Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

30 clubs without Shirt sponsors

Said on the blurb re: the KRBS deal that 30 clubs don't yet have shirt sponsors.

WBA appear to still not have one but who are the others?

Did Cabrini pull out of the other deals they had as well?

Comments

• Options
    pop quiz..last team to appear in the cup final sans sponsor?
  • Options
    If every club in the Prem have one (do West Ham have one now ?) That means of the 72 clubs in the Football League almost half don't have a sponsor. Very sad.
  • Options
    I love the idea of a Scottish side (I think Hamilton ?) whereby every summer you can buy raffle tickets for £50 or £100,as many as you like, and the winner gets his or her Logo on the shirts for the season.
  • Options
    Another quick quiz:

Who was the first team to appear in the FA Cup Final with a shirt sponsor on some of their shirts (and not on others)?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Another quick quiz:

Who was the first team to appear in the FA Cup Final with a shirt sponsor on some of their shirts (and not on others)?

Spurs in 87
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]Another quick quiz:

Spurs in 87

That's what i meant, doh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]I love the idea of a Scottish side (I think Hamilton ?) whereby every summer you can buy raffle tickets for £50 or £100,as many as you like, and the winner gets his or her Logo on the shirts for the season.

Bristol Rovers just did exactly that...something I proposed to the club back in April.......take a £1000 gamble on getting your company name on the shirt for a whole season...sell it to 100 companies (Easy with our support you would think) and Bobs your uncle...Id certainly do it.....and all the other 99 companies get a mention in every match program as co contributors.

Too easy really isnt it.......
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    does seem a good idea but it has a lot of variables.

In this climate can you get 100 companies to pay £1000 for a raffle ticket which may just produce a small mention in the programme? A Charlton supporting business might be better off sponsoring a couple of shirts.

What control do you have over the type of company who wins? If people thought Cabrini was chavvy what would they say to K & P Carpet Fitters? Would a pub or a bookmakers fit in with the community side?

And the big one. That would raise at most £100,000. How much are KRBS paying. Said to be a six figure sum so at least that and likely to be more if as said it's comparable to the upper reaches of the CCC. It's also a three year deal so offers more stability and hopefully fewer changes in shirt design plus the benefits of co-branding across Kent
  • Options
    But... what if Palarse were to do the same? What would you put on their shirts?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]But... what if Palarse were to do the same? What would you put ontheirshirts?

Dunno, but they've got aload of s**t inside the shirts........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Did Cabrini pull out of the other deals they had as well?

Was only a one year deal with us, so maybe it was only a one year deal with other clubs? And they decided not to renew?
  • Options
    West Brom went sponsorless last year - they weren't offered any decent deals and preferred to wait a year, try and survive and then look around for a good sponsor if they survived. As they got relegated it might look a tad foolish, but they have a considerable amount of parachute money to fall back on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]West Brom went sponsorless last year - they weren't offered any decent deals and preferred to wait a year, try and survive and then look around for a good sponsor if they survived. As they got relegated it might look a tad foolish, but they have a considerable amount of parachute money to fall back on.

Falling back on parachute money might be a bit dangerous.
  • Options
    Aston Villa had Acorns, the childrens hospice, on thier shirts because they couldn't get decent value out of a sponsourship deal. West Ham changed sponsors mid season and played several games with a blank square on their shirts. A three year deal, at 6 figures per season plus increments for good cup performances (johnsons paint and eventually FA trophy :)) with a bulletproof company is a fantastic effort imo
  • Options
    The club's announcement only says six figure deal NOT 6 figure per season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cholland[/cite]The club's announcement only says six figure deal NOT 6 figure per season.

Thats true it doesn't, but you would hope with the club saying the deal
    compares very favourably with the upper echelons of the Championship.

that we'd be getting more than £300K
  • Options
    In comparison I've found out that Exeter get around £100-200k a season from their main sponsor. So ours is more than £300k surely.

