Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Loan signings

Something we've not enjoyed seeing a lot of over the last couple of years, and the shear number of them we've had coming in and out of the club hasn't helped the stability of the side. But with 2 weeks to the start of the season and massive holes in the squad, loan signings look our best bet right now.

How many could we expect to see for the Wycombe game? I reckon 2, followed by 1 or 2 more before the end of August.

Also, what standard of player could we attract now. Most likely Championship reserves or inexperienced teenagers from Prem sides.

I just hope lessons have been learnt from the past, and we don't end up seeing another season with nearly 40 different players playing for the team.

Comments

• Options
    I honestly think I've been scarred for life in regards to loan signings due to the last couple of years. One of the only positives I've been able to come up with for the new season is that we'll have a team of actual Charlton players rather than the mixture of reading/sheffield united reserver we've been used to over the last couple of seasons. Centre back is a BIG problem now though.
  • Options
    IMHO I'd rather not have loans and instead play are youf. We need people to play for the shirt and loanees, from what I've seen in recent years, don't seem to pull their wait. I also think that in terms of balance and consistency loanees create more problems for us. I appreciate we are getting to a point, with less than 2 weeks to go before the season starts, where the 'holes' in the squad need to be filled. However I'd prefer us to try and fill these with what we currently have in the 1st, reserve and youf set-up whilst still trying to bring a few signings if we can afford to do that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]I honestly think I've been scarred for life in regards to loan signings due to the last couple of years. One of the only positives I've been able to come up with for the new season is that we'll have a team of actual Charlton players rather than the mixture of reading/sheffield united reserver we've been used to over the last couple of seasons. Centre back is a BIG problem now though.

Beat me to to it!!!! ;-) Wish I could type faster! Agree with your sentiments entirely. ;-)
  • Options
    Getting the right players on loan is fine, but not players that are trying to get fit or the type of player that doesn't really want to be there.

I'd like to see youth players come through, but just throwing in two or three of them wouldn't get us any where and we'd be in trouble. We have some decent youngsters but they aren't all ready. Look at Wagstaff, used too early and took a long time to build his confidence back to what it was.
  • Options
    with the exception of jonjo, nothing that has come through our ranks in recent years fills me with any hope and the reason we find ourselves where we are is cos most of them aren't good enough
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Getting the right players on loan is fine, but not players that are trying to get fit or the type of player that doesn't really want to be there.

I'd like to see youth players come through, but just throwing in two or three of them wouldn't get us any where and we'd be in trouble. We have some decent youngsters but they aren't all ready. Look at Wagstaff, used too early and took a long time to build his confidence back to what it was.

Agree completely, Scoham. People often say they'd rather the youth players played, but most moaned when the club announced if would be a 'Charlton XI' sent to Barnet, mainly made up of youth players. Also, as you say it's a lot quicker to destroy a player's confidence than to rebuild it.

I have no problem with loan players, I don't believe they were any more culpable than the full-time Charlton players that turned out last season.
  • Options
    I don't mind loan players especially if they're on six month or full season contracts. Just sign up players who are fit and physically capable of doing the job. So if we've got a squad of one paced, smallish, and positionally inept defenders don't sign players coming back from long term injury and one's who are undisciplined in their position.
  • Options
    I think a lot of people blame loans, but we've just made bad signings. We've brought in some dire permanent signings that haven't really worked like Toddy, Gray, Spring, Shizzle, Burton, Varney et al. Good loan signings, like Ward, can be great, particularly in our situation. I say Blackpool's ability to punch above their weight has come largely from playing the loan game well.

Summary: blame the player, not the game.