Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

charlton family tree

i was born in greenwich lived in welling. dad was charlton from early 50's coming from deptford. grandad was charlton from 30's also from deptford.

all my family are charlton, uncles and aunts, cousins, etc. my daughter is wednesday (spit). girlfriend is malmö.

charlton till i die

Comments

• Options
    Dad is a fan as was his dad. Been dragging mr along since I was 3 (29 years now!!)

Stepmums dad was Jack Shreeve - best friend of Sam Bartram and also FA Cup winner and runner-up with the mighty Addicks

I played for the youth team a few times many moons ago

Charlton til I die - if you cut me I bleed red!!
  • Options
    Grandma, dad, me, my boy (only 2 but he doesn't know better).

Numerous ex girlfriends also converted. Everytime i see them (very occasionally, don't tell the wife) they all look out for the Charlton result even though their current fellas support other teams.

I absolutely love spreading the Charlton love.

CAFC forever.
  • Options
    My grandad was a fan of Woolwich Arsenal, as a teenager he vowed never to see them again when they moved North and switched allegencies to Charlton. I'm now the third generation of four that are all Charlton fans.
  • Options
    Five generations of us.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited July 2009
    My dad is a gooner, so was my grandather, as are my two brothers, dad was born near the Holloway Road so I was an Arsenal fan in my very early days, then as I grew up realised I had a choice and have been an Addick since a small boy.
    My dad lives very close to the Valley and Charlton are his adopted 2nd team and he is a carer for a family member in a wheelchair in the NW Quadrant for most home games, my dad re-married in the early 80's and my stepbrother is a full fledged Addick, as is my son, both ST holders.

On my mothers side, grandad not a football fan, although my nan supported Chelsea, 3 of my mums brothers are man utd fans, one of my uncles was a very good goalkeeper in the early 70's and had trials at Charlton & Millwall, was on the verge of making it but beer & women got the better of him, one lives in Valley Grove overlooking the car park, and his son is now a regualr at Charlton) the other is millwall.
  • Options
    My grandad was in the army and when the family settled in eltham he took my dad and uncles to the valley. My aunty married a cornishman who also became a staunch addick. Me and my brother got the bug in the 80's and now my sisters son is about to start his 4th season as a st holder. I really hope we get some glory for his sake he's seen 3 bad years
  • Options
    5 generations but sadly I may be the end of a line. I have two daughters and if pressed and if trying to be nice to Dad, they might say they supported Charlton, but I can't see them inflicting - I mean continuing - this on their children, but maybe Grandad will! My father was a regular and my grandparents were big fans. Mt grandmother actually used to provide rooms for many of the Charlton players, so there used to be lots of stories about bygone days. I am not quite sure how she managed this tie-in with the Club, but I think about 12 different players lodged with her. Before that, I think it was a pairing of a Charlton supporter and a Woolwich Arsenal supporter. I just need to guide my daughters to Charlton-supporting men. Mind you, as if they ever listen to me!
  • Options
    I was born in Erith my Dad was from Eltham my Mum was living in Charlton Church Lane my dad played football on Saturdays so never really went to Charlton.

I kept moaning about him taking me to proper football so eventually in 1975 he did,ten years later i had my first ever season ticket and the rest is as they say history.
  • Options
    One Uncle took me to chelsea from 1966-70, but uncle John rescued me in 1970 and took me to the Valley.
    !st game 2-2 V.Portsmouth, just remember seeing that East Terrace.......
    We were 2-0 up & drew 2-2. Should have sussed it then......
  • Options
    Grandad was in 30's, Dad born on Woolwich Road, Great Aunt lived on Woolwich Road then down Charlton Lane behind the terrace, Me and now been taking Cat Jnr for a couple of seasons
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grandad was from east end but supported Charlton. Dad from Swanley followed suite. My first game was at selhurst against liverpool when Ronnie Rosenthal scored a hatrick on his debut and barnes the other when they beat us 4-0 in 1990. Massive punch up on the train on the way back involving some arsenal and west ham fans (I think) and was hooked.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Grandad was from east end but supported Charlton. Dad from Swanley followed suite. My first game was at selhurst against liverpool when Ronnie Rosenthal scored a hatrick on his debut and barnes the other when they beat us 4-0 in 1990. Massive punch up on the train on the way back involving some arsenal and west ham fans (I think) and was hooked.

