Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky's hands are not tied ....

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
he is well and truely trussed up like a turkey. Now, don't get me wrong. I have no confidence in the guy and if he left tomorrow it wouldn't be too soon. BUT I am beginning to feel bloody sorry for him. Whether he is or isn't the right man for the job is open to a lot of conjecture but at the moment he can't know whether he is coming or going. Fortune and Randolph, for whatever reason, won't sign new contracts. They must want to stay or they would be elsewhere by now. Gray and perhaps Fleetwood are about to be sold to the highest bidder. We have one contracted CH in Llera (no, we can't count Mambo) and are short of at least one more, if not two, a wide left player is required plus another striker. Add to this the possibility of Bailey or Shelvey having to be sold and we are in dire straights. I sympathise with Parky having to negotiate us through these stormy waters and it's anyone's guess when they will calm down, if ever. We are now reduced to trialing CH's released by Crewe who were heading for non-league until we ask them if they could possibly help out and make up the numbers. Thoughts of us signing Sodje, Ward etc are pie in the sky, how Richardson and Llera got caught in the net is a wonder in itself.

Anyway, like or dislike him I think Parky should be applauded for keeping the sinking ship afloat at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    Lighten up a bit damn, your talking as if we're about to crumble into pieces, ever considered that the trialing players are good enough. Stop crying over nothing we have debt like any other club. Everyone is going mad over an article that is utter bull shit wait for the real facts come out before writing long posts as to how charlton athletic is dieing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]Lighten up a bit damn, your talking as if we're about to crumble into pieces, ever considered that the trialing players are good enough. Stop crying over nothing we have debt like any other club. Everyone is going mad over an article that is utter bull shit wait for the real facts come out before writing long posts as to how charlton athletic is dieing.

it's your opinion that the article is utter bullshit and you are entitled to that opinion. I just disagree with you. This article was actually in praise of Parky but why am I not surprised you couldn't see that.
  • Options
    I have to agree, we've done ok so far really to have signed two defenders, kept the better players (well so far we have), and only lost Hudson (but got a good fee, I don't think anyone has said we should have turned it down), Zheng (as expected) and players we didn't need. He really hasn't done anything wrong and he's not in a good situation at all. I mean if Bailey had left by now, no doubt some fans would be blaming Parkinson.

Just hope everything else is sorted soon so he is able to sort out the squad. Agree with what you've said, we need to keep Fortune, Randolph, sign another centre back, a left winger and striker.

He obviously wants to keep the job, it's his chance to prove himself. If he goes he might end up having to step down to League Two and work his way up with much smaller clubs. It's an important season for his career, not just Charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]Lighten up a bit damn, your talking as if we're about to crumble into pieces, ever considered that the trialing players are good enough. Stop crying over nothing we have debt like any other club. Everyone is going mad over an article that is utter bull shit wait for the real facts come out before writing long posts as to how charlton athletic is dieing.

it's your opinion that the article is utter bullshit and you are entitled to that opinion. I just disagree with you. This article was actually in praise of Parky but why am I not surprised you couldn't see that.
    Yes and where in my post was I criticizing Parky? please show me, think about it before you try to post smarmy comments.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ladies! Please!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: J BLOCK joe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

Yes and where in my post was I criticizing Parky? please show me, think about it before you try to post smarmy comments.

you were not criticizing Parky and I didn't say you were. You were criticizing me for a negative post, which it wasn't. It was a positive post about Parky.
  • Options
    Tend to agree with you Large.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]We are now reduced to trialing CH's released by Crewe who were heading for non-league until we ask them if they could possibly help out and make up the numbers. Thoughts of us signing Sodje, Ward etc are pie in the sky, how Richardson and Llera got caught in the net is a wonder in itself.
    I interpreted this part as negative.
  • Options
    Parky is a good soldier, and reportedly a good bloke.
    Unfortunately he has proven not to be a good manager, and this is, afterall, a "results" business.
  • Options
    I am reminded of the recession before last and a bank inspector who achieved some internal notoriety for reporting an Area Executive to the Regional Board for professional misconduct concerning a local bank manager in Whitley Bay.

The misconduct was perpetual harassment of the local manager for failing to reach unachievable sales targets to the point of constructive dismissal. The inspector pointed out businesses in Whitley Bay were being decimated by the recession. The local man had worked tirelessly to keep the vast majority of his business customers trading. It was an exceptional effort by a committed professional.

Sometimes we need to reflect on our expectations of others.