Huddersfield have a 'home' sponsor and an 'away' one apparently.
  • Options
    The quote from Derek Chappell about 30 clubs being without a shirt sponsors for next season is just pure rubbish. If this is an indication of his knowledge of what is going on we are really in trouble. If he was feed this fact he ought to take a good look at who gave it to him and learn not to take anything on trust from them again. A number of clubs have a couple of shirt sponsors with ads on front, back and shorts. Exeter have Flybe on front, St Austell Brewery on back. They got 120k for 2 years in 2007 so I would be surprised if they had doubled that for the new deal singed in April.
  • Options
    i asked the question as i didnt know who the other 30 clubs were.

Colin, u say that figure is rubbish. What are u basing that statement on? If not 30 then how many?
  • Options
    Are West Ham one of the 30?.

Was at Lakeside today and saw a father and son in West Ham home shirts - both had the Bobby Moore Cancer Trust on the front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the West Ham Web site: "West Ham United are pleased to announce a shirt-sponsorship agreement with Isle of Man licensed and regulated SBOBET until the end of the 2009/10 season that will also mean increased exposure for the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK. . . . The Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK (Registered Charity No. 1089464) logo is to be carried on all kit worn by the club's academy sides as well as on child replica strips.

So they are not one of the imaginary '30'.
  • Options
    Henry - I think this is a fairly accurate list - only Portsmouth have not announced a sponsor (although there are rumours of a deal with a hotel group) in the Premier League with Cardiff, Peterborough and West Brom in the Championship not having announced. (4)

Colchester and Hartlepool in the first div although Southampton's Flybe were talking of pulling out although they only extended it in December 2008. (2)

Barnet, Cheltenham, Chesterfield, Dagenham & Redbridge, Darlington, Maccesfield, Shrewsbury (7)

So that would be 13 and more than half of these are in the Second Division. Maybe Chappell was misquoted and he said 13 not 30!
  • Options
    Thanks Colin,
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: cholland[/cite]Henry - I think this is a fairly accurate list - only Portsmouth have not announced a sponsor (although there are rumours of a deal with a hotel group) in the Premier League with Cardiff, Peterborough and West Brom in the Championship not having announced. (4)

Colchester and Hartlepool in the first div although Southampton's Flybe were talking of pulling out although they only extended it in December 2008. (2)

Barnet, Cheltenham, Chesterfield, Dagenham & Redbridge, Darlington, Maccesfield, Shrewsbury (7)

So that would be 13 and more than half of these are in the Second Division. Maybe Chappell was misquoted and he said 13 not 30!

Good work Mr Holland.
  • Options
    noticed that neither Forest or Notts Co had sponsors on their shirts, at least not in the photo in the Sunday Times.

I assume that Notts mystery owners will sort that out sooner rather than later.

Any others anyone has noticed.
  • Options
    I read something about Notts Co getting around the League Two rule of wages being no more than 60% of the clubs income by their new owners sponsoring them. Not sure if it's true though, was meant to be another club that had done the same in the past (or still does?).
  • Options
    This is what Ipswich do. The owner sponsors the club as well.
  • Options
    If Sven and his former partner get back together, maybe County will have " Nancy Boys" on their shirts ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]does seem a good idea but it has a lot of variables.

In this climate can you get 100 companies to pay £1000 for a raffle ticket which may just produce a small mention in the programme? A Charlton supporting business might be better off sponsoring a couple of shirts.
    What control do you have over the type of company who wins? If people thought Cabrini was chavvy what would they say to K & P Carpet Fitters? Would a pub or a bookmakers fit in with the community side?

And the big one. That would raise at most £100,000. How much are KRBS paying. Said to be a six figure sum so at least that and likely to be more if as said it's comparable to the upper reaches of the CCC. It's also a three year deal so offers more stability and hopefully fewer changes in shirt design plus the benefits of co-branding across Kent
    But how much would 2 shirt sponsorships cost - £500 ?
    That still only gets them a small mention in the programme.
  • Options
    Exactly - for the same money they are guarenteed a mention and get the shirts to keep/dinner etc.

I think Terry's idea is sound but the shirt sponsorship is the wrong product.

I think the big screen would be better. Lower cost (£10 - 25k) lots of exposure. Maybe something for the Fans Forum to suggest.