Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky says we need another 4 or 5 players- Crawley report

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Wouldn't surprise me, but as it's vital football it could just be an assumption because he's training with them. I think we'll probably find out soon.

All the article says is, he's training with Colchester, but has a contract offer on the table to consider ..... from Charlton.

"....Holland, 35, has been training with the U's during pre-season, click here, primarily to keep fit.
    He is currently a free agent but does have contract offer on the table from the U's recently relegated League One rivals Charlton Athletic ......"

Doesn't say anything about Colchester offering him a contract at this stage.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure how people can be taking much optimism from that performance. I thought Richardson looked okay, and shelvey had a fairly good game. What was burton doing all game, from where i was sat he was just sulking. Mcleod and dickson injected some pace yes, but that was about it, mcleod was very lucky with his goal. Unless we do ge these 4/5 players (if they are any good) in, then i can see us really struggling again this season.
  • Options
    Is it unreasonable to think that playerd who are failing in some areas could actually practice for hours in order to get better? What is supposed to happen all week? The players run around to improve fitness, what about improving footballing skills? Curbs would often say about getting some players young enough for us to have an influence on them, presumably he assumed part of his job was to train players up, and make them better. Bill Shankley is quoted as saying don't work on your strengths, work on your weaknesses. We have a lot of 'strikers'....I say get the on the training pitch to so some work,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: moutuakilla[/cite]I'm not really sure how people can be taking much optimism from that performance. I thought Richardson looked okay, and shelvey had a fairly good game. What was burton doing all game, from where i was sat he was just sulking. Mcleod and dickson injected some pace yes, but that was about it, mcleod was very lucky with his goal. Unless we do ge these 4/5 players (if they are any good) in, then i can see us really struggling again this season.
    Mcleod's only fault is he didn't hit his shots at the right time constantly one touch too many!
  • Options
    Out - Moutaoukil, Gray & McLeod

In - Holland, Fortune, Randolph on Contract, + 1 Defender & 1 Winger

Dont think Clark, Stravinou are at the standard to join the first team squad currently whould like to see a good loan spell for both of them.

Squad of 24

2 Keepers - Elliot & Randolph

8 Defenders - Youga, Fortune, Basey, Solly, Llera, Richardson, Mambo, ??

10 Midfielders - Bailey, Shelvey, Holland, Sinclair, Spring, Wagstaff, Sam, Racon, Semedo, ??

4 Forwards - Dickson, Burton, Fleetwood & Tuna
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Wouldn't surprise me, but as it's vital football it could just be an assumption because he's training with them. I think we'll probably find out soon.

All the article says is, he's training with Colchester, but has a contract offer on the table to consider ..... from Charlton.

"....Holland, 35, has been training with the U's during pre-season, click here, primarily to keep fit.
    He is currently a free agent but does have contract offer on the table from the U's recently relegated League One rivals Charlton Athletic ......"

Doesn't say anything about Colchester offering him a contract at this stage.

I can't believe that we have offered Holland another contract!!

Please Colchester, offer him something better....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]I can't believe that we have offered Holland another contract!!

Please Colchester, offer him something better....

I'm not the only one that doesn't see the need for him then. Even if Bailey, Shelvey and Racon all go, he can't do the job in the team that any of them do.

Better off saving the wages for a winger (since we only have Sam, Wagstaff isn't ready for regular football), otherwise we'll end up like we did with Pardew - far too many central midfielders.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Better off saving the wages for a winger (since we only have Sam, Wagstaff isn't ready for regular football), otherwise we'll end up like we did with Pardew - far too many central midfielders.
    [/quote]
    I bet its with a view to him playing center back, he'll also be needed as cover at CM if a couple leave.
  • Options
    I don't think he'll want to do that ideally, can see Parkinson wanting at least 3 proper centre backs, not having to use Holland, Youga and Semedo as cover.

Surely if he was going to stay he'd have played for us in pre-season by now?
  • Options
    Reading the piece on the OS this morning I think the 5 he's after include unsigned people training with the club i.e.:

Randolf,
    Fortune
    Wade Small

plus

another centre half or 2

If we sign those, I dont think anyone can level the "using too many players just like Pardew" comment at him.

If we sell Gray & or Fleetwood we will obviously need replacements for these.

Interestingly, with his "only one centre back on our books" comment, its obvious he doesn't think Mambo is ready for L1 football yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got to bring in a striker as well though I'm assuming Gray will go.
    [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]Interestingly, with his "only one centre back on our books" comment, its obvious he doesn't think Mambo is ready for L1 football yet.

Which is right imo. He'll be in and around the squad but there's no way he's ready to be one of our 3 or 4 main centre backs. Got to be be back up for now. He's 17, hasn't even been given a pro contract yet. He's said before that one day he thinks Mambo will play for the first team, but he's got to bring him through the right way. Look at Scott Wagstaff, lost his confidence because Pardew tried to bring him through too early. Not many young players are like Shelvey in that they can handle the pressure of regular football well enough and are good enough to play regularly in the first place.
  • Options
    We need another centre half as Llera is prone to getting cards and Mambo is too young at the moment to deputise.
    Two wingers don't do it for me. Sam and Bailey should be okay in this division, with Wagstaffe deputising, can't do any worse than Rommerdahl!
    When/if Gray goes, hopefully we can replace him with a hard working target man in the Leaburn mould. Glad it wasn't Jamie Scrowcroft.
    Does Mrs Shelvey have any more kids to send to the valley?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Two wingers don't do it for me. Sam and Bailey should be okay in this division

Agree I think we'll be more solid that way and I don't see us being able to find an out and out left winger that'll be consistent enough. I know Sam's not the most consistent but he has confidence now and in the last few years we've struggled with two proper wingers. Although a left midfielder like Konchesky was for us or another winger would be good competition.
  • Options
    worrying that if this takeover drags on much longer it is seriously damaging player recruitment and in the end the likes of Fortune, Randolph, Small etc will be forced to take up offers elsewhere. We are short in a couple of areas and it needs addressing now.