Parkinson has been pilloried on this site and people are of course entitled to their opinion but we know the malaise on the playing side started long before he arrived. He has not stopped the rot in terms of playing results but then he has had less resource than any recent predecessor. We are back to the early days of Mr. Lawrence. Parkinson signings have all been loan transfers or free signings.

Crucially in the old days the club had a stable playing squad. At the worst of times you might see a turnaround of 8/ 9 players a season. Since 2005/6 season we have employed nearly 100 professionally contracted players.

With the changing nature of the business game and the influx of overseas players the opportunity to bring in any quality players with the experience and the interest to make a contribution to a lower league club is limited. In a competitive market with no resource it is nigh on impossible.

To me all Parkinson is currently trying to do is bringing together a solid set of reliable professionals (who the club can afford to pay) around which someone including himself could build for the future.

I have no insight of Parkinson’s real abilities as a football coach or manager. He has had success and failure elsewhere. Nobody despite numerous assertions to the contrary can be sure of his contributions (positive or negative) to the Pardew era. In any event in any organization being the top honcho is different.

In title (whatever that might be) Parkinson is currently responsible for the playing side of the business. Being responsible is one thing, being empowered to fulfill that responsibility to the best of your ability is quite another. The responsibility for that empowerment sits somewhere quite different.

Grapevine49
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spot on Grapevine, I couldn't have put it better myself. Parky is in a shocking position at the moment but is just getting on with doing his job in impossible circumstances. Good luck to him, he's going to need it.
  • Options
    There can only be so many excuses.

If we don't hit the ground running he'll be gone by the end of September, whoever is in charge.
  • Options
    Excellent post Grapevine 49.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he is well and truely trussed up like a turkey. Now, don't get me wrong. I have no confidence in the guy and if he left tomorrow it wouldn't be too soon. BUT I am beginning to feel bloody sorry for him. Whether he is or isn't the right man for the job is open to a lot of conjecture but at the moment he can't know whether he is coming or going. Fortune and Randolph, for whatever reason, won't sign new contracts. They must want to stay or they would be elsewhere by now. Gray and perhaps Fleetwood are about to be sold to the highest bidder. We have one contracted CH in Llera (no, we can't count Mambo) and are short of at least one more, if not two, a wide left player is required plus another striker. Add to this the possibility of Bailey or Shelvey having to be sold and we are in dire straights. I sympathise with Parky having to negotiate us through these stormy waters and it's anyone's guess when they will calm down, if ever. We are now reduced to trialing CH's released by Crewe who were heading for non-league until we ask them if they could possibly help out and make up the numbers. Thoughts of us signing Sodje, Ward etc are pie in the sky, how Richardson and Llera got caught in the net is a wonder in itself.

Anyway, like or dislike him I think Parky should be applauded for keeping the sinking ship afloat at the moment.[/quote]

Even if Gray & Fleetwood are sold, that still leaves us with four strikers. He's had to get Richardson because of his p1ss poor man-management of Moo2, but he has Semedo, Solly and Clarke as cover so money may have been better spent elsewhere. We have a decent sized squad, only short at centre-back and left-mid. He seems to be getting in too many options for every position rather than getting in decent quality and relying on kids as cover.
  • Options
    Top draw Grapevine 49, very good post.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Tend to agree with you Large.[/quote]

Me too

[quote][cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Parky is a good soldier, and reportedly a good bloke.
    Unfortunately he has proven not to be a good manager, and this is, afterall, a "results" business.[/quote]

I think large's comments are not so much relating to whether the guy is capable of the job, but the situation that he has been put in and what he is trying to do. Large has not been parkies greatest fan so its good that there is recognition that he is trying to do something, even though he is not felt to be the right person. i feel sorry for parkinson in that he has had no support from the board and must see the takeover as a route for him to receive a P45, otherwise why would the board not at least say he is manager.
  • Options
    Good post Grapevine.

Also agree with what Large is saying. He doesn't rate Parky and never has which is his opinion but is given the guy credit for what he has, in his opinion, done well in difficult circumstances. A good example of seeing both sides and not giving people either a halo or horns and then making all judgements based on that.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]Parky is a good soldier, and reportedly a good bloke.
    Unfortunately he has proven not to be a good manager, and this is, afterall, a "results" business.

There it is!

Oh and spot on Grapevine!
  • Options
    I am sure Prky is very concerned about the situation Charlton find themselves in and would be unhappy that his own performance as manager played some part in that.

No matter what the squad is next year, he will need to motivate those players to believe they can win, something he could not do last year IMHO. He will only be capable of doing this if we, as fans, get behind every last damn one of them from the first whistle. I am sure we will, but we still need to be behind them at the last whistle, whatever the result.

