Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnnie Jackson at Colchester united is available

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
Left midfielder formerly of Spurs and someone I have always rated
just handed in transfer request

go get him Parky

Comments

• Options
    he would be a good addition to our squad without a dought
  • Options
    Was he there under Parky?
  • Options
    scored a cracker against us for spurs didn't he at the valley?
  • Options
    Parky left in June 2006, just around the time Jackson signed.
  • Options
    Can't sign him has the same name as a Palace legend from the 70's :-)
  • Options
    If signing him involves a fee then can't see it happening
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]scored a cracker against us for spurs didn't he at the valley?
    Yeah, he looked a very decent player then, I was surprised that he fell down the leagues. For League One I think he'd be excellent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Parky left in June 2006, just around the time Jackson signed.

Just had a look and it was actually Parky that took him on loan just after he was made manager in 2003.

Parkinson resigned from Colchester mid June, a week later they signed Jackson, and a week after that he was named Hull manager. Colchester then made Geraint Williams manager a month later.

It looks like the signing may well have been down to Parkinson, maybe he was in talks or recommended him after having him on loan 3 years earlier.

Jackson seems to have a year on his contract so he'd cost a fee, though I can't imagine it would be too much as they wouldn't get anything for him in a years time.

He's 27 soon, coming up to his peak, can play left midfield, central midfield and left back. If we get taken over and have a little bit to spend it's the sort of signing I could imagine happening for a few hundred £k.
  • Options
    if parky signed him he must be good and if he signs for us he's definitely good... just like the crock we've been signing for the last 3 years
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]if parky signed him he must be good and if he signs for us he's definitely good... just like the crock we've been signing for the last 3 years

this is different - JJ has MY seal of approval
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Johnnie Jackson is a great player especially at this level. When he went to Watford in the champ he started rocky and then they moved him inside and he quickly became their lynchpin. It was a very impressive transition for a young player who started off below average in his loan period and then started to dominate his teams play. Not only that in the champ he had good scoring records and excellent assist numbers at Colchester.

Whether we keep Bailey or not this guy should be signed up immediately if he's free. He's tall, physically competitive, plays centrally or on the left ( much better on the left than Bailey), links excellently with speedy forwards ( as he did with Lisbie ) and will be affordable in wages. Only problem... back injuries and with his height/physique and his age this is a problematic time in his career. Personally I think we should go all out to get a player like this, it's a risk but he's a player I wanted Pardew to sign our first season in the champ and in the first it's the risks we must take.

We still need more pace in the side but this guy can get the pass done as long as Dickson or Izale are in the team.... we have many players who can assist but don't link well with Izale or Dickson.
  • Options
    Maybe Matty Holland can put a word in?
  • Options
    He's just scored for Notts County, didn't know he was back playing already.

Worth looking to try to bring him in in the summer?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]He's just scored for Notts County, didn't know he was back playing already.

definitely, finances permitting, although there's a fair chance we'll both be in L1 next season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]He's just scored for Notts County, didn't know he was back playing already.

Definitely worth a look. Notts County will be releasing Kasper Schmeichel on a free at the end of the season, and they're looking to cut their wage bill for next season, so they might do the same for Jackson if he has a contract.

I wonder what wages he's on now at Notts? I don't think we could match them
  • Options
    I believe his wife is expecting and still lives down this way - it was one of the reasons he came to us as I think he wanted a permanent deal

I stand by my original statement and one I have reiterated a couple of times - I think he's a good player and would do a job for us
  • Options
    1.7M?
  • Options
    Jackson is on a two year contract , with Shelvey going we need a cm now as well.

I suspect wages may be a problem , but Notts probably afford them also . If signed on a free then maybe a signing on fee could compensate.

His wife was expecting whilst he was with us and Jackson wanted to come
  • Options
    well as long as there is no transfer fee because 99.99% there wont be any of the hugggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee fee we got for jon jo left after urgent debts are paid.
  • Options
    I thought he was one of our best players in his recent loan period
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Decent player but is he what we need? From what I was told he didn't impress even in League Two when it came to the aggressive/physical side, another decent tidy footballer, but we have plenty of those. He's a midfielder not actually a left back remember.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Decent player but is he what we need? From what I was told he didn't impress even in League Two when it came to the aggressive/physical side, another decent tidy footballer, but we have plenty of those. He's a midfielder not actually a left back remember.

I think he's best position is either left back or left midfield, he is versitile aswell sign him up! whatever league we are in next season would be good signing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Decent player but is he what we need? From what I was told he didn't impress even in League Two when it came to the aggressive/physical side, another decent tidy footballer, but we have plenty of those. He's a midfielder not actually a left back remember.

Guess it depends on the future of Youga and particularly Basey who I believe is out of contract at the end of the season (correct me if I'm wrong someone). Although he isn't a left back, he could definitely do a job there. I'd have no qualms signing him up because of his versatility. Remember we still have no full-time left wingers, so to have someone who we've seen can do a good job there would make him a good signing in my book.
  • Options
    That's true, would be nice to have the option of a left footed left midfielder and an out and out left winger.
  • Options
    id bring in Jackson if we can. Good left midfielder for next season whatever division.
  • Options
    if he's free then yes absolutely
  • Options
    I'd pay up to £500k for him - prob the best left back we've had this season & I prefer him over Youga !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I'd pay up to £500k for him - prob the best left back we've had this season & I prefer him over Youga !

Good man Golfie. Never knew you had such deep pockets though - lend us a tenner?
  • Options
    can't spent that much. chances are out of the £1.7m for shelvey, less than half will be made available for new players and our top priority is a striker.
  • Options
    Don't have to pay anything. Notts are seriously in debt and JJackson signed for them on what no doubt is silly wages for this level. Ultimately it comes down to if we can afford his wages. Personally I'd get rid of pretty much any central midfielder we have and play him centrally.