Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wedding songs

edited July 2009 in Not Sports Related
Two things I'm after here.

Firstly for all those who are married what did you have as your first dance/have played as a special song (no soppy stories though please)

Secondly, and steering clear of the shite that is classed as 'wedding music' thereby being an essential for getting 'the oldies dancing' (I mean you Abba, Wham, Village People) what would you like to have massage your ears at a wedding of two late 20's funksters?

Go for your lives

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    We had Bacharach and David's "This Guy's in Love With You" by Herb Alpert.

Beautiful romantic song by the best partnership of love songs performed by a very underrated artist.

We probably only danced a few bars alone before the whole party joined in.

I'm far too old to help you with your second request.
  • Options
    falling in love by mcfly for the isle thing it is actualy a nice song haha :)
  • Options
    Your the best thing by The Style Council
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    For Mrs M and myself it was 'This Guy' by Herb Alpert and the Tijiuana Brass but things livened up after that. (We're talking 1971 here)! As for the second part, I'll come back to you after our daughter's wedding in a couple of week's time but I will be requesting 50's/60's R&R stuff (e.g Danny and the Juniors etc.) but doubt that I'll get it!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Your the best thing by The Style Council[/quote]

i like it mate!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    al green - let's stay together.

our dj's knew what they were doing after that,as i wouldn't have had any idea.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Two things I'm after here.

Firstly for all those who are married what did you have as your first dance/have played as a special song (no soppy stories though please)

Secondly, and steering clear of the shite that is classed as 'wedding music' thereby being an essential for getting 'the oldies dancing' (I mean you Abba, Wham, Village People) what would you like to have massage your ears at a wedding of two late 20's funksters?

Go for your lives

Cheers
    I had 'Unforgettable' by Nat King Cole. Just split up with the wife of nine years though, so WTF do I know? :)

The rest of the music depends on the people you have there. If most of them are metallers, play metal. If most of them are pillheads, play trance. If most of them are... well, you get the idea :)
  • Options
    A couple of my friends had "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica as their first dance. Another couple I know had a playlist that was basically anti-cheesy love songs for their wedding - highlights included "Used To Love Her" by Guns and Roses, and "It's Yer Money I'm After Baby" by the Wonder Stuff.

Probably best to ask them what kind of stuff they're into and build up a playlist from there to be honest. Britpop's probably a reasonably safe bet, some mainstream R&B (Destiny's Child etc) and some not too hardcore dance stuff.
  • Options
    We walked down the aisle to moon river and back up to s'wonderful
  • Options
    I've done dozens of weddings, I'm just trying to build a case for a 'no-shit' policy being agreed with the bride. It will probably go to the dogs when one of her pissed up mates asks for DJ f***ing casper and starts to create when I tell the gaggle of drunken molishers that I am playing to a dancefloor full of people dancing to good music and it is inappropriate.

I always get whoever books me for stuff like this to email lists of stuff they want played and stuff they absolutely do not want to hear.

I read Peter Kays book a couple of years ago and it is so accurate it's untrue about running a mobile disco. One div will always badger, and badger and badger you for a completely either obscure or inappropriate record all night until you relent then watch your dancefloor empty. Then the vermin have the cheek not to dance themselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiance walked down the aisle to Teardrop by masssive attack
    Me and Wife walked out to the theme music to Hustle (BBC TV series)

First dance was 'You cant always get what you want' The Rolling Stones
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Your the best thing by The Style Council

That was mine.....
  • Options
    When I first married back in 94 we had Elvis, Hawaiian Wedding Song (yes, I know), divorced nearly 10 years ago, and remarrying next year, it will be "No Matter What" (Westlife/boyzone???) as at the time we were under a lot of pressure from people and criticism due to the age gap and other things, and the tune at the time was a kind of anthem for us both.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I've done dozens of weddings, I'm just trying to build a case for a 'no-shit' policy being agreed with the bride. It will probably go to the dogs when one of her pissed up mates asks for DJ f***ing casper and starts to create when I tell the gaggle of drunken molishers that I am playing to a dancefloor full of people dancing to good music and it is inappropriate.

I always get whoever books me for stuff like this to email lists of stuff they want played and stuff they absolutely do not want to hear.

I read Peter Kays book a couple of years ago and it is so accurate it's untrue about running a mobile disco. One div will always badger, and badger and badger you for a completely either obscure or inappropriate record all night until you relent then watch your dancefloor empty. Then the vermin have the cheek not to dance themselves.

Mate of mine (Dave Richards) is a DJ on the Elvis/rockabilly scene, he also does weddings etc and he's doing ours, he has asked for a top 10 list from us, and also what we dont want, I refuse to have to rap or hip hop, and we our only having a smattering of Elvis tunes.
  • Options
    When we tie the knott next year were having ben folds the luckiest as our first song (google it if u don't know it, one of the most honest love songs ever and my style of random, then into it must be love by maddness to get everyone up after our dance, we like a bit of cheese so proclaimers amarillo no r and b no dance music, plenty of 60's kinks stones etc bit of 70ls glam slade etc then into 80's 90's with maddness specails spanduet ballet to green day and nirvana we have a massive wide taste of music apart from r and b and dance.
  • Options
    If i could write a book by Ella Fitzgerald. We were massively into Harry Connick Jnr at the time & it seemed very apt :-D
  • Options
    My brother had D I V O R C E by Tammy Wynette.

