Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Warren Feeney

edited June 2009 in Rumours
Glasgow giants Rangers have been linked with the striker, but more recently Huddersfield and Norwich have thrown their hat in the ring along with Charlton, who are all looking for proven goalscorers like Feeney at League One level.
Sky Sports

Don't really know much about him. One of those names I've heard of but thats it, a few years back would never have thought we'd be looking at him one day.

We could do with someone that is almost guaranteed to score 20+ goals in League One with a decent team around him. Is he that kind of player?

Comments

• No idea about him tbh. Very frustrating time because should a takeover occur and a little more money than we currently have becomes available then the batch of players we are "in for" might well change. How on earth do you plan for a season under those circumstances if you are manager...if we had one ! or perhaps we do ?
  • Not really proven goalscorer at any level league 1 to international, never been prolific at any club and only scored about 8 in 70 for luton between 2005-07
    our own strikers will score goals more regularly, especially Dickson who if a regular he should be 20 goals a season and Fleetwood/McLeod may be pushing for first team
  • Saw him a lot during his Bournemouth days. Played alongside a big old lump up front back then. Comfortable on the ball, decent distribution and finisher but not much pace and must be getting on a bit now. Wouldn't have thought he'd be our 20+ striker TBH
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Not really proven goalscorer at any level league 1 to international, never been prolific at any club and only scored about 8 in 70 for luton between 2005-07
    our own strikers will score goals more regularly, especially Dickson who if a regular he should be 20 goals a season and Fleetwood/McLeod may be pushing for first team

Ok fair enough Feeney doesn't have a proven record, but there's no way anyone can say Dickson will definitely score 20 goals a season.

Fleetwood and McLeod have a chance of playing if we don't bring any strikers in.

None of them are any more proven though. Dickson struggled for Crewe then did well in 3 months (thats it, really not that long) for Gillingham. We had fans on here, and other sites saying put Dickson in, he WILL score goals. He played but he couldn't score.

As for Fleetwood, he's not even as proven as Dickson. McLeod scored goals in League Two, but if he was that good, he wouldn't have been dropped from the Millwall team in the first place and therefore would have played regularly for them.

Feeney might not be the answer, but I don't have much confidence in Dickson, Fleetwood and McLeod yet. They could all get a few goals, but I wouldn't certain that any of them are capable of it over a whole season.
  • http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=17127

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Feeney
  • having scored 11 in 14 for gills i think Dickson would score planty for us, when he played in the championship he still did ok and was unlucky not to score (especially against Plymouth), also he was unfairly dropped after a substandard performance against doncaster when he played up front on his own (not his game) and never got another sniff at the first team, not saying if he played more he would have got goals in the championship but was more of a threat than other strikers we have

agree not convinced that Fleetwood or Mcleod will score lots but hopefully in a side playing well that creates chances they should score goals and they have more pace and mobility than burton, McLeod scored bundles for the Dons and the step up from League 2 to 1 is not that large, he did also scored a couple for Millwall i seem to remember. Fleetwood who knows?

Burton got a hat trick against Gary Doherty which does not hide his awful record before that for us and Wednesday, will he score many? i doubt it
    Gray will go and can we afford anyone decent?
  • If we're talking about stats Burton's League One record is ok (assuming wikipedia is accurate, his record won't be far off anyway), 10 in 42 for Brentford and 12 in 24 for Rotherham. He's not a goalscorer, but I'd play him or Gray alongside Dickson with the players we've got at the moment.

Dickson's record isn't that good, it's actually 7 league goals in 12 games (fair enough 3 as sub). The other four goals were in the Johnstone Paint Trophy.

Burton has a part to play and yes he doesn't have real pace, but he's far from slow either. Far more intelligent than Dickson, McLeod of Fleetwood and I'd imagine they'd all work better alongside Burton than each other.

We've got to get back to playing with a proper partnership up front. Dickson looked at his best with Kandol holding up the ball and flicking it on. Burton can do a similar job.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite] Dickson's record isn't that good, it's actually 7 league goals in 12 games (fair enough 3 as sub). The other four goals were in the Johnstone Paint Trophy.

At what level of football is 7 goals in 12 games not deemed to be a good record?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Dickson's record isn't that good, it's actually 7 league goals in 12 games (fair enough 3 as sub). The other four goals were in the Johnstone Paint Trophy.

At what level of football is 7 goals in 12 games not deemed to be a good record?

By last season's Charlton management team .... ?

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Dickson's record isn't that good, it's actually 7 league goals in 12 games (fair enough 3 as sub). The other four goals were in the Johnstone Paint Trophy.

Of course it is, sorry didn't make it clear I meant his record in league games. It's not as good as 11 in 14 which is often stated.
  • Taken from a BBC article recently about the best football chants:

"We love our Itsy Bitsy, Teeny Weeny,
    Baldy Headed Warren Feeney."

Northern Ireland fans, to the tune of Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.
  • to the tune of Yellow Polka Dot Bikini.[/quote]

would never have guessed..

:)
  • scored a few goals for NI as well decent player.
  • someone else who's stole a march on us then!
  • We've made an approach for him according to Parky in the SLP.

In for Feeney?
  • Really hope we don't sign him, I think he is very poor
  • doesn't set the heart racing even if he's scored a lot of goals in league 2
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]doesn't set the heart racing even if he's scored a lot of goals in league 2[/quote] Not sure we are going to be linked to any one who sets our hearts racing this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]doesn't set the heart racing even if he's scored a lot of goals in league 2
    Not sure we are going to be linked to any one who sets our hearts racing this year.

I agree but you know what I mean.
  • 2 full internationals in the squad!!

It's like being in the prem again
  • no better than what we have got so no thanks
  • Feeney and Kandol up front?

No (recent) mention big Tresor of here. I reckon he could be one who has been told to 'wait until takeover'.
  • Not a bad player, I've seen him a few times playing for Dundee Utd, scored a great goal against the tims...celebration was nice!
  • We're guarenteed to sign him now then!
  • Not sure on this one. He's not prolific in my view and I was really dissapointed when Rangers were linked with him. He has a great work ethic though and tries for the full game regardless of the result. Scored against both Us and Celtic last season though so he doesn't get any big game nerves!
  • Feeney has been made available for loan by Cardiff. Worth a punt?
  • Very injury prone and doesn't score a great deal of goals. And as it says further up he failed a medical at Leeds.