Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kinsella v Campbell

edited June 2009 in General Charlton
For us oldies...who's the best?

Alan Campbell, stylish central midfielder. Accurate passer, small but could dribble past a player if he wanted to. Hub of the team. Scottish u/21 when the Scots were as good as England. Eventually sold for a tidy sum to Brum.
Versus Kins. Soul of the club, a bit slow but read the game great and was a tenacious tackler, rarely missed a pass and drove the team on. Full paddy international.

For me Kinsella, just.

Comments

• I very clearly remember Alan Campbell, great player with more ball skills than Kins, but Kins was the better player all round....a fantastic leader, the usual 100%er, lots of nous....the absolute heartbeat of our team partnering players such as Keith Jones, Claus Jensen, Scott Parker...of the 'modern' era a must for an all time team along with the peerless Richard Rufus.
    Can anybody forget the lovely not offside finger wag to the lino in that mancity game? It's moments like that Kins lives in the memory.
    I remember the Alan Campbell Northampton Town goal which would probably make any supporters top twenty (if they had been around to see it!).
  • Yes Kins for me too if for no other reason than what he achieved in an Addicks shirt...AC wasn't around that long for us....as is nearly 'always' the case when we have a quality player.....but he was absolute top quality in that oh so brief spell.
  • Both greats of their own time,would have made a great partnership
  • Kinsella for me, everything you could want in one package.
  • I remember a Campbell but he played for Northern Ireland, and in no way was comparable in impact to Kinsella. Was mercurial to Kins totally dominant player on the pitch.
  • Kinsella was the most effective and inspirational but Campbell had more style and class.

If I had to pick one or the other it would be Kins.
  • Kins by a whisker for his leadership and motivational skills.
  • Alan Campbell was Scotish.

KIns played at a higher level, both for us and as an International. Campbell a very good player------Kins a legend.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I remember a Campbell but he played for Northern Ireland, and in no way was comparable in impact to Kinsella. Was mercurial to Kins totally dominant player on the pitch.

Different Alan Campbell.

Too young to really appreciate the 60s AC but saw him play in that late 60's side.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]I remember a Campbell but he played for Northern Ireland, and in no way was comparable in impact to Kinsella. Was mercurial to Kins totally dominant player on the pitch.

Different Alan Campbell.

Too young to really appreciate the 60s AC but saw him play in that late 60's side.

Colin is talking about the second David Campbell.
  • Sponsored links:

• make you right Len,

Now that Jock Campbell, he was good (so my dad says)
  • Alan Campbell was a good player but fell slightly short to be a good Division 1 player. I thought he looked at his best when Graham Moore was in the team. Campbell got all the glory, but Moore was a very good player indeed. As for Kins v Campbell, I would say Kins as he was a more rounded player and team leader.
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]Alan Campbell was a good player but fell slightly short to be a good Division 1 player. I thought he looked at his best when Graham Moore was in the team. Campbell got all the glory, but Moore was a very good player indeed. As for Kins v Campbell, I would say Kins as he was a more rounded player and team leader.

Although I wasn't that old I seem to remember Graham Moore to be in the Jan Molby mould (i.e. large turning circle but could put himself about and spray a long ball or two) whereas Alan Campbell was more of a skilful runner with the ball.
  • Alan Campbell played 212 games for Charlton scored 29 goals
    Mark Kinsella played 215 games for Charlton scored 23 goals
    That just puts Campbell in front only just mind.Alan Campbell played six seasons for Charlton, but what sticks in my mind is the goal he scored against Millwall in the late 60's: 1-0 win for Charlton. By 1970 he had been sold to Birmingham City for 70,000 Pounds, whereas when we bought Kinsella in 1996, it was for 150,000 Pounds. Both great players for Charlton but it has to be Campbell for me, probably because of my age.
  • Glad Alan got a vote from Lewis Coaches! I think this is a close call. Campbell used to have us purring with his silky skills.
  • But what of the teams they were playing in? Campbell looked good in a fairly average Div.2 team which, except for the remarkable '68/'69 season, struggled in the lower half of the division. Kinsella joined a team on the up and inspired it back to the Prem. in 2000/01. I don't think Campbell, much as I liked him, was the natural leader Kins became although he was probably the better ball player. A good question this, and I'll have to go with Kinsella, if only because after Kitson scored at Palace he ran to 'our stand' and, with fists clenched, shouted at my son 'You're the best'. A moment March Jr. still treasures!
  • You know I never realised AC played that many times for us....I thought it was only two or three seasons....how time plays funny games with ones memory!
  • Good alround player was Alan,long dark hair,and enjoyed a beer after the game.One of my friends might hate me for this so no names given but Alan ended up marrying my mates girlfriend.
  • Probably Kins, but Alan Campbell was my favourite player when I was a kid.
  • Two different types of midfielder which is hard to compare. Campbell was a better passer of the ball and scored goals but Kinsella probably a better "all action" type and of course captain. Both very good but hard to say who is better because of the above.