Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Moutaouakil on trial at Portsmouth

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/article.php?id=1040
Charlton defender Yassin Moutaouakil is the latest player the club have taken on trial.

The 22-year-old right back captained the France Under 21 side at the Toulon tournament two years ago, but has seen his career blwon off track after a move to south London that summer.

He is currently under contract at The Valley until 2011, but made a half hour appearance in Pompey's friendly at Basingstoke on Saturday

Moutaouakil started his career at French Ligue 2 side Chateauroux and made 35 appearances there until he moved to Charlton.

The London club paid £400,000 for the nplayer who had reportedly attract the attention of Everton, Aston Villa, Celtic and Lazio.

At the time the then Charlton boss Alan Pardew, now at Southampton, said: I'm delighted to sign Yassin and we have very high hopes for him. He's a player a number of clubs were very interested in and we're naturally very pleased he has chosen Charlton."
Confirmed on Pompey's OS match report

Surely too much of a step up for him, but if they use him in the right way he could probably be useful going forward and improve defensively with games.

Personally I'd like to see another English club sign him and see him prove how good he can be.

I know we have fans that say he's poor, but he's clearly good going forward and is the type of player that needs games and experience to improve defensively. They are areas defenders generally do improve at with age. We're not letting him go because he's a poor player, it's obvious now things have happened behind the scenes/in training.

Comments

• Options
    There's two issues with Moo2. On the field, he's a proper wing-back and a lot of British managers just don't get that. Personally I reckon he's a better player than any of the many other right backs we had over the last couple of years, (other than Semedo) but the bigger issue with him, is behavioural. He's had a number of disciplinary issues, from lateness, not showing up etc and fighting. We don't know the full story, but he certainly seems to cause disharmony in the group. It's noticeable that others in the squad looked better once he'd been removed. For that reason I hope he goes. It's a shame we didn't have people to work with him that could have harnessed his talent and fixed his issues, but I don't see the situation being fixable here. It'll be a major embarrassment for the management if he does end up in the Premiership, doing a job, though.
  • Options
    I agree about him being a wing back and British managers just not getting it.

Has the lateness, fighting and not turning up been confirmed by anyone or are they just rumours? Is he that unprofessional or is he acting like this because he doesn't get on with the manager and players?
  • Options
    Brilliant, not good enough for Charlton but good enough for the Premier League - we are a laughing stock, joke club & this season could be worse than last year.
  • Options
    I liked him but clearly it wasn't a good fit. Sell him cheap and stick a big sell on claus in and maybe it'll work out long term.
  • Options
    He's bloody better than that awful full back Pompey got from Lyon.
  • Options
    I personally thought Yassin was decent and i think if people are happy to have youga in their starting line up then it should be a formality having yassin in it!Good luck to him because his treatment at this club has been abismal and we ought to be ashamed!
    I think were going to miss him and i know he will prove me right because thats the way it goes with every player who leaves Charlton!
  • Options
    Defensively he was just awful. Even Pardew and parky could see that.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]Defensively he was just awful. Even Pardew and parky could see that.[/quote]
    Youga anyone?
  • Options
    I think he only ever had a couple of decent games for us and both times he had Lloyd Sam playing in front of him, they did seem to work well together. Trouble is, I always thought his best position was Sams position. I think we might have lost a better winger than a full back.
  • Options
    yeah youga seems to have been given the chance to work on his defensive problems in the first team, but moots didn't.

Maybe he did have discipline problems, but as far as i know this is rumours. and how many of these problems were because the manager would rather play anyone at right back instead of give him a chance.

i'll be sad to seem him go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    never a defender in a month of sundays scunny aweay proved that
  • Options
    Well whatever the jury says, I'm sure there are plenty on here that will declare him guilty.
  • Options
    It is hilarious that Youga is given a bye, yet when you see the highlights of the first half of last season, sooooooo many goals have Youga chugging back out of position whilst an opposing player is steaming through a Youga shaped hole. But that's not a mistake a la Mouta cos Youga ain't nowhere to be seen to make a mistake.

Unfortunately having one player who makes the occasional calamitous mistake at full back, and another whose more pourous than a government press office just get's you nowhere. The solution was pretty simple.... drop Youga.
  • Options
    Moo2, although not the finished article, has the potential to be an international player imo. However, we never nurtured him properly and he should have been in the team week in week out learning the game and if so by now we'd have a player on our hands. IMO anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Moo2, although not the finished article, has the potential to be an international player imo. However, we never nurtured him properly and he should have been in the team week in week out learning the game and if so by now we'd have a player on our hands. IMO anyway.

