Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Legally downloading music

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
How does it work?
Do you pay a monthly fee and download what you like for free?
Or pay a subscription and still pay for the music?
Any recommended sites for the whole spectrum of musical tastes.

Comments

• Options
    itunes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]Any recommended sites for the whole spectrum of musical tastes.
    iTunes will give you nearly everything. You'll then just need to go to amazon or play.com to buy The Beatles' CDs and rip them.
  • Options
    In my experience the bit rate offered by iTunes is poor, and it's expensive.

Check out Emusic. There are a variety of monthly subscription packages - I pay £11.99 a month for 50 songs.
  • Options
    Why would you want to legally download music??

anyway I agree about itunes. Very Poor bitrate and expensive. Dont have any legal alteratives but I would never use itunes again.
  • Options
    Amazon is cheap and easy.
  • Options
    your local library's music section.

Burn baby burn (may well be one of the tracks you can find)
  • Options
    I'm a "knock-off Nigel" and proud!
  • Options
    If you ever wanted to illegally download Michael Jackson - now's the time to do it. Three thousand people downloading 'Off The Wall' on just one site last night. Whole album took 10 mins (apparently).
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments Gents,
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]In my experience the bit rate offered by iTunes is poor, and it's expensive.

Check out [url=http://www.emusic.com]Emusic[/url]. There are a variety of monthly subscription packages - I pay £11.99 a month for 50 songs.

I had a look on this site, I found a few albums that interested me but not enough to sign up.

[cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]your local library's music section.

Burn baby burn (may well be one of the tracks you can find)

I haven't been to a library for years, but I get your drift :)
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]If you ever wanted to illegally download Michael Jackson - now's the time to do it. Three thousand people downloading 'Off The Wall' on just one site last night. Whole album took 10 mins (apparently).

I wouldn't even know where to start, used LW once ended up with more virus's than a pox doctors waiting room :(
  • Options
    I had the same problem with LW so dumped it.

Some people like soulsearch even if it is a bit slow and search engine a bit hit and miss it does, so I'm told, have a very wide range of stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2009
    If you just want to listen to music from your pc and don`t need to download it for mp3 then try Spotify. It similar to Limewire but 100% legal to use with a search engine for tracks / artists but much much faster, almost instant. You can then save it to your playlist but are as I said not able to transfer it from there. Its like a radio station where you can listen to the tracks you want. Its free if you don`t mind an occasional advert or £9.99 for a slightly more sophisticated version. I use free version and its great. Really good for parties if you wire your pc through decent speakers because you can listen to virtually any track old or new on demand.
  • Options
    Spotify is very good for listening to stuff you might want to just hear or hear again.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Napster you get unlimited downloads for like £10? I think and there is a program you can use so if you do quit your membership you dont lose you music.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]If you ever wanted to illegally download Michael Jackson - now's the time to do it. Three thousand people downloading 'Off The Wall' on just one site last night. Whole album took 10 mins (apparently).
    Ten minutes is pretty f***ing brutal TBH. I can download an album in about half that time from a torrent site - even faster from some (ahem) 'non-public' invite only sites.

Paid-for digital music is dead. The music industry knows it - they're just trying to wring as much money out of the poor suckers for as long as they can before moving to '360' contracts where they control every aspect of an artisit's life - including touring, merchandising and image rights. The artist's recorded output will cost next to nothing within three years.
  • Options
    There's no need to go to sites like LM. Just google the artist and album you want along with the words mediafire, rapidshare and/or megaupload and you will find them all out there for free. Or so I am told.
  • Options
    there is a wider question about what we get for 'free' and what it will mean about the quality of the media we consume longer term.

Free local newspaper are already little more than adverts and press releases.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]Napster you get unlimited downloads for like £10? I think and there is a program you can use so if you do quit your membership you dont lose you music.

I have been a Napster subscriber for years - its a great service.

What i really like is you can play the tracks/albums in their entirity without having to pay for them or download them - rather than the ridiculous 30 second snippets you get with some services. I have my PC hooked up to my hi-fi & i can play pretty much any song i want in full at the drop of a hat. With the Napster-to-go subscription you download as many albums as you want onto your PC or your MP3 player* & off you go - the proviso is when you unsubscribe from the service the tunes are unplayable - however you can easily remove this restriction with 3rd party software should you wish.

It doesnt work with i-pods but i have a Creative Zen.
  • Options
    QUOTE: "there is a wider question about what we get for 'free' and what it will mean about the quality of the media we consume longer term.

Free local newspaper are already little more than adverts and press releases."

It will certainly change the medium forever, but whether for good or ill we shall see. Some said that live football on TV was going to destroy football. I guess the era of huge budget albums is at an end but for every Sgt Pepper there were a dozen overblown concept albums (Moody Blued anyone?) and producer-dominated dross almost killed the music in the 80s and early 90s, so no real loss there. Recorded music will become a loss leader to sell the performance I guess - the precise opposite of the pre-download position. Whatever, people with musical talent will continue to express themselves in ways that entertain the rest of us.
  • Options
    www.goldenmp3.ru is pretty good.

You charge up your account and the money stays on forever so there's no worry about wasting your cash if you don't download much for a month.
    it works out around 1 euro per album or 10 cents per track.

If they haven't got what you are after you can request it and in my experience they have found it within a few days for you to download.
    Once downloaded, you can add it to itunes for your ipod / iphone etc or just have it in the windows media player music library if you don't have a mac.
  • Options
    Legally???????????????????????????????????????///
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rapidshare is a top site. Unlike limewire you download rar files and isn't a p2p therefore no one will be able to upload from you while you are downloading stuff. (which is important for countries such as switzerland where only uploading is illegal.

A movie HD takes 45mins and Cd complete track plus cover 3mins thats with the lowest broadband/
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    Ten minutes is pretty f***ing brutal TBH. I can download an album in about half that time from a torrent site - even faster from some (ahem) 'non-public' invite only sites.

Paid-for digital music is dead. The music industry knows it - they're just trying to wring as much money out of the poor suckers for as long as they can before moving to '360' contracts where they control every aspect of an artisit's life - including touring, merchandising and image rights. The artist's recorded output will cost next to nothing within three years.
    Have you or anyone one else ITK got any tips on the best way to upload?

I've had sod all uploading for the last week despite seeding everything and my ratio has dropped down to around 0.15, eekkk!
  • Options
    Find something no'one else has uploaded and follow the tutorials on how to do it.
  • Options
    Yeah... why not upload :

Mervin Day 101 dieting tips
  • Options

Yeah.Nightmare.Waiting bloody ten minutes for something you've paid absolutely F*** all for.

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

Yeah.Nightmare.Waiting bloody ten minutes for something you've paid absolutely F*** all for.

;-)
    I wasn't moaning. Just making a point.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]

;-)
    I wasn't moaning. Just making a point.

Well, seems bloody good to me. It was only a couple of years ago that it sometimes took 3 or 4 hours.