Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kidbrooke wildlife

noooooooooooo its not some chavy sort or the bastwerd fox cub that came in the back door and made off with one of me new shoes, but a tiny grey parrot, Been watching it on nad off all day. About the size of a black bird. Might be a baby paragueet but its grey and feeds on the ground. noooooooooooooooooooo it aint a pidgeon. Could be a budgie on steroids ?

Comments

• Options
    Goonybird ?
  • Options
    I get a flock of parakeets (a bright green yellow colour) that arrive in my garden once a day. Make a hell of a racket for 20 minutes and then disappear.
  • Options
    same ,several times a day. this takes no notice of em is grey and they dont feed on the ground.

SHG if had anything goonerish about it , it would be an ex- parrot !
  • Options
    Every friday night on my way home from the pub I see a flock of pink elephants.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Escaped cockatiel maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatiel
  • Options
    Don't have a clue what you are on about, but there used to be plenty of wild life in the watt Tyler when I went in there, not too often thankfully, that, the barge pole and the belvoir were not places I went too often.
  • Options
    I saw a Chavfinch in Gillingham today
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]I saw a Chavfinch in Gillingham today

Is that the bird with the big gold like rings by its ears?
  • Options
    I had a canary in my garden this morning, really tame nearly managed to catch it. I expect someone is not feeling to happy after leaving the window open.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]I saw a Chavfinch in Gillingham today

Is that the bird with the big gold like rings by its ears?

Sure is & it was eating a (Bur)berry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: w/sladeaddick[/cite]I had a canary in my garden this morning, really tame nearly managed to catch it. I expect someone is not feeling to happy after leaving the window open.

Hope it wasn't eaten by the big bad Wharf
  • Options
    its a Lovebird. looked on the web last night, must have escaped from somewhere. Walked up to about 3 feet away last night. Web says most are green but can be grey.

Not a cockateele Wilma, mum has had one for ages. This has a slightly bigger body and no tail feathers.

might try to catch it.
  • Options
    I've got a pair and catching them when they don't want to be caught is a world of frustration. If you hang up a cage with food in it, it might fall for it, but they're cautious, so expect it to wait a few days before it pops in...

They're very squashable so if you go for the chucking a cloth over it approach try and hook it's neck with thumb and forefinger and don't put any pressure on its body. Expect a couple of painful pecks...
  • Options
    There always seems to be paraqueets (sic) in Falconwood crematorium.
  • Options
    mate is not a well known fact that when no 1 is looking they feed on the dead ! they only eat seeds and stuff when being watched. I have started hanging up a photo of parkinson in the tree , with the hope that they will carry him off as he is a dead man walking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]mate is not a well known fact that when no 1 is looking they feed on the dead ! they only eat seeds and stuff when being watched. I have started hanging up a photo of parkinson in the tree , with the hope that they will carry him off as he is a dead man walking.
    Are you getting lovebirds mixed up with zombies GH?
  • Options
    could be -----------grey---------------no tail -------------and in Kidbrooke !
  • Options
    loads of parakeets or however you smell it, in Bursted Woods too
  • Options
    Mystery solved. A lady from Parrot Rescue (anything can happen in the next half hour) says its a female Grass Parrot , one of the smallest parrots and must have escaped from an avery.
  • Options
    the parakeets turn up in our garden every morning around 6am and then in the evening around 7pm and both times only hang around for half-hour or so. Seems they must cover the whole SE London area throughout the day to keep us all happy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2007/wcrrinpa.shtml

They are ring-necked parakeets - now very common throughout North West Kent, South London and into Surrey and now spreading fast over a wider area. They like to roost in poplar trees - there are thousands of them in the grounds of Lewisham Crematorium in Verdant Lane. Lots of them fly off in the mornings in big noisy flocks to other open spaces and then return shortly before dusk. We have half a dozen or so in our garden every day. Apparently the juries still out on whether they do any damage in terms of out-competing native wildlife.
  • Options
    if we leave shoes outside the back door the foxes have a habit of running off with em !! yesterday evening came down after doing some work on the PC. Looked out the back door to find half way up the garden 2 of my wifes shoes and one one my own. Not left outside back door but in the shoe rack which is in the hall by the front door !!! bold barstard. Mind you weird that a fox has a shoe fetish ! well could understand if it was 5 inch red stilletos.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]if we leave shoes outside the back door the foxes have a habit of running off with em !! yesterday evening came down after doing some work on the PC. Looked out the back door to find half way up the garden 2 of my wifes shoes and one one my own. Not left outside back door but in the shoe rack which is in the hall by the front door !!! bold barstard. Mind you weird that a fox has a shoe fetish ! well could understand if it was 5 inch red stilletos.

been in our conservatory too and nicked the wife's slipper and pee'd on the other one. Pee'd all over the door stop too. Got to the point where we can't really leave the doors open unattended. Pain in the fecking arse.
  • Options
    Came out on Saturday morning and one had sh*t all over one of the missus shoes! Nice!

Anyone got an idea how to keep them out of the garden as I'm sick of them!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]if we leave shoes outside the back door the foxes have a habit of running off with em !! yesterday evening came down after doing some work on the PC. Looked out the back door to find half way up the garden 2 of my wifes shoes and one one my own. Not left outside back door but in the shoe rack which is in the hall by the front door !!! bold barstard. Mind you weird that a fox has a shoe fetish ! well could understand if it was 5 inch red stilletos.

been in our conservatory too and nicked the wife's slipper and pee'd on the other one. Pee'd all over the door stop too. Got to the point where we can't really leave the doors open unattended. Pain in the fecking arse.
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Came out on Saturday morning and one had sh*t all over one of the missus shoes! Nice!

Anyone got an idea how to keep them out of the garden as I'm sick of them!

Curry powder or lions poo.
  • Options
    Notice the paraqueets are back in the garden. The havnt been about for weeks ,but i guess they where hiting the fruit down in kent. Some vin-yards have lost 15% of their grapes to paraqueets.The only thing that drives em away are Woodpeckers who fly straight at them----great to watch.

Went out the back last night and a fox was eating a pitza(sic) ! clever barstard how did it order it ?
  • Options
    'our' parakeets havn't been away. The reason they are now saying you can shoot them is because it is affecting the woodpecker population. However, I've never seen a woodpecker and if the woodpeckers attack the parakeets then how excatly are they affecting their population ?

As for the fox, I believe they all carry blackberry's.
  • Options
    i once saw a dead sea horse in the street, must've been dropped by a sea bird i guess, very weird
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]'our' parakeets havn't been away. The reason they are now saying you can shoot them is because it is affecting the woodpecker population. However, I've never seen a woodpecker and if the woodpeckers attack the parakeets then how excatly are they affecting their population ?

As for the fox, I believe they all carry blackberry's.

I'm no David Attenborough (?sp) but parakeets fly in flocks whereas woodpeckers tend to be solitary or single pairs. The sheer weight of numbers drives the woodpeckers away.

Why is that a problem they can just go somewhere else you might say! In theory yes but in practice (and I don't know why) certain species will only breed within a very small radius of where they were fledged. Woodpeckers tend to stick to familiar trees.