Nurturing is a two way thing........................isn't it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Moo2, although not the finished article, has the potential to be an international player imo. However, we never nurtured him properly and he should have been in the team week in week out learning the game and if so by now we'd have a player on our hands. IMO anyway.

Agree 100% with this.
  • Options
    Moo2, although not the finished article, has the potential to be an international player imo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moo2 WILL never get a full international cap for France. Not good enough for that level. In my honest opinion.
  • Options
    We need him off our wage bill. From Pardew's available budget. A move would free up much needed funds and he will not play again under current regime that is abundantly clear.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]We need him off our wage bill. From Pardew's available budget. A move would free up much needed funds and he will not play again under current regime that is abundantly clear.

I'd rather the current regime left than Moo2.
  • Options
    Is Cranie still at Portsmouth? That would make an interesting reverse of last season - Moutaouakil being brought in to challenge him for a place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Moo2, although not the finished article, has the potential to be an international player imo. However, we never nurtured him properly and he should have been in the team week in week out learning the game and if so by now we'd have a player on our hands. IMO anyway.

Nurturing is a two way thing........................isn't it?

Yes, amongst equal adults it should be. But, he was young, in an alien and somewhat Muslim hostile culture, spoke no English and was presumably stuck by himself in a hotel room. He didn't drink or party, so in my book that made him vulnerable and in need of nurturing himself. I only know that I found him to be a very pleasant and friendly young man whom I instantly liked. I'm struck by the number of people who say the same thing after they've met him.
    I thought he was a footballer with potential who should have been played on the wing. I've heard the same rumours as everyone else and agree that things have broken down irretrievably and his reported behaviour was unacceptable. I still believe it need not have been this way, it was poor handling and I'm very sad to see him go.
  • Options
    As will Waggott and Weaver!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]Defensively he was just awful. Even Pardew and parky could see that.

That's really a myth on here, he's no worse defensively than Youga, but things happened off the pitch and his mistakes on the pitch stood out a bit more than Youga's. Parkinson helped Youga get his confidence back (and had more cover from Bailey compared to Bouazza), while Yassin never got that chance.
  • Options
    Always rated Yassin, always excited me seeing him bombing down the touchline on the few occasions he actually got to play. He offered a threat, maybe not the best defensively but nor has any of our defenders in the past few years.

Think Yassin will go on to prove us wrong for not playing him tbh, despite all the rumours he has had loan player after loan player...but then looking at that maybe there was something wrong with his game during training to make Pardew/Parky bring someone else in before him....Maybe, guess we'll find out if he moves away, but unlike the last few years we have Richardson, who I think will prove to be a very good signing and Solly in reserve.
  • Options
    Looked a cracking wing back but seems his behaviour is the issue and since we need harmony he has to go. Think he'll make a great signing in the right team though
  • Options
    As well as wanting to see the team win, one of the reasons I watch football is to be entertained, Yassin was one of the few that had the potential to do that with his speed & skill. He is def not the finished article and if he went to Pompey he would have to knuckle down and improve before getting in their first team however there is no doubt he has the potential to do this and be a decent player at that level.

I agree with the posts above that Charlton just do not seem to have had the ability / inclination to nurture a young lad from a different culture and integrate him properly into the set up.

Personally I think he could have solved our winger issue this season, with him on the right and Sam moving to the left we would have had pace and ability on both sides of the pitch, and Moots can cross a good ball too.
  • Options
    youga and moots both defensively crap and as always a great player whilst not in the team
    stick him in the simon walton camp of crap charlton signings(for where we were at the time)
  • Options
    i always felt moo2 didnt really get a fair enough crack in our first team which he deserved, i remember when we first signed him he looked very good both going forward and defensively. Then he got injured a couple of games in, which since then he has never been given a good run in the first team.

All i say on this matter whether moo2 signs for pompey or whoever, best of luck to him. i feel we have once again either ruined or misjudged a player and i am sure he will prove this
  • Options
    Don't forget that this is the club that took Traore off us...

Good luck to Moo2, he obviously has something as a player and has no future at Charlton while Parky remains there, more so we've just signed Frazer Richardson, so it's best we get his wages off the bill and he gets to re-start his career. At least he'll be closer to France...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Don't forget that this is the club that took Traore off us...

I doubt they'll sign him anyway. It's a bit like some of the trialists we've had this summer, probably not an improvement on what we have, some not even good enough for League One, but we gave them half a game or so just to have a look at them. Portsmouth are just doing the same here.