That games was when Millwall ambushed a train at New Cross Gate to get at the gooners, not the Liverpool game.
  • Options
    I started it all up. Was born in Bromley, but moved down to East Sussex when I was about 2. Around 1995 Charlton were doing training courses down here in the school holidays, I went to a few of them. They started offering tickets, taking coaches up there, so went to a few matches with my dad, who didn't really support anyone at the time, and kept going ever since. My granddad lived in Welling so he either went with us or took me. He supported Forest but obviously was much easier to get to Charlton games than go up to Nottingham. Went every so often for a few years and eventually the three of us got season tickets in 98/99. My granddad along with my nan ended up moving down here, and while we were at the playoff final my nan actually sold their house in Welling after my granddad told her not to sell it without him there. Around the time the new season started my granddad was living down here, by then we always drove up. Coaches used to (and probably still do) take ages, stopping at loads of places on the way to pick up a couple of people.

My granddad died in 2002, one thing I do remember him telling me was he had a bet on Derby to beat us in the FA Cup final in 1946. We know a few people that support Charlton around here, one of them had a season ticket in the East Stand but moved over to our stand taking what was my granddads seat. Last few seasons I've been the only one that can go regularly for different reasons, so have gone up with different people, some of them Charlton fans, others not. First season we haven't renewed, as we just don't know how often we'll be able to go at the moment, so it's just not good value and there's never going to be the problem of not being able to get hold of tickets. Going to the Wycombe game so we'll just go from there, really can't say at the moment how often we'll go up. Obviously now we haven't got season tickets, whoever we take when others can't go is going to have to pay so I can't see many non-Charlton fans willing to pay £17-25 to watch League One football. Hopefully will get to quite a few games and more away games than usual.
  • Options
    My uncle took once in 1963, he wasn't a fan. I was bitten and have introduced my children and their children to the Charlton family.
  • Options
    Born in East London hammers area.Grandparents woolwich road and victory way.Dad worked for Johnson and Phillips in victory way but had no interest in football.Five uncles went to Charlton as did a grandad.Family all born in se7 and so first game for me was Chelsea v Man utd in 66.Three games was enough for me at Stamford Bridge.
    Many Thanks to Tony Denton who took me to my first game at The Valley in 67 NEVER LOOKED BACK.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Grandad was from east end but supported Charlton. Dad from Swanley followed suite. My first game was at selhurst against liverpool when Ronnie Rosenthal scored a hatrick on his debut and barnes the other when they beat us 4-0 in 1990. Massive punch up on the train on the way back involving some arsenal and west ham fans (I think) and was hooked.

That games was when Millwall ambushed a train at New Cross Gate to get at the gooners, not the Liverpool game.

Must have got them mixed up as i was only 10 at the time and was a hell of a long time ago!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Great thread.

My Grandad (Mum's Dad) was Millwall and Charlton - those days many used to alternate Saturdays. He lived in Catford
    My Dad was a footie fan but didn't support anyone as a kid. His Dad (My other Grandad) wasn't into football.
    My Dad's best mate growing up's family were Charlton (lived in Lewisham) and they first took my Dad.
    My Dad took me when I was 8, my brother when he was 5, and my Mum finally gave up and came too in the late 70's originally to see us play Fulham so she could see Bobby Moore
    My son went to his first game in the Prem v Bolton, he was 3 (he's now 9), he has got more into it the last 3 seasons, but unfortunately he has witnessed two relegations! When asked last night why he doesn't support Arsenal, he said "because they are rubbish." Brilliant.
  • Options
    my great uncle bob sims was a fan pre-wwI and helped dig out the Valley in 1919 despite having one leg. My dad was a fan from the early 30s. He has three sons who are all ST holders and the two that arent me were Valley Party candidates. My son and his two cousins are all ST holders and 4th generation Addicks.
  • Options
    All my mums side of the family are Charlton. Grandad even went to Charlton on his wedding day. Got married in the morning then whilst the women got the food ready for the reception, the men went to the game in their wedding suits.

My nan's 4 brothers were mad fans, Sam Bartram was at one of their weddings.