Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Gold question

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
I notice that VG has handed over £160k to the youth set up over the last year.

This was in comparison to £250k handed over the previous year, a 36% fall.

Is this solely in relation to falling membership ?

Comments

• Options
    must be, I also note they are pushing it as a priority scheme for away tickets on the OS
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]must be, I also note they are pushing it as a priority scheme for away tickets on the OS[/quote]

Where do they suddenly think we are going to get all these away fans from?.

Why is the Hartlepool game VG only?. I'd be surprised if sell all 900 even if they go on general sale.
  • Options
    Had the thing for years, done nothing for me, if u want a ticket u get one by hook or by crook, never won anything, and maybe the odd discount in the club shop but thats about it, i am thinking about knocking it on the head, and speanding a tenner on the lottery a month
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Why is the Hartlepool game VG only?. I'd be surprised if sell all 900 even if they go on general sale.

we generally do well in new ground syndrome,the numbers will be down the following season when the novelty factor has gone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Had the thing for years, done nothing for me
    What about the joy of watching Parker, Rufus and Kevin Lisbie?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Had the thing for years, done nothing for me, if u want a ticket u get one by hook or by crook, never won anything, and maybe the odd discount in the club shop but thats about it, i am thinking about knocking it on the head, and speanding a tenner on the lottery a month

The odds on winning the lottery are even worse - and I would rather my money going on Charlton rather than the so called good causes which the lottery promotes.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Had the thing for years, done nothing for me, if u want a ticket u get one by hook or by crook, never won anything, and maybe the odd discount in the club shop but thats about it, i am thinking about knocking it on the head, and speanding a tenner on the lottery a month[/quote]

The odds on winning the lottery are even worse - and I would rather my money going on Charlton rather than the so called good causes which the lottery promotes.[/quote]

Plus the Ad with the old boys playing football I think was filmed at Palace so the lottery is helping the scum.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite][quote aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Had the thing for years, done nothing for me, if u want a ticket u get one by hook or by crook, never won anything, and maybe the odd discount in the club shop but thats about it, i am thinking about knocking it on the head, and speanding a tenner on the lottery a month[/quote]

The odds on winning the lottery are even worse - and I would rather my money going on Charlton rather than the so called good causes which the lottery promotes.[/quote]

Valley Gold has now pretty much had its day, yea it was good when it started, and was there for the right reasons. Shelvey and Elliot have been good products of the accadamy, but over the last five years nothing great has happened, so what has it actually achieved.

Although it is only a tenner a month, times that by 12 then by another 10 years since i have been in the scheme and i just feel that i could i put that money to better use. I am sure the £1,200 would sit nicely in the kids accounts gaining interset, (although not at this currnet moment in time) for when they will have to go to University, surely thats my priorty in life now
  • Options
    WILB....

Packed it in a couple of years ago, and stared putting it into the lottery each month ...
    all lucky dips every time .
    have had 3 numbers on four occasions, and 4 numbers once ...
    Although putting that money into a schooling account for the kids makes sense !!
    Wouldn't think twice about it mate !!

Invest in your own kids !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: essbee[/cite]
    Invest in your own kids !!

Fair enough but if you can afford it don't see why you shouldn't continue at a time when the club probably needs it the most IMHO. Of course it's each individuals money and choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair enough but if you can afford it don't see why you shouldn't continue at a time when the club probably needs it the most IMHO. Of course it's each individuals money and choice.

Understand the semtiment VA, but what good has it done us so far ???

We sell our best youngsters for a comparitive pittance ( or just let them leave ) ....

But like you say..its all down to personal choice - but I do think that VG has reached its sell-by date IMO !
  • Options
    I was in it from the start and kept it going for about 10 years - during which time I think I won a consolation prize once!

Never did it for the chance of winning, rather to help support my club. However, the astronomical rise in income/players wages over the years made me have a rethink. I mean, if we can afford to bung Jimmy Floyd Moneybank Christ knows what a week then what good was my £120?

I gave it up when my son was born and now stick the money into a savings account for him instead - and bloody glad I am about it too.

Believe it or not Charlton isn't a charity - even though they come round with the begging bowl often enough. It's a business and if I am going to part with my hard earned then I want something tangible in return. If I want to give to Charity I will bung Great Ormond Street a few quid.
  • Options
    I still do it - it was good for the priority when we were in the prem. I just do it to support the club now. Need it more than ever.

I respect others choices - I don't have kids to worry about.