They are still together.

Best wedding for music I've been to had a Irish and Western band.
    All ages getting up and having a dance and sing-a-long
  • Options
    Second time around:

INXS; Never tear us apart
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]We had Bacharach and David's "This Guy's in Love With You" by Herb Alpert.

Beautiful romantic song by the best partnership of love songs performed by a very underrated artist.

We probably only danced a few bars alone before the whole party joined in.

I'm far too old to help you with your second request.

Whatever rocks your boat Chirpy...excuse me whilst I throw up!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]When we tie the knott next year were having ben folds the luckiest as our first song (google it if u don't know it, one of the most honest love songs ever and my style of random, then into it must be love by maddness to get everyone up after our dance, we like a bit of cheese so proclaimers amarillo no r and b no dance music, plenty of 60's kinks stones etc bit of 70ls glam slade etc then into 80's 90's with maddness specails spanduet ballet to green day and nirvana we have a massive wide taste of music apart from r and b and dance.[/quote]

Completely with you on 'The Luckiest' a beautiful song, the antidote to 'One angry dwarf and 200 solemn faces'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just the way you are - Billy Joel

You'd have to ask the missus about the 2nd question, she was in charge of all that !!
  • Options
    Three times a lady......commodores. back in 1985.

I think 3 times a year would have been more appropriate !!
  • Options
    Wife number 1 - Ain't no mountain high enough

Wife number 2 - Who cares!, she was a total bitch! How I ever married it I don't know!

Wife number 3 - Footsteps on the dance floor (been with my good lady for 21 years now - third time lucky thankfully!)
  • Options
    1st Dance was "She" by Elvis Costello.

Wanted to walk back up the aisle to "10 storey love song" by the stone roses but wasn't allowed!
  • Options
    Entered the dance floor to The Red Red Robin - then we danced to Zoom - Fat Larry's Band. I tried not to make it to serious with all those people watching. far too embarrassing.

the Second dance i danced with my Dad to the Last Waltz - Englebert Humperdinck. Not cos of the words but i like that song and he can only waltz (i cant).
    We didnt really have any wedding music apart from one or two odd ones .i like i still have my dance list but am afraid it was for two 40 somethings but the dance floor was filled all night and everyones been asking for the DJ's number ever since.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]A couple of my friends had "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica as their first dance. Another couple I know had a playlist that was basically anti-cheesy love songs for their wedding - highlights included "Used To Love Her" by Guns and Roses, and "It's Yer Money I'm After Baby" by the Wonder Stuff.

Probably best to ask them what kind of stuff they're into and build up a playlist from there to be honest. Britpop's probably a reasonably safe bet, some mainstream R&B (Destiny's Child etc) and some not too hardcore dance stuff.

Surely that's a bit inappropiate! For those not in the know the chorus goes, I used to love her, but I had to kill her!

Nothing Else Matters would be a great first dance tune, or adagio for strings by Tiësto.

Basically if you don't play any indy crap you'll do alright!
  • Options
    ''adagio for strings by Tiësto''

Also the music played In Apocolypse Now!! lol

Ive always wanted my first dance to be ''Kissing You'' by Des'ree. Its the music From Romeo & Juliet.....

....Just gotta find a bird now!
  • Options
    At our wedding 2 and a bit weeks ago, my wife walked up the aisle to Wonderful World by Eva Cassidy and Katie Melua, which was last song her dad bought before passing away last year.
    We walked back down to Greatest Day by Take That.
    First dance was Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

For the reception music we just sent a list of various genres we wanted.
    Said wanted some music to get people dancing at the start such as Shaktatak,Gap Band, etc, then moving onto a bit of 80s Michael Jackson etc, then onto late 80's early 90's 'dancey' classics - Show me love,Vibe, and classic Ibiza songs from that era as well that most people would know - the charty stuff, rather than banging progressive stuff.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]A couple of my friends had "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica as their first dance. Another couple I know had a playlist that was basically anti-cheesy love songs for their wedding - highlights included"Used To Love Her" by Guns and Roses, and "It's Yer Money I'm After Baby" by the Wonder Stuff.

Surely that's a bit inappropiate! For those not in the know the chorus goes, I used to love her, but I had to kill her!
    That was the whole point. They hated all those "I will always love you" type of songs, so actually got all their friends to suggest the most inappropriate wedding songs we could think of, and put together a playlist from there. I couldn't get time off work for the wedding, but I'm told that it actually went down really well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]If i could write a book by Ella Fitzgerald. We were massively into Harry Connick Jnr at the time & it seemed very apt :-D

Our second dance is You & I, Michael Buble, seen him twice, awesome voice