Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England squad for the first Ashes Test

AJ Strauss (Middlesex, capt) Age 32 Tests 61
AN Cook (Essex) 24 43
RS Bopara (Essex) 24 6
KP Pietersen (Hampshire) 29 52
PD Collingwood (Durham) 33 48
MJ Prior (Sussex, wkt) 27 18
A Flintoff (Lancashire) 31 74
SCJ Broad (Notinghamshire) 23 17
GP Swann (Nottinghamshire) 30 7
JM Anderson (Lancashire) 26 37
MS Panesar (Northamptonshire) 27 38
IR Bell (Warwickshire) 27 46
G Onions (Durham) 26 2

Comments

• Options
    Bloody Bell ?
  • Options
    Personally I'd leave out Bell and Panesar. Bell I don't think is quite good enough at the very top level (he even got a 1st ball duck lbw to Brett Lee this week) and I think Swann and Onions are likely to take more wickets than Panesar. Panesar can't bat either and his fielding is also the worst out of the three.

If we really need 2 spinners Pietersen can turn his arm over.
  • Options
    Bell is in the squad as batting cover - KP is carrying an achilles injury and although he's likely to be fit if it flares up at the last minute then Bell is ready to step in, otherwise he or another replacement would be several hundred miles away.

Other than that...it looks to be a straight forward choice between Onions and Panesar for the last place, do England play two spinners or not...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Personally I'd leave out Bell and Panesar. Bell I don't think is quite good enough at the very top level (he even got a 1st ball duck lbw to Brett Lee this week) and I think Swann and Onions are likely to take more wickets than Panesar. Panesar can't bat either and his fielding is also the worst out of the three.

Agreed, much as I like Monty!
  • Options
    Agreed re Monty, love him and all that,can't knock his enthusiasm, but i think Warne got him bang on when he said he hasn't played 38 different tests, he has played the same test 38 times!!! Would of liked to have seen Sidebottom there instead (unless he is injured of course), swann just offers so much more, can bat a bit, and his fielding is good. And it isn't so much his bowling that worries me about Monty (a bit but not alot) it is his rotten batting and fielding, he is simply shit at them aspects of the game!! That might just be the fine line between us winning an losing, look at the 05 ashes, finest margins won us that, and i am scared he could be the one margin that is not fine enough if you catch what i am saying!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Personally I'd leave out Bell and Panesar. Bell I don't think is quite good enough at the very top level (he even got a 1st ball duck lbw to Brett Lee this week) and I think Swann and Onions are likely to take more wickets than Panesar. Panesar can't bat either and his fielding is also the worst out of the three.

Agreed, much as I like Monty!
    Yeah I don't agree with him being included, they gave the reason that Monty has more experience than Rashid, funny that with all this experience he still has no variation in his bowling, still can't field and still can't bat.
  • Options
    Moore of Worcestershire is a bit unlucky not to get in the squad given Bell's indifferent form and the fact that he got a ton for the Lions.

The same goes for Rashid to some extent although in his case perhaps they look on him as a bowler rather than a batter and that is why Monty got the nod.
  • Options
    And Rob Key isn't good enough,& Bell is better because...........?
  • Options
    If we lose KP to injury during the series, then I think we can forget about winning it
  • Options
    Big, big mistake to leave out Harmison. He sorted Hughes out good and proper in that Lions game and got Ponting as well whilst Onions looked very, very ordinary (although not as bad as Mahmood).

I think you have to play Harmison when he is in form - like he is now - and accept that he will only bowl well in England when he has overs under his belt and so forget about him being a success overseas.

He is a rhythym bowler and once he is in rhthym and fit he is our best bowler with Freddie but when he is out of practice he is awful.

My bowling attack would be - Harmison, Anderson, Fred, Broad & Swann.