No matter who is in charge on the bench or in the Boardroom the chant has alsways been 'Charlton til I die' not 'Charlton when the manager appeals to me' or Charlton when the Board resign and a very rich bloke takes us over'. Well it was where I sit anyway.

If you want to change the way Charlton are run and then issue a statement every time anything happens, good luck. I might even vote for you as I did all those heros in the Vally party. If not, let's make sure all this keyboard shennaigans does not voice itself in the ground and we get behind the team when the Red, Red Robin starts.

Yippee I A Yippee I O
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]No matter what the squad is next year, he will need to motivate those players to believe they can win, something he could not do last year IMHO.
    That belief definitely started to return though, and sometimes though they believed they could win they just couldn't quite do it. Going 1-0 up because we had a goalscorer instead of 1-0 down might have made all the difference. There were several games we really weren't far off winning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]
    [cite]

He's had to get Richardson because of his p1ss poor man-management of Moo2, but he has Semedo, Solly and Clarke as cover so money may have been better spent elsewhere. We have a decent sized squad, only short at centre-back and left-mid. He seems to be getting in too many options for every position rather than getting in decent quality and relying on kids as cover.

Erm not so sure the Moots situation is down to parky more the player himself. As for Semedo solly and clarke 2 of them have hardly been in the 1st team squad and the other I dont think is a right back. He has got an experienced right back from leeds who made the play offs and an experianced centre half from MK dons who made the play offs imo they are to valuable additons for no dollar.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Even if Gray & Fleetwood are sold, that still leaves us with four strikers. He's had to get Richardson because of his p1ss poor man-management of Moo2, but he has Semedo, Solly and Clarke as cover so money may have been better spent elsewhere. We have a decent sized squad, only short at centre-back and left-mid. He seems to be getting in too many options for every position rather than getting in decent quality and relying on kids as cover.

Don't really agree with that, I can see why he signed him. I'd have been happy with Semedo there, but he might end up covering at centre back and central midfield. He'll end up filling in the gaps, not really ideal to have him as our only senior right back. Solly is fine as back up and Clark is a left footed left back, behind Basey and Youga.

What CAFCBourne said, we've got a natural right back that has experience in League One.

Just because we have numbers in one position doesn't mean we shouldn't improve the squad. I don't count Tuna as a serious contender for a regular place (he's not even gone pro yet), so if Gray and Fleetwood go we'd have three strikers. We need to get a goalscorer in if one becomes available to us. We might have enough strikers at the moment, but Gray will surely go and the rest are very unlikely to score 20+ in League One.

As for the situation with Yassin, we have no idea really what went on. Maybe if it was made public we'd be saying Parkinson was right all along.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]he is well and truely trussed up like a turkey. Now, don't get me wrong. I have no confidence in the guy and if he left tomorrow it wouldn't be too soon. BUT I am beginning to feel bloody sorry for him. Whether he is or isn't the right man for the job is open to a lot of conjecture but at the moment he can't know whether he is coming or going. Fortune and Randolph, for whatever reason, won't sign new contracts. They must want to stay or they would be elsewhere by now. Gray and perhaps Fleetwood are about to be sold to the highest bidder. We have one contracted CH in Llera (no, we can't count Mambo) and are short of at least one more, if not two, a wide left player is required plus another striker. Add to this the possibility of Bailey or Shelvey having to be sold and we are in dire straights. I sympathise with Parky having to negotiate us through these stormy waters and it's anyone's guess when they will calm down, if ever. We are now reduced to trialing CH's released by Crewe who were heading for non-league until we ask them if they could possibly help out and make up the numbers. Thoughts of us signing Sodje, Ward etc are pie in the sky, how Richardson and Llera got caught in the net is a wonder in itself.

Anyway, like or dislike him I think Parky should be applauded for keeping the sinking ship afloat at the moment.

Too bloody right.
  • Options
    So far so good, though he hasn't mannaged a competitive football game since Norwich. If he can hang on to wanted players like Shelvey, Racon and Bailey I will appreciate that he has done a good job. Unbeaten in pre season is fine.

He is in a pretty dire situation, limited funds, significant holes to fill in a depleted squad and though I am depressed about the results last season under his tenure as manager and assistant manager, I so hope that he can turn things around under these difficult times. However, his honeymoon period will be short if we don't get off to a good start.

I will be behind the team as always and I just pray that playing in league one will suit the players and our manager better and that we can experience some sort of feelgood factor by winning games and holding on to leads.