fans, and let's see where that takes us.
  • Don't hold back Colin, say what you think. : - )

So it goes. The money available attracted the players to Italy in the 80s and when that ran out and the Sky money appeared players started to come here in big numbers.

It was ever so. Players left Scotland for English money even before professionalism was introduced.

Outside of the clubs involved few tears will be shed and if it makes the European Cup and the Premier league more competitive then all well and good.
  • edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Anyone know what Airman Brown has done to upset Alonso ?

He'd be even more upset if heard my tax policy.

I think you idea of making SE7 a tax haven has some merit but can't see it being a vote winner.
  • I found that article quite illuminating.

1) Should players with English clubs be paid in Sterling or Euros (or the currency of their origin)
    2) Should that be gross or net eg we supporters and other financial contributors pay more if tax rates increase (we find more from our reduced income).
    3) Spain has different rules (level playing field in Europe)
    4) Are we assuming Mr Alonso doesnt spend his hard earned money in the UK in which case it doesnt really matter on the exchange rate
    5) I think season tickets prices should be adjusted so that if we suffer personal tax increases the club reduces the price for us.

How bloody ridiculous.
  • I think from reading the article the main thing is the exchange rate rather than the tax.

They must have crap financial advice as they could have protected themselves against currency movements
  • They could have put it all into European Stock markets who gloated in the fourth quarter of last year that the economic downturn was nowt to do with them. If you protect yourself against movements in exchange rates then it costs money to either buy that derivative or plan and pay for that rather intelligent advice.

Contrary to the dissapearance of Eric Hall I suspect the foolishness and crackpot advisors that footballers attract rarely are that sharp in the markets. And if they were very few experts were able to avoid significant recent investment problems. Most footballers if they have the brain to open their own financial mail might be a little surprised at their losses. When you read about the genius investments that US stars like Raghib Ramadian "Rocket" Ismail made, I think we might be entering into a period of quite remarkable stories from UK based players.