Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bruno: Funny or Offensive??

edited July 2009 in Not Sports Related
Just to lighten the mood a bit, anyone see Bruno? If so what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Hilarious dont see why anyone would find it offensive except the Americans that is!
  • Options
    or the religious/homophobic people i work with. One of whom thought it was offensive and he is only 23. I thought it was hilarious
  • Options
    Not offensive - or funny, sadly. Aeons ago (before the 11 o'clock show, before Ali G, before Borat) he used to do Bruno on these little skits that ran between shows on the Paramount Comedy Channel. Now THEY were funny - but possibly because they were only about 45 seconds long. Didn't translate to longer segments on his own show - and definitely didn't translate to a 90 minute film. I saw it at the weekend and it was pretty poor - some funny bits, but a hell of a lot of crap padding them out (much like the Borat film, in fact).
  • Options
    Come on the spiratulist bit ha ha ha!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Not offensive - or funny, sadly. Aeons ago (before the 11 o'clock show, before Ali G, before Borat) he used to do Bruno on these little skits that ran between shows on the Paramount Comedy Channel.

That was about the same time ricky gervais was mildly funny.
  • Options
    Why would you watch it if you know you're offended easily?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]That was about the same time ricky gervais was mildly funny.

that is a long time ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Not offensive - or funny, sadly. Aeons ago (before the 11 o'clock show, before Ali G, before Borat) he used to do Bruno on these little skits that ran between shows on the Paramount Comedy Channel. Now THEY were funny - but possibly because they were only about 45 seconds long. Didn't translate to longer segments on his own show - and definitely didn't translate to a 90 minute film. I saw it at the weekend and it was pretty poor - some funny bits, but a hell of a lot of crap padding them out (much like the Borat film, in fact).
    Not seen Bruno but have seen Borat but that's pretty much how I see things
  • Options
    Watch Bruno seriously it's Hilarious and I went with a Muslim and a Jew they both loved it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Why would you watch it if you know you're offended easily?
    Just so one can b.tch about it and get people to pay attention to them.... sad but true.

Have only seen part of it but will def see it soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved Ricky Gervais in The Office and Extras, but hate his stand up stuff & films.
  • Options
    Depends if you find the Holocaust funny or not doesn't it really? Borat was in a different league to Bruno. Gervais is by far our most original, innovative and creative comedian.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Depends if you find the Holocaust funny or not doesn't it really?
    I do hope that was joke...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Depends if you find the Holocaust funny or not doesn't it really?
    I do hope that was joke...

What I meant was, I found the amount of jokes in the film made about the Holocaust offensive.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sorry Mienen Fuhrer?

They were jokes that my Jewish mate Lewis (or Jewis as we call him) said were hilarious as they showed just how stupid SOME american's can be!

did think he was crazy for calling Bin Laden a dirty Wizard tho!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Sorry Mienen Fuhrer?

They were jokes that my Jewish mate Lewis (or Jewis as we call him) said were hilarious as they showed just how stupid american's can be!

So because I'm not Jewish I can't find it offensive? I actually thought it was a funny film, but with perhpas too many Holocaust jokes. I do agree it did show how stupid some Americans can be though. I also thought it was a bit more staged than Borat.
  • Options
    No not at all just saying my mate who should have been offended if anybody wasn't!

Apparently from an interview with Sascha Baron Cohen it is actually staged equally!

**** Spoiler alert ****

How close did that chair come to hitting his head!
  • Options
    I wonder what he'll do next, now that he's used all his characters for films. An Ali G sequel maybe?...anyone know?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I wonder what he'll do next, now that he's used all his characters for films. An Ali G sequel maybe?...anyone know?

Nothing I hope. Well past his sell by date and deliberatly seeking controversy in order to put a few more quid in the bank. If you read some of the background to how he's stitched up some of the (ordinary) people in the films it's appaling and I defy anyone to convince me that turning up as a guest in someone's house with a bag of s##t is anything other than a grossly offensive act. Quite damning on society in general that that sort of thing is tolerated really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I wonder what he'll do next, now that he's used all his characters for films. An Ali G sequel maybe?...anyone know?

Nothing I hope. Well past his sell by date and deliberatly seeking controversy in order to put a few more quid in the bank. If you read some of the background to how he's stitched up some of the (ordinary) people in the films it's appaling and I defy anyone to convince me that turning up as a guest in someone's house with a bag of s##t is anything other than a grossly offensive act. Quite damning on society in general that that sort of thing is tolerated really.

Think that when his dinner guest turned up in the deep south at said place and she was black the looks of disdain from the hosts towards her were quite damning on that particular section of American society (i dont think the hostility towards her was purely cos she was dressed brashly as lady of the night).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Think that when his dinner guest turned up in the deep south at said place and she was black the looks of disdain from the hosts towards her were quite damning on that particular section of American society (i dont think the hostility towards her was purely cos she was dressed brashly as lady of the night).

Well, we can agree on that, but even if they were the most reprehensible people on earth there are still limits that have to be respected.
  • Options
    I laughed almost non stop through the whole film, but i think what he does in those films really is a case of havin the bottle rather than being a comedy genius!