Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Greatest Ever Englishmen?

edited June 2009 in Not Sports Related
I'm currently writing a book, the subject of which is the greatest ever Englishmen. So, naturally I am expecting a certain amount of disagreement. Why wasn't x included? What makes y so special? Did z really die in that slightly embarrassing, yet peculiarly apt way?

To help me fine tune the list of participants, can you please provide a list of your five (and five only) genuine, heartfelt "greatest" Englishmen. Use your own criteria, but please stick to five...

Comments

• Options
    Issac Newton
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Horatio Nelson
    Charles Darwin
    Winston Churchill

Andrew Wiles (?)
  • Options
    Horatio Nelson
    Issac Newton
    Charles Darwin
    Winston Churchill
    Henry Cavendish
  • Options
    nelson
    darwin
    newton
    cook
    faraday
  • Options
    King Edward III

King Henry V

Arthur Wellsley (The Duke of Wellington)

John Churchill (1st Duke of Marlborough)

Admiral Lord Nelson

1st reserve - Major General James Wolf

You can quess my criteria.... :-))
  • Options
    i think they have to be english though
  • Options
    King Harold
    Alfred The Great
    Nelson
    Edward II
  • Options
    I think Sir Francis Drake is also a good shout.
  • Options
    When you hear the sound of Drakes Drum England is about to be invaded-----must have been banging the thing lik a bastard over the last 3 years !
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Jenner

Boudica
    Eliz the First
  • Options
    Tim Berners - Lee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Born in Portsmouth, never knew that.
  • Options
    Barnes Wallace
    Chris Cockerall
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    Garry Nelson
    Denis Irwin
    Shaun Newton
    Lee Cook
    Robin Friday

I couldn't agree with some of those, I'm afraid ........

;o)
  • Options
    Clive Medonca
  • Options
    Derek Hales
  • Options
    Oliver Cromwell
  • Options
    Charlie Chaplin
  • Options
    Sam Bartram
  • Options
    Tommo

PS: You on a roll there, Tommo ....?
  • Options
    The Bard
    Wordsworth
    Milton
    Shelly
    Dickens
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Andy Murray
  • Options
    Captain James Cook
    Isambard Kingdom Brunel
    Charles Darwin
    William Hogarth
    William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Henry VIII – Despite his obvious failings, his influence turned England from a country on the fringes of Europe into a true world player – he was also instrumental in turning English into a major language (before it was not widely spoken – even in England)
    Churchill – Legendary leader, stood on his own against fascism for some time and was not intimidated. Owe him so much. Wish we had a politician of his ilk today.
    Shakespeare – Amazing writer, who to this day is still the most famous of all time. His plays are recited around the globe and no one has, or probably will, come close to his level of fame. His and contribution to the English language cannot be underestimated
    John Lennon – England has given so much in terms of contemporary music to the world it would be a shame not to put an artist in
    Ebenezer Cobb Morley – He drew up the rules of football – the sport which has become the common denominator for the vast majority of earth. No sport can come close in terms of popularity or participation and it’s appeal is growing all the time. At around the time the British empire was doing so much to divide the world, one of it’s lasting legacies is the one thing which truly brings the world together – sport. And this is the sport which leads them all. Whilst it’s hard to say any one person “invented” football, I think this guy would have a fair shout at being recognized on behalf of the greatest gift these shores have bestowed upon the world.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    david niven
    ranulph fiennes
    william wilberforce
    charles dickens
    max woosnam
    charles burgess fry
  • Options
    Wat Tyler, who marched through Dartford and Blackheath to London to face the King:

"In 1381 the effort to strictly enforce the collection of taxes created discontent throughout England. Wat Tyler's rebellion was ignited when a tax collector tried to make a determination that Wat Tyler's daughter was of taxable age (15) by stripping her naked and assaulting her. Tyler, who was working close by, heard the screams of his wife and daughter, came running and smashed in the tax collector's skull with a hammer. He was cheered by his neighbors and the commoners of the western division of Kent were brought together by his courage. Wat Tyler was elected their leader.

Wat Tyler's group joined another group led by two itinerant priests named John Ball and Jack Straw, and rose 100,000 strong to invade London. The enraged mob broke open every prison and beheaded every judge and lawyer they could capture. They were not allowed to enrich themselves in their rioting. Valuables found in their midst were destroyed. One man who hid a silver cup on his person was thrown into the river as punishment for his misdeed and as an example to others to refrain from such behavior.

They surrounded Richard II, who asked them what they wanted. Their answer was, "We will be free forever, our heirs and our lands." Richard II agreed.

In a face-to-face meeting with unarmed Wat Tyler a short time later, Richard II ordered the Lord Mayor of London to "set hands on him." Tyler was stabbed through the throat with a short sword and, as he lay writhing in agony on the ground after falling off his horse, stabbed through the belly. "
  • Options
    churchill / henry v / nelson / Harold ( not steptoe ) / wren /
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: tommo[/cite]Oliver Cromwell[/quote]

I second this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Henry VIII – Despite his obvious failings, his influence turned England from a country on the fringes of Europe into a true world player – he was also instrumental in turning English into a major language (before it was not widely spoken – even in England)

No1 in top list of what makes England English
  • Options
    Maggie!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Henry VIII – Despite his obvious failings, his influence turned England from a country on the fringes of Europe into a true world player – he was also instrumental in turning English into a major language (before it was not widely spoken – even in England)

No1 in top list of what makes England English

And still isn't in some places.........................................................................LOL!