Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Freebie strikers

Following the result over the w/end some people on CL were suggesting that we have a lack of teeth up front. I haven't manged any pre-season games owing to work commitments so wondered who people thought we could bring in. Seeing as we have no cash at the moment looks like we'd have to go for freebies.

The loan idea personally has no appeal. Seen enough loan players at the club over the last few years to last me a life time. With that in mind would you have a punt on Carl Cort.
Released by Norwich, recently trialed with Wycombe, powerful striker, could be what we need at this level.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]
    Released by Norwich, recently trialed with Wycombe.

I think you've answered your own question there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]
    Released by Norwich, recently trialed with Wycombe.

I think you've answered your own question there.

That'll be a no then! ;-)

Other ideas?
  • Options
    All I know is we need at least one new striker. No idea who.
  • Options
    Up front is the only place where i don't think we can afford to go for a freebie, unless it's Lita!

Any money we have needs to be spent on firepower and even one decent striker may not be enough.
  • Options
    Would have to agree with that. Not much problem finding for example decent full backs on frees and loans, or a back up goalkeeper, but it's going to be hard to find a goalscorer cheaply and ignoring the lack of numbers at centre back it's the weakest area of the squad. Though at the moment unfortunately frees and loans will probably be all we can sign.
  • Options
    We are in talks with this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_P%C3%A9ricard

Should be unveiled on Thursday, if medical all goes well.
  • Options
    Please tell me you are joking, Pericard is awful
  • Options
    On 24 August 2007 Pericard was sentenced to four months in prison after being found guilty of perverting the course of justice.[6] This came after he lied about being the driver of a car caught speeding at 103mph near Plymouth. He was released from prison on 20 September 2007[7] but, following problems with his electronic tag, he was rearrested on 12 October 2007,[8] although he was subsequently re-released later that month.[9] On 14 March 2008, Southampton confirmed the loan signing of Pericard until the end of the season.[10] Pericard, after seeing his first team opportunities disappear at Stoke following their promotion to the Premier League, signed a 93-day loan on 20 February 2009 with Millwall.[11]

Not the Charlton way I think
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Really are desperate then. Though looking at his career, he's mainly played in the Prem and Championship, might be good in League One if we get the best out of him.

Who edited wikipedia?
    He is rumoured to be in talks about a move to League One misfits Charlton.
  • Options
    119 apps in 10 years scoring 19 goals. Not scored since 2006/07, played only twice last season, when on loan at Millwall.

Should fit in well then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yeah i just looked at his stats, that is not good! played 5 games in 2 years, sounds like a poor mans todorov. although i am sure he was highly rated when he first went pompey, but looks like injuries have ruined his career.

Anyone heard anything on Kandol? i think he would be quality in league 1 either him and dicko or burton mix it up a bit
  • Options
    Makes you realise how shite we are when even the fans struggle to come up with any realistic suggestions better than Carl Cort, Vincent Pericard & Kandol.

I know some sunday league players better than that lot.
  • Options
    I'd rather sick with Fleets than sign Pericard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]Anyone heard anything on Kandol? i think he would be quality in league 1 either him and dicko or burton mix it up a bit

If Kandol was that good he'd still be a regular for Leeds.
  • Options
    Pericard is gash. Utter, utter gash.

Cort, on the other hand, I might have him in the squad. Very unlucky with injuries (sounds like a Charlton player already!) but, provided he put in the effort, would be a more than useful target man at this level. Of course, I couldn't say whether he'd put the effort in - I'm suspecting that on a pay as you play deal he might.
  • Options
    How about Waghorn on a season long loan? - We might be able to get him in buckshee as he needs experience. I'd rather have a decent loanee (that we could return if they get injured) than sign crocks like Pericard or Cort.

We should take the money and run on Fleetwood, he's poor in the air and offers nothing more than Mcleod or Dixon imo.

Scoham, that was Johnnybev that mentioned Kandol, I'm not overly enamoured of him either, but Leeds have better strikers than Kandol, do we?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imnot Athletic[/cite]How about Waghorn on a season long loan? - We might be able to get him in buckshee as he needs experience. I'd rather have a decent loanee (that we could return if they get injured) than sign crocks like Pericard or Cort.

We should take the money and run on Fleetwood, he's poor in the air and offers nothing more than Mcleod or Dixon imo.

Scoham, that was Johnnybev that mentioned Kandol, I'm not overly enamoured of him either, but Leeds have better strikers than Kandol, do we?

That's a fair point, though I don't see Kandol just as a poor player, but not an improvement on what we have. A different option to Burton, that's about it. If he's the best we can get I guess he could be worth trying alongside Dickson again. At least they had one game together in which they looked a dangerous.

And agree about Fleetwood, such a strange signing when he's a very similar player to Dickson and McLeod.

We could look at signing Waghorn again yeah. I think the Championship was a big step up for him but he could be useful in League One.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]And agree about Fleetwood, such a strange signing when he's a very similar player to Dickson and McLeod.

we've got the best non scoring forwards about
  • Options
    For f@@k sake if this twat plays for us then the bells must be a tolling!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Cort, on the other hand, I might have him in the squad. Very unlucky with injuries (sounds like a Charlton player already!) but, provided he put in the effort, would be a more than useful target man at this level. Of course, I couldn't say whether he'd put the effort in - I'm suspecting that on a pay as you play deal he might.

Would agree with that. Was certainly a very promising player once-upon-a-time. Haven't really seen any better suggestions kicking around so I would be willing to take a punt on him, provided any deal was heavily weighted in our favour, i.e. very low basic salary with most of his pay coming from appearance and performance bonuses and on a short term deal with an extension clause triggered by a certain number of games and/or goals.

We'd still need to be looking for another signing though, because we'd be foolish to put all our eggs in such an injury prone basket.

Definitely prefer him to Kandol or Pericard though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]For f@@k sake if this twat plays for us then the bells must be a tolling!

How is it fair to call him a twat?

He got signed by us whether he's good enough or not - Blame Pardew!
  • Options
    I think the Carl Cort suggestion has a lot of potential, particularly if he is a freebie and may well see us as a great opportunity. At this level it is very hard to come up with many better suggestions.
  • Options
    I remember seeing Pericard coming on for Juve in a (meaningless) CL game and thinking he could really develop, but sadly he seems to have just got worse and worse. I'm not sure he's even good enough for League One. Carl Cort, similar. Big head with lots of injury problems and a first touch that makes his old strike partner Euell look like Leo Messi. I just want a big lump of a striker in the Jon Parkin/Dele Adebola/Chris Brown mould.

God, times is hard.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]For f@@k sake if this twat plays for us then the bells must be a tolling!

Calm down Dazzler, I was actually talking about Pericard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I remember seeing Pericard coming on for Juve in a (meaningless) CL game and thinking he could really develop, but sadly he seems to have just got worse and worse. I'm not sure he's even good enough for League One. Carl Cort, similar. Big head with lots of injury problems and a first touch that makes his old strike partner Euell look like Leo Messi. I just want a big lump of a striker in the Jon Parkin/Dele Adebola/Chris Brown mould.

God, times is hard.

I'd have loved to get Adebola, but we've sunk so far even he's out of our league these days. Grim times indeed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]

Calm down Dazzler, I was actually talking about Pericard.

Sorry Pilchard didn't notice that lol
  • Options
    Carl Cort has just signed for Brentford
  • Options
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    I read somewhere that Pericard joined Cardiff on trial