Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lets get it straight, once and for all

2»

Comments

• perhaps some of you shouldn't go to these secret "meetings" then.

I havn't heard Mr murray saying Parky was going - anything you though you heard was probably off record and his own thoughts..........he is not now the big cheese remember !
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]So how many of the other 91 clubs who have the same manager as at the end of last season have had to announce confirmation that incumbent was still in place?

yes but our situation is muddied by the fact he was still on an assistant managers contract and only appointed as Manager until the end of the season.

I’ve heard lots of people say this but I can’t get my head around it. He was on an assistants contract, he was assistant to Pardew. Pardew isn’t there anymore and no one has been appointed in his stead, therefore Parkinson can’t be an “assistant” manager simply because there is no one for him to be assistant to ! Or have I got it all wrong ?

He's a paid member of the staff, under contract.

He can be just 'caretaking', in the absence of a permanent Manager appointment for either someone new or even himself.

So he’s caretaker manager then ? That’s a big difference from assistant manager. Caretaker implies temporary. As far as I remember the board announced Parky was permanent in January as he was the best person to take us forward or something. All this talk about contracts is over complicating the situation. Clearly he is still manager. Clearly that wont change unless the unlikely (and I’m starting to think imaginary) take over occurs. Clearly we’re f****ed !!!
  • Thought i would never say this, but i just don't believe anything that comes out of the club at present. We have heard certain scenarios re Parkinson since last december and the story keeps changing, but nothing is happening either way.

The uncertainty of it all is now becoming scary, when IMO this should have been sorted the week after the Norwich game.
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Thought i would never say this, but i just don't believe anything that comes out of the club at present.......

But that's exactly the point .....nothing is coming out of the club.
    Nothing official, anyway.
  • edited June 2009
    I've got no more idea on the current situation than anyone else (other than perhaps the board!) but this was the report on the OS about his appointment.

Parky
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]Parkinson is our manager and has a contract until next June.

He may have signed this contract when he was an "assistant" but seeing that his then "boss" was sacked he is now the boss.

The club put him in charge in Janauary and never said it was until the end of the season .........if, so, please find the relevant "quote" saying so.

Otherwise, lets just get on iwth the fact that Phil Parkinson is our manager, like it or not.

Doesn't look as though we have "got it straight once and for all" - seems that the only way that us idiot Charlton fans will get it straight is if the Board humour us thickos and give us an inkling of what is going on ..........
  • [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]why does it need a statement from the club ??

As Brunello posted earlier, no other club has needed to come out and say that their manager is still the manager, why would they ??

But how amny other cliubs had their manager say that he wasn't sure if he would still be there next season? I'm pretty sure that I read at least one interview from PP where he made comments to that effect.

If the mananger is making that sort of comment then there is bound to be speculation and while I accept that the club may not have caused the speculation, they certinly haven't done anything to stop it.
  • [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]I've got no more idea on the current situation than anyone else (other than perhaps the board!) but this was the report on the OS about his appointment.

Parky

"Parkinson, who has been overseeing first-team matters on a caretaker basis, has now been confirmed as the club's permanent new manager."

Pretty clear isn't it ? Where has all this stuff about what his contract says come from ?
  • Parky's contract did not change, just his job title.
  • Confirmed as The Clubs permanent New Manager but still on his old Assistant Managers Contract.

Simple really.
  • Sponsored links:

• So his contract terms remained the same (i.e. length and salary) but he became permanent manager as opposed to assistant. Therefore he’s still permanent manager and all this talk of his position reverting back to an assistant after the Norwich game is not true.
  • Could this whole affair be handled any more badly?

If they wanted to piss off any of those remaining who had kept the faith they are going the right way about it.

At the moment, we are really are a bad joke of a club.
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]I've got no more idea on the current situation than anyone else (other than perhaps the board!) but this was the report on the OS about his appointment.

Parky

"Parkinson, who has been overseeing first-team matters on a caretaker basis, has now been confirmed as the club's permanent new manager."

Pretty clear isn't it ? Where has all this stuff about what his contract says come from ?

but when you are told that he is getting the old heave-ho from the Chairman then you tend to believe it. At least I did.
  • [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Could this whole affair be handled any more badly?

If they wanted to piss off any of those remaining who had kept the faith they are going the right way about it.

At the moment, we are really are a bad joke of a club.

I really can't see how.

I've long since given up on the idea that the club know what they are doing!
  • I am grateful for the posted link, I accept that I for one was mistaken and that Charlton Athletic have a permanent manager for the length of his current contract. It is very depressing reading the whole article, and in my view there have been, and remain, ambiguities, especially Parkinson expressing doubts about his position himself.
    So back to examining Parkinson's record of achievement.
    Well that didn't take me long.
    Parkinson strikes me as a manager who will bemoan his fate, and think the answer to his prayers is for the club to make signings (his series of loan signings strengthens my view on this). So what will Parkinson actually do to get more success from the players he has, how will he make them and the team better during training and the like? Lennie said on that TV programme many years ago, that a players view of a manager is 'can he make me a better player?' Well can Parkinson effect any changes in our players? I haven't seen much evidence of that, moving Bailey wider when ZZ and Shelvey got into the side with Racon was in my view an accidental and inevitable improvement, Sollys debut was a needs must situation...if Parkinson can coach then he has about seven weeks to prove it to me, otherwise I fully expect to hear 'Parkinson Out' ringing round the Valley from the first game, how much time does he need for gawdssake?
  • edited June 2009
    I just think somethings smells bad about all of this, perhaps someone clinging on for better money perhaps to the detriment of the club? Varney left the club way back perhaps he was concerned about the new 'management'?

One thing I do know is that we have to hold firm, bottom line is it is we the supporters who are permanent - owners, players, even grounds can change.
  • One of the most depressing things about that article is that at the time the teams in the mire with us were Forrest and Watford. They decided to twist (bringing in Davies and Rodgers respectively) and we stuck. We are in League One, they are in the Championship.
  • the fact that this thread exists (and all the others like it) and contains all the views that it does, shows that the club should have come out and said what was going on.
  • In all honesty how much longer can this situation continue ? Of course we are impatient for news because the bottom line is that we care. It is why we are on this forum. There are several posters on here with genuine contacts at the football club and over the last two days each and every one of them are have made comments that they too feel the silence is no longer acceptable and the club need to start speaking to its supporters and staff. I hope I am not doing those mentioned with contacts any injustice in saying this because when the CL big hitters start to sound concerned and angry I am more worried than ever.
  • Let's go down there and kick the doors in. Who's in?
  • Sponsored links:

• I wasn't overly bothered about the uncertainty before today, as I was trusting that there was a lot going on behind the scenes.

The start of pre-season training, though, marks a watershed and things don't seem any clearer.

I've just looked up Parky's quotes from after the Norwich game:

"We've put together a pre-season but I can't stress that the next six to eight weeks will make or break next season,” he said. "The season doesn't start in August, it starts now. You can be the best coach in the world but it's all about recruiting the players and that has got to start straight away."

Perhaps Parky and the players who are still going to be here come August are in the know about what's happening. If they're not, then it doesn't exactly look hopeful for the 'hit the ground running' start that we need.
  • Good post AllLeftFoot.
    That quote rings very loudly in the ensuing silence!

[cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]You can be the best coach in the world (sic)but it's all about recruiting the players and that has got to start straight away."

What's the saying - give 'em enough rope?
  • Even the rumours have